• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or 10,000 to 1, no way of knowing the real number, not that it matters, nowhere near as many complaints about bad fue scarring.

True...but it is really hard to compare years and years of FUT with a relatively new concept. The numbers are just not there to make a fair comparison as to over-all patient satisfaction and complaint level. Hasnt there been horror stories from NEOGRAFT which is FUE? All FUT is not created equal and so it seems with FUE.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

(This is where I picture you guys hugging like the brothers did in the movie "Stepbrothers").

Ive got nothing against Shampoo at all. After all the debating and arguing i still bet he is a sweetheart of a guy. We just have differening points of view. Hugs all round!!

Read the whole thing, a lot of the questions and answers and bickering seem to get repeated a lot, but in my opinion, Mickey made the most sense.

Good luck with your repair, shame that you had strip, same mistake that I made and my scar was a mess from it.

Thanks champ, i apprciate that. Sadly my procedure did not go as smoothly as most. I should have either gone fue or not done anything at all. Its why i tell guys with very minimal hairloss to just enjoy their lives. Spend the money on a month long holiday in a tropical climate. Id like to chat with you about your repair because i have heard bits and pieces. I will PM you soon. Sleep time for me hehe.

Thanks champ, i apprciate that. Sadly my procedure did not go as smoothly as most. I should have either gone fue or not done anything at all. Its why i tell guys with very minimal hairloss to just enjoy their lives. Spend the money on a month long holiday in a tropical climate. Id like to chat with you about your repair because i have heard bits and pieces. I will PM you soon. Sleep time for me hehe.

Sure no problem

True...but it is really hard to compare years and years of FUT with a relatively new concept. The numbers are just not there to make a fair comparison as to over-all patient satisfaction and complaint level. Hasnt there been horror stories from NEOGRAFT which is FUE? All FUT is not created equal and so it seems with FUE.

I personally don't consider Neograft to be fue, it's just a disaster really.

I consider fue to be grafts extracted with a manual punch, motorize it and it's motorized fue.

I personally don't consider Neograft to be fue, it's just a disaster really.

I think NEOGRAFT is actually just the name of a machine that performs FUE.

I am no expert, but I think most doctors using Neograft describe it as FUE.

In fact Dr. Umar describes Neograft as an "automated FUE extraction machine".

It seems Neograft is a real black mark on the FUE industry.

not really, Neograft is just a blackmark on itself and any of the Drs who use it.

My opinion is that fue is done with a manual punch by hand, if it's motorized it's fue, but motorized.

This is my opinion and you can take it or leave it no problem.

not really, Neograft is just a blackmark on itself

All that I've read refer to Neograft as FUE.

It's certainly not FUT.

If Dr. Umar refers to it as FUE that's good enough for me.

Even their ad says FUE.

hqdefault.jpg

This surgery workshop also refers to it as FUE

Neo.jpg

By the way, I'm only stating my opinion, not telling you what you should think, if you want to think it's fue and that it gives fue a bad name that's fine.

Ok, but I just think if we are going to point out and harp on all the so called negatives about FUT then it is fair to discuss Neograft which is clearly one form of FUE. (see quote below, and other graphics I have already posted)

The NeoGraft, like any other FUE device

In fact I would think it is a bit irresponsible to be stressing how great FUE is, how FUE has all these supposed advantages over FUT and not discuss the problem of Neograft in the FUE industry.

Newbies browsing the forum could easily read these threads in the FUE/FUT debates and think "hey FUE sounds great"....then they see the countless ads in every major city offering FUE Neograft and book a surgery based on the FUE cheerleading and get major disappointing results from Neograft FUE.

I just think patients need to be aware of Neograft FUE which is really being pushed as the new savior and sold as FUE. Several friends have asked me about "hey this Neograft is being advertised on the radio...whatta ya think? I know if I was a newbie and was maybe considering a top FUT doctor like Arocha, Feller, Lindsey, Hasson, Wong, ect...ect...but was swayed that FUE was better and ended up going with Neograft it could be a disaster.

Edited by Shampoo

Im in a country where ht's are not really advertised but i am totally against the Neograft system as it sucks the graft out, tearing the bottom of the graft out from the the surrounding tissue. Surely there could be a chance of damaging the actual roots and/or the protective and supportive tissue around the grafts. The slow motion video i have seen of the suction effect also shows that the grafts could get caught between the scalp and the suction pipe, possibly shearing the protective tissue surrounding the graft. The graft canister where the grafts get sucked into and stored until collection is also flowing with constant air which could dry them out. Not a fan at all.

Technically Neograft is just another tool used for FUE. FUE by definition is the removal of individual follicular units directly from the donor scalp with a small punch of varying size so Neograft does indeed qualify as being FUE.

The comparison could be used for multi-blade scalpels in strip surgery. No self respecting doc would use one but it's still strip surgery.

The problem with Neograft, aside from the mechanics, is that it offers a low financial threshold for non-HT doctors to get involved in surgical hair restoration. It is relatively inexpensive to purchase and all you need is one tech at most to work with the doctor. The cost of the machine is basically covered in less than two weeks if you run it Monday through Friday. Everything from there on out is profit. Neograft is marketed to any and every clinic that wants to make a fat and fast buck and it is just one problem with modern hair restoration.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Ok, but I just think if we are going to point out and harp on all the so called negatives about FUT then isnt it fair to discuss Neograft which is clearly one form of FUE. (see quote below, and other graphics I have already posted)

In fact I would think it is a bit irresponsible to be stressing how great FUE is, how FUE has all these supposed advantages over FUT and not discuss the problem of Neograft in the FUE industry.

Newbies browsing the forum could easily read these threads in the FUE/FUT debates and think "hey FUE sounds great"....then they see the countless ads in every major city offering FUE Neograft and book a surgery based on the FUE cheerleading and get major disappointing results from Neograft FUE.

I just think patients need to be aware of Neograft FUE which is really being pushed as the new savior and sold as FUE. Several friends have asked me about "hey this Neograft is being advertised on the radio...whatta ya think? I know if I was a newbie and was maybe considering a top FUT doctor like Arocha, Feller, Lindsey, Hasson, Wong, ect...ect...but was swayed that FUE was better and ended up going with Neograft it could be a disaster.

I can see we are going round in circles and you just like to argue with whomever disagrees with you, even when they say you are entitled to your own opinion.

I disagree with you, this is my opinion, no need for you to keep 'harping on'

Before I leave this thread I just want to say that no one should ever have neograft.

I can see we are going round in circles and you just like to argue with whomever disagrees with you, even when they say you are entitled to your own opinion.

A message board forum is partly to discuss and weigh topics of interest, I do not see it as helpful or educational if people make blanket statements that others disagree with but the discussion ends there because it is best to remain silent. What good is "I think flap surgery is great, but everybody is entitled to their opinion. (so that means I dont want any comments about my love of flap surgery). I am sorry if you feel responding to statements by presenting another view is bothersome.

Im in a country where ht's are not really advertised

Mickey here in Dallas, there are slick radio ads of doctors boasting about "the new technology to restore your hair with Neograft". Some of them even talk about how no surgical incision is needed to remove donor hair. Some of these doctors have not been in the hair restoration business for very long. Really pretty sad that people can enter this business with such limited training. Let the patient beware.

Since you can't post links on this forum, go to YouTube and search the terms.

"Dr. Charles Powell Talks How NeoGraft Can Treat Male Pattern Baldness"

This local doctor was featured on a local weekly medical show called TopDocs.

That is really unfortunate. I don't think the Neograft has any positives at all, in fact, I feel it is detrimental to FUE as a whole. There is a very close up video(with slow-mo replay) of the neograft at work on the donor which had me shaking my head. I have a suspicion(although not validated yet) that the Neograft uses larger punches because the suction pipe is the actual punch itself. But I won't say it is a fact just yet. Over where I am there are no ads for cosmetic surgery at all, the government is pretty stringent on what can go on air as to protect the public. Advertisements for cigarettes were outlawed many many years ago although alcohol ads are fine. Weird lol.

I agree with Joe regarding the NeoGraft. Unfortunately, NeoGraft originally marketed their device to patients as a new procedure (rather than just a device) that depends much less on the skill and experience of the operating surgeon. After creating enough interest, NeoGraft began targeting neophyte physicians and inexperienced technicians for customers.

As a result, NeoGraft the company has hurt it's own reputation with veteran patients who know better than to fall for the hype and expert physicians who know that hair transplant surgery (no matter which device they use) can only be properly executed by a skilled and experienced surgeon and staff.

In my opinion, the NeoGraft is just one of many extraction devices physicians can use during FUE. Some physicians may love it and others may hate it.

We recently published content on the NeoGraft on the Hair Transplant Network which discusses the reported benefits, limitations and concerns about the device and its marketing. Visit "NeoGraft Hair Transplant Machine" for more information.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 4 months later...

Oh my goodness. This thread has taken on a life of its own. I got an email saying there was a post on this thread that I posted on back in May so I took a look. Wow. Somewhere in the middle I see someone said I am either an expert on everything or I know nothing. I really couldn't tell which.

In any case...I don't know everything but I do know that FUE is hard and less predictable than strip. IF you want FUE meet the doctor who is doing it before you commit and make sure you discuss all of the issues. It is not scarless surgery, it is less consistent, and it is more expensive. AND I personally have not yet seen a way of eliminating doctor expertise via automation. That's not saying it won't happen, I just don't think its happened yet.

Either way, all prospective patients should get all of the pros and cons of their specific choices hashed out before the morning of the procedure. Sleep on it, then make your mind up and its way more likely you will have a good experience and result than if you just do a knee jerk reaction to a print ad. This applies to hair transplants, picking a spouse, buying a house and a variety of other life decisions. Take your time, there is no such thing as an emergency hair transplant!

Good luck,

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The quality or composite of the individual's scalp tissue is very important with FUE. Not everyone is a candidate for FUE because of this. There was a test called FOXX that was introduced some years ago by Dr. Bob Bernstein and Dr. Bill Rassman which evaluated the differences in one's donor tissue.

If it was too soft or "mushy", there can potentially be damage done to the surrounding areas where extractions are taken. Back then the punches were much larger and more collateral damage could be done.

It is the forces of torsion (twisting), traction (pulling) , and compression (squeezing), that can do this collateral damage, not to mention transection. This may be some of what Dr. Lindsey saw of the patient he spoke of. When FUE first hit North America, I saw a number of donor regions that had the "shotgun" appearance.

We must keep in mind that although FUE is becoming more and more refined, the harvesting premise of this technique is no different from the former punch out plug surgery. The main difference is that the FUE punches are much smaller and individual hair bearing FUs can be extracted individually.

As time passes, the instrumentation and manual techniques are getting better across the world. But I too tend to favor strip for larger procedures and/or when the patient has advanced classes of hair loss in their family history, meaning more surgery needed in the future.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Not everyone is a candidate for FUE because of this.....

....I too tend to favor strip for larger procedures....

Oh... You too? What a co-incidence!!

And is that for your head or for mine, that you personally prefer it?

Of course I wouldn't say never, but really, saying that some people have mushy skin, and therefore shouldn't get FUE is a croc.

So this mushy skin, leads them into a strip (conveniently for a composite clinic) Of course their 'mushy' skin is of no consequence for the strip scar, sutures, and all the vagaries and unpredictabilities that are associated with it strip scars, and I don't just mean bad strip scars.

I think you make sense only in the middle, when you wisely point to the improvements in FUE. Dr. feller once said, I'm aware of no improvements, in one of his torsion, traction etc, lectures.

One by one the myths that sustain the strip industry will tumble.

Edited by scar5