My FUT today with Dr. Paul Shaprio

Unfortunately, I worked a double shift yesterday from 6:30 AM-midnight and I am the type that needs to unwind before falling asleep; so I didn't go to bed until nearly 2:30 AM. I woke up in sort of a panic, because originally planned on waking up at 5:30 AM but I must have turned off my alarm clock. Thankfully, for such an occasion, I decided to set multiple alarm clocks, so I officially woke up at 6 AM. Also, thankfully, I did most of my morning things the night before; got my shirt and pants ready, got my financial stuff in order, etc...

So I wake up, wash my hair, eat my recommended breakfast, and left for Shapiro Medical Group at 6:30 AM (I live about 45 minutes from them.) However, 45 minutes during rush hour means almost 2 hours. Lukely I arrived 10 minutes prior to my appointment where I was greeted kindly by a man whose name I forget who asked me what I would like to eat for lunch. I choose General Tso's Chicken with pork Fried Rice. It was delicious.

Following that, I was very nicely welcomed by Dr. Paul Shapiro where we talked about what I expected with the procedure. I explained that I would like to strengthen my hairline (obviously) and to look as though I am not balding. He proceeded by taking measurements of my density (which told me what his brother had previously told me -- I have an average/below average donor density and I have an extimated 6000-7000 grafts via FUT, if I choose to proceed further in the future). However, today I used rougly 3,300 of those grafts, however, that leaves a significant amount that I can use for the future, not including FUE and BHT. Instead of explaining how we used the grafts, I will upload pictures. Unfortunately, despite my dreams, we decided, mutually, to be conservative on my hairline for many reason, much of which you guys probably already know about for such a young patient such as myself (24 years old)

Following the consultation, Dr Paul excorted m to the oportation room, where I took my pre-op medications. Additionally, I was greeted EXTREMELY WARMLY by everybody there with a smiling face.. If you haven't been to an opporating room for something that such as this, you wouldn't begin to understand the pressure and nerves that are built within you. We exchanged laughs about certain things and proceeded to the point of no return.

Then came the anesthetics. I'm not one that enjoys being pricked all over the head with needles, but let me tell you, they were very very very very concerned about my pain threshold and made sure that I felt as little pain as possible. To be quite honest, I didn't feel much pain at all, throughout the whole procedure

When it came to taking the strip, Dr. Paul informed me that it actually looked at though I had a greater density than was previously thought (80 grafts/cm in the middle and 60-70 in the outsides). That gave me a sigh of relief, as I frankly need as much as I can possibly get! :)

It was incredibly interesting watching everybody work so diligently and so professionally. I wanted to ask so many people so many questions, but I didn't want to interupt them while they were dissecting my grafts -- heaven forbid I lose my already low density!)):eek: Although, I couldn't help asking some of them how my grafts looked as far as 1,2,3,4 hair grafts. They were actually surprised at how many 3 hair grafts that I had compared to the average Joe. So hopefully that effects my overall results!

Finally, the placements. They worked very extremely efficiently and were extremely nice (duh, it's Shapiro Medical Group) They had a nice TV with selections of movies and even YOUTUBE!! I was flabbergasted at how awesome it was. Dr. Paul kept checking in on us to see how things were going and make sure that everything was being placed perfectly. Matt Zupan and Dr Ron even came to pay me a visit. Surgery was completed by 6 PM (Wow the Valium really make the time fly by!)

Before I left, post op pictures were taken and I thanked the remaining staff from the bottom of my heart for giving me a new live, a new opportunity to live.

Now, I wait, and give you guys some pictures

Before I post the pictures, my family was a little confused as to why my hairline wasn't as low as they were expecting it to be. Even to me, it is a little higher than my dream hairline would have been, but that's something I will have to address in a future hair transplant, provided I can maintain what I currently have. (I am not complaining at all, as I agreed with Dr Paul that this was probably the best approach for my case as of this point)

Now, for pictures!

5b32d8a705ba8_Postop1.jpg.c300b261ff36d56bb3f2f6950810807b.jpg

5b32d8a723056_Postop2.jpg.d2a37dc773e6c869b608b34fbb0dd069.jpg

5b32d8a731e02_postop3.jpg.89d6a161c8dcd775e84b885f65d2d004.jpg

5b32d8a74640e_postop4.jpg.04657a6159a204613383ad396e08c525.jpg

5b32d8a75f8c4_Postop5.jpg.90c2909e9a802952034357227b7bc2d7.jpg

5b32d8a7751cc_postop6.jpg.3f621f6a9679630a98594568b9582d29.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your hairline is just fine, it is not a juvenile hairline, but given your age, I think a higher hairline is better, because it will cost you a lot of grafts to fill in the temples. Once the hair grows out, it'll fall over the front, which I believe is how you used to style it earlier. You'll still have a bigger forehead, but this placement makes sense to me. What's also good is that he gave you a triangular hairline, with the tip coming to the front, and sides pulled back, I personally think widows' peaks can look very good.

Do you have clear preop pics? Good luck.

Your hairline is just fine, it is not a juvenile hairline, but given your age, I think a higher hairline is better, because it will cost you a lot of grafts to fill in the temples. Once the hair grows out, it'll fall over the front, which I believe is how you used to style it earlier. You'll still have a bigger forehead, but this placement makes sense to me. What's also good is that he gave you a triangular hairline, with the tip coming to the front, and sides pulled back, I personally think widows' peaks can look very good.

Do you have clear preop pics? Good luck.

Yes I do have pre-op photos, but they aren't as clear as these.

Hair1.jpg.19dfa2d9cde3dc57c11549de6af11732.jpg

5b32d8a7a24b8_Hair2.jpg.cdbe5695d9d649f0ec0ab9f0e94ea4bc.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

sucks to be so young and have to do all this right? im 25 and just had mine, also a higher hairline than i wanted , but we only have so much hair to work with, did you know that to lower your hairline 1 cm would take like close to 1000 grafts?

sucks to be so young and have to do all this right? im 25 and just had mine, also a higher hairline than i wanted , but we only have so much hair to work with, did you know that to lower your hairline 1 cm would take like close to 1000 grafts?

Yeah, that's something I talked about with both Dr Ron and Dr Paul. If I can maintain healthy growth in my crown/vertex, they said they would have no problem coming back and lowering it. The good thing about this though is that I will be able to actually grow hair in front now, and find a style to make the forehead look smaller. Soo, that's what I'm going to plan to do.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Nick153452.

I can understand the hairline questions. After I got my HT, non-balding friends were not impressed with the conservative design. Most people who are not well educated on surgical hair restoration don't understand that success relies upon balancing a limited donor supply with an acceptable appearance of fullness: coverage vs. density.

I'm sure this will have an extremely positive impact on your appearance and perhaps you can lower it later on if your existing hair holds out.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Nick,

Congratulations! Personally, I think the hairline placement is appropriate. This should be an excellent result, and I'm really excited to watch your case progress.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nick,

Congrats on your procedure buddy. Trust me when I say it's frustrating to not be able to have an unlimited donor supply, but I echo what everyone else here says about it being a well-thought out hairline design.....Dr. Shapiro wouldn't lead you wrong!! Once the hair starts growing in, I think you're going to be a really happy camper. Given that you had a large number of 3-hair groups, you're going to get the advantage of a denser outcome as well. I am just 6 months post-op from my almost 4800 graft surgery....and I can say that having hair again.....even if it's not the amount I want to have.....has made a huge impact on my overall self-confidence. I am looking forward to following you on your journey!! Congrats, and thanks for sharing such a detailed account of your experience with the rest of the forums!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Nick,

Congratulations! Personally, I think the hairline placement is appropriate. This should be an excellent result, and I'm really excited to watch your case progress.

Thank you. I was really looking forward to hearing your reply, as you are a very active member of the forum whose opinions I tend to learn quite a bit from. I started to tear up last night when I looked in the mirror because, no matter what, even if the hairline isn't my dream hairline, I was given a new life yesterday.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Nick,

Congrats on your procedure buddy. Trust me when I say it's frustrating to not be able to have an unlimited donor supply, but I echo what everyone else here says about it being a well-thought out hairline design.....Dr. Shapiro wouldn't lead you wrong!! Once the hair starts growing in, I think you're going to be a really happy camper. Given that you had a large number of 3-hair groups, you're going to get the advantage of a denser outcome as well. I am just 6 months post-op from my almost 4800 graft surgery....and I can say that having hair again.....even if it's not the amount I want to have.....has made a huge impact on my overall self-confidence. I am looking forward to following you on your journey!! Congrats, and thanks for sharing such a detailed account of your experience with the rest of the forums!

Best,

Mike

Thank you! I really wanted to leave a detailed response for Shaprio because frankly, they deserve every praise that I have seen given to them. They treated me like royalty, everyone was nice to me, and they also seemed to be such a tight knit family there. Truly a remarkable experience for me from step one. I look forward to updating you with pictures along the way. Most of my friends and family have absolutely no idea that I have had a hair transplant, so when I come back to the USA in September, I should look significantly different than before I went.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Great to hear that you had a top experience Nick. I don't think anyone would have expected to hear any differently when dealing with SMG though.

I think the design looks great. In 9 months you'll look back and think what the hell was I worrying about. I'm definitely a fan of conservative designs, particularly in young lads with extensive loss. You're in for some transformation!

Oh, also count yourself blessed that you live so close to a world class clinic! I'd say 90%+ of people have to get plains/trains/etc and travel for hours, sometimes days!

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Great to hear that you had a top experience Nick. I don't think anyone would have expected to hear any differently when dealing with SMG though.

I think the design looks great. In 9 months you'll look back and think what the hell was I worrying about. I'm definitely a fan of conservative designs, particularly in young lads with extensive loss. You're in for some transformation!

Oh, also count yourself blessed that you live so close to a world class clinic! I'd say 90%+ of people have to get plains/trains/etc and travel for hours, sometimes days!

Yes, in fact, I mentioned how lucky I was that they exist so close to home and how it was a major reason why I was able to get a transplant. In fact, there are a couple of clinics in Minnesota, none of which I have heard much about and none of which are recommended as world class on any sites I have seen. If Shapiro wasn't in Minnesota, I would probably still be sulking away me sorrows. It's interesting though how much more confidence I have already.

I went in for my day-after-hairwash that they provide, and they all greeted me kindly again, asked how I was doing. I even got the opportunity to thank some of the technicians that left before I was finished (the ones that weren't involved in the graft placements). Truly a group of wonderful people.

However, I never did get to meet Janna, as she is not in the office this week. Looks like I'm going to have to schedule my next transplant around her schedule! Everyone has told me great things about her.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

everything lookin good, your on your way to a very nice result, heal well and heres to great growth, once the hair grows in it will make a huge difference in your apperance, know comes the hard part ,the wait, just think each day is one day closer to more hair!

Congrats Nick on your procedure! Glad the planets aligned and you were able to get in at SMG. Must be nice not to have to travel too far. For those questioning the placement of the hairline and whether or not it is appropriate have them take a look at your before pics... is that an appropriate hairline for a 24 year old? Compared to where you started this hairline is going to look EXCELLENT!! We've seen that being too aggressive (low) with hairline placement with somebody like yourself (fairly young) often leads to misery. Given the dynamics of your situation I think this was the way to go, and as you stated, down the road you can always lower the hairline a bit if you have the donor.

Now comes the hard part dude: hurry up and wait!! :cool:

Edited by StaggerLee123
spelling

Congrats Nick on your procedure! Glad the planets aligned and you were able to get in at SMG. Must be nice not to have to travel too far. For those questioning the placement of the hairline and whether or not it is appropriate have them take a look at your before pics... is that an appropriate hairline for a 24 year old? Compared to where you started this hairline is going to look EXCELLENT!! We've seen that being too aggressive (low) with hairline placement with somebody like yourself (fairly young) often leads to misery. Given the dynamics of your situation I think this was the way to go, and as you stated, down the road you can always lower the hairline a bit if you have the donor.

I agree. And although it hurt me to admit, I wasn't going to argue with Dr Paul or Dr Ron, and Matt, who all independently came up with the EXACT same plan of attack. I realize I am a patient, with hopes and dreams, but I'd rather be content for the rest of my life, then living the high life for 2 years. In the end, I know that the experts are the people who know the best. I really look forward to sharing my results with you all.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Yeah man.. you're going to look like a different person. It's going to look awesome for sure.

Keep in mind that the hairline immediately post op looks much, much higher than it will 9 months down the road. Now that you actually going to have hair in front, you're open to a new world of style options. Once it gets to decent length up there, your forehead will just naturally appear smaller.

To give you an idea, I went in pre-op with 3/4 inch all around. After they buzzed me with a #1, my hairline became non existent all of a sudden. It's crazy what a quarter inch can do when you're at that length.

Yeah man.. you're going to look like a different person. It's going to look awesome for sure.

Keep in mind that the hairline immediately post op looks much, much higher than it will 9 months down the road. Now that you actually going to have hair in front, you're open to a new world of style options. Once it gets to decent length up there, your forehead will just naturally appear smaller.

To give you an idea, I went in pre-op with 3/4 inch all around. After they buzzed me with a #1, my hairline became non existent all of a sudden. It's crazy what a quarter inch can do when you're at that length.

I agree! Although I can't speculate the future too strongly, I have been looking at myself in the mirror a lot recently and gaining a deep appreciation of what it already looks like. My confidence has already skyrocketed through the roof, and I am finally optimistic about my future (something that I have never liked thinking about). I'll most definitely keep monthly updates! Thanks for the support.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

You will be surprised once it grows in how full that conservative hairline actually is. The hair obviously grows down plus it "puffs out" as Dr. Feller put it, which fills it in.

Along this 10 month road I've spent lots of time looking in the mirror wishing it could have been slightly lower, but now I'm getting a clear picture the hairline is excellent. Trust me, that conservative hairline will surprise you in how good it will look when it's all grown in.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

You will be surprised once it grows in how full that conservative hairline actually is. The hair obviously grows down plus it "puffs out" as Dr. Feller put it, which fills it in.

Along this 10 month road I've spent lots of time looking in the mirror wishing it could have been slightly lower, but now I'm getting a clear picture the hairline is excellent. Trust me, that conservative hairline will surprise you in how good it will look when it's all grown in.

Thank you so much for the message. I do agree with you and I am actually, as I have been saying, really appreciating the hairline they gave me. When I first got out of it, I was like, "OMG I'M STILL BALD" but with a little creativity, I am starting to see that I actually really like it, and it leaves me with more options for the future. I really wish I could just wake up in 10 months and see it at this point!! Arghh. 3 days post op is killing me! Not the pain, but the anxiety!!

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

What you have to remember is some people with higher hairlines never go bald and look very good!! Not everyone has a 3 finger hairline irrespective of mpb and that's not everyone's goal!! It's a nice shape and framing that's reqd, some people on here have a ht and to be honest they've already got what is be happy with!! I think you'll be very happy in 10 months time and that's what matters how you feel inside about yourself!! It's been said many times, no one NEEDS a ht it's not a life and death situation however people NEED To feel comfortable in their own skin and that's why we embark on this stressful hard journey but hopefully with time and a bit of look we get what we wanted which is a feeling inside that were happy with how our hair looks!! Good luck with it, chill out And don't worry, you went to a world renowned clinic and that's all YOU can do!!! Happy growing!!

well said indeed. Serious congrats man, I think you chose a great time to have a HT and that's fantastic news about your donor supply. It's a very slow process growing it back but it went by faster for me since i just rocked a hat all the time and didn't think about it.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.