Pre Surgery Panic

Soo, I have my first hair transplant with Dr. Paul Shapiro this Wednesday, and am scheduled for around 3000-3,500 grafts into the frontal portion of my head. I am extremely excited, yet at the same time nervous! What if 3,500 isn't enough to get my to where I want? What if I don't react well or have side effects to the finasteride that I am going on post-op to maintain and thicken the crown? Did anyone else have pre-op jitters?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Everyone has nerves, and its hard to rationalise your decision sometimes!! I'd think " am I really getting a hairtransplant!!" And what I'd this and what if that, but then is look in the mirror and the hairline that I hated so much and struggled to make look half decent and the risk to reward ratio kicks in!! Can I just plod on as I am?? No! Could I be happy as it is? No! I think you have to try if your very unhappy with your hair or you will forever be what if ing!!! However if people are ok shaving down or not that bothered about there hair then i wouldn't entertain having a transplant!! There is a risk involved but if your not happy as you are then remember why your doing it!! I flew over to Belgium on my own and was staying for 5 days, and in the hotel room the night before was sat there thinking am I really going to do this, I'm in Belgium on my own about to get a feckin hairtransplant!! Then I had a shower, brushed my hair, and looked at the reasons why I needed to change my hair so badly and thought could u just go home now and except it as it is?? Save all this money and hastle, recovery times, lieing to people where iv been and what iv had done, see my kids before 5 days?? And the answer was no I couldn't!!! So I relaxed and thought your here to get sorted, suck out up and get on with it!! I'm over 2 months out now and I still get the" I can't believe iv had a ht" thoughts but the reality is I have, and so far I'm glad I have!! Any worries just ask and good luck!!

Everyone has the jitters. Even I did, and I was going to the doctor that I work for and who I trust competely!

If you require more grafts than originally recommended then I'm sure that can be discussed with the doctor. The Finasteride may or may not help the crown, but has a good success rate in working for that area.

Dr Shapiro is very good. These words have become a bit of a cliche but you're in very safe hands!

All the best for Wednesday.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I wouldn't worry. Shapiro are one of the best around.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Just spend some time looking at the awesome results Shapiro Clinic puts up. That should put you in a positive mind frame!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Totally normal feelings you are having. You will be fine. Shapiro is one of the very best and I am betting you will be happy in the end.

Good luck.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Thanks guys! It's reassuring to know that I'm not just being a hypochondriac! I am well aware that I am in some of the best hands in the world (which is not common for someone like me), and I am not doubting, nor have I ever doubted their abilities. My initial panic was sort of, "Omg, 3 days until the knife, no turning back, I really hope I can accomplish what I wanted to accomplish with only 3,500 grafts". But I am feeling optimistic about it today.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Just spend some time looking at the awesome results Shapiro Clinic puts up. That should put you in a positive mind frame!

Exactly what you should do. Take a look at all those NATURAL looking heads of hair and it should calm you down a bit.

Good luck!

good luck with your upcomming surgery, im pullin for ya, heres to great growth and a great scar, i think being nervous is very normal, ive been researching the boards for a long time, and i never heard a bad word about SMG,yuor in great hands, enjoy the ride

Hi Nick,

This is definitely not uncommon. I hope you'll take some comfort in the fact that you selected an excellent hair transplant clinic. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Maybe asking these questions will help settle your nerves a bit.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Good luck tomorrow, Nick.. you'll be fine. Just remind yourself why you're there in the first place: your existing hairline is not cutting it (no pun intended).

The big key is to mentally prepare for the "regret" phase.. because you're going to look and feel like crap for a few months. You'll second guess your decision for sure.. totally normal.

You're putting your trust in a world class doctor. That's the best you can do.

Nick,

I think you were the one who posted about "having been in the ugly duckling phase for the past X years". You and me both!! Now it's time to get out of it...

Best of luck though you wont need it. Lord Ron and Sir Paul are magicians at this game.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

DUDE YOU WILL MISS THE SHAPIRO CLINIC AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE! I'm serious they are so nice an professional, that at least one point in the day (if not the whole day), you will feel like royalty.... Relax, you did the hardest part and did the research.... Take care

You only live once...

Thank you all for your kind words. I just got off of a 17 hours shift (Yeah I probably shouldn't have done that before a huge surgery like this, but they needed my help) When I wake up, it will be the starting of a new life for me. I will take pictures and update you as soon as I can/am physically able to

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

For all of those who have followed me throughout my experience, I have created a new thread, in detail and with post op pictures

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?p=2349668#post2349668

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments: