Whey protein effects on hair growth

When I first began to lose my hair at a rapid rate, I was taking whey protein isolate. This has given me a biased opinion on these supplements making me believe they may cause/attribute to hair loss (which are still with me).

I would like to ask if anyone has evidence that they do not in fact contribute to hair loss?

Many protein powders supposedly increase testosterone, this surely increases DHT production, so would it not cause further hair loss?

If this is the case for some powders but no others, which types of protein supplements would be best to consume without any effect on hair loss?

I have read something a few years back about whey proteins and hair loss, not sure if there was any conclusive evidence proving whey protein excelled hair loss... I would google it and see what comes up... let me know if you find anything of interest :rolleyes:

I've been researching it for over a year now, there are too many conflicting opinions and views to understand the full extent of protein powders on hair growth/loss. I can't tell who's credible and from where they are getting their facts from, so I'm looking here to see if anyone has any input.

When I first began to lose my hair at a rapid rate, I was taking whey protein isolate. This has given me a biased opinion on these supplements making me believe they may cause/attribute to hair loss (which are still with me).

I would like to ask if anyone has evidence that they do not in fact contribute to hair loss?

Many protein powders supposedly increase testosterone, this surely increases DHT production, so would it not cause further hair loss?

If this is the case for some powders but no others, which types of protein supplements would be best to consume without any effect on hair loss?

Hello 21years;

Let's make it clear protein powder don't increase testoterone and that it is not their purpose. Protein breaksdown hopefully to bio-available amino acids for use in cellular construction or easier said growth and body repair at a micro-level. That is the primary purpose of how protein is used by the body. An ancedotal connection is sometimes made because athletes of all types use perfomance enhancing drugs with supplementation of protein drinks. The use of anabolic hormones can be a contributor in these cases; but it is not the protein be it Whey, soy, fish or steak. Hope this helps. All the Best,Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

We can take it as read, that real exercise increases DHT - our dear enemy. So assuming the whole Whey, soy story isn't bunk, it must be implicated somewhere in the chain of events that leads to hormonal change in order to create muscle growth. I don't know whether it has been established whether there is a direct connection, but wouldn't more protein available lead to a general 'ratcheting up' of the whole chain of events? It is hard to resist the counter point, that extra protein actually helps, by offsetting or preventing some other sacrifice the system has to make up for when it is lacking proteins for rebuilding due to rigorous activity, at the expense of your hair.

So I am confused too, but anyway, bulking up hurts your hair, is what it looks like, but good sleep also helps this process. Do we suggest that good sleep f'()ks our hair? Perhaps, it does!

Michael James really hit the nail on the head!

There is no conclusive data indicating a link between whey protein usage and hair loss. Furthermore, from a biochemical/physiological standpoint, it really doesn't "pan out."

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

There is no conclusive data

Just like chocolate and acne. No conclusive data.

Does lots of chocolate give me zits?...hell yes.

Dr. Larry Shapiro has this to say (and it is not good)

**outside link removed by moderator**

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Just like chocolate and acne. No conclusive data.

Does lots of chocolate give me zits?...hell yes.

Dr. Larry Shapiro has this to say (and it is not good)

Whey Protein Isolate damages and accelerates hair loss

I've read Dr. Shapiro's claim along with the entire study he's carried out (available in a post somewhere on this site). Much of it makes sense, but the other half is advertising his product which in my eyes takes away from his statement's credibility.

Michael James really hit the nail on the head!

There is no conclusive data indicating a link between whey protein usage and hair loss. Furthermore, from a biochemical/physiological standpoint, it really doesn't "pan out."

I suppose it's impossible to determine the true effects then. Scar5 however has brought up another question:

Regardless of using whey protein, if exercising increases testosterone (in turn DHT), should I discontinue any demanding exercise routine (such as moderately heavy weight training) in order to help preserve my hair?

A lot of guys are interested in this topic, and myself also.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

should I discontinue any demanding exercise routine... in order to help preserve my hair?

Yes, you should cease to improve yourself in anyway and resign yourself to being the real you....the slothful lazy fiend you know you are...and that baldness has reminded you to be..:) Happy New Year!!

Sorry...meh...you should get/stay on fin, and that's about it, but my answer is just a moral one, not objective. Cause asking yourself to do something to feel better is often a two edged sword. You can maintain your delusion that your direction is good if the ship stays in ship shape! But I had an injury that prevented me from exercising for a while. It was such a downer. maybe my hair improved a bit, I doubt it.

If you want to investigate, get your DHT level taken, after no exercise for three days, three times, 10am or there abouts, (DHT increases in the afternoons) then do the same after some heavy workouts. let us know..and then we might have some objectivity.

Speaking of which, it wasn't that long ago, that people on these boards denied exercise had any effect on hormones. They used to say it is all rubbish etc. Now it is beyond dispute. Even the wiki will tell you. But again, people's intitial reaction was a moral reflex. It just seemed so inhospitable to the soul to say such things. A bit like saying home cooking, or eating with your wife will kill you. (perhaps the latter can be true!)

P.S. And I concur. Shapiro's product promotion discredits the claim..Guess, he should disguise it a little better.

Edited by scar5

Yes, you should cease to improve yourself in anyway and resign yourself to being the real you....the slothful lazy fiend you know you are...and that baldness has reminded you to be..:) Happy New Year!!

:D lol, classic scar5. ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I would say no . Correlation does not equate to causation. If it caused hairloss then all bodybuilders would be bald. In addition, it would cause hairloss all over the head rather than the top which is classic MPB

Those who have lost their hair know the mindset that goes with it , specifically, thinking of all of the possible reasons "WHY" they are losing hair

- shampoo

- stress

- vitamins

- their brush

- wearing hats

- etc.etc.

The fact of the matter it is almost always MPB ( I am not talking about the minuscule percentage of people who have special situations).

Been there done that! Oh yeah and I proudly take Whey protein now and I still have my transpanted hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi

I was referring to the use of whey protein as the title indicates . Almost all BB use it as it is the best of the protein supplements

Regards

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

ah ok. i assumed you were referring to weight lifting as you were talking about body builders. I know BB use it (so do i) but weight lifting definitely has an impact on hormones whereas whey protein is just a supplement....any arguement regarding hair loss and whey protein should be around the chemicals used to make it.

anyway my point still stands, the issue is not to find the cause, which we (almost certainly) know is due to DHT destroying hair of those genetically predisposed to MPB, but to see what can be done to slow down hair loss. Since people experience regrowth its definitely possible!

If you want to investigate, get your DHT level taken, after no exercise for three days, three times, 10am or there abouts, (DHT increases in the afternoons) then do the same after some heavy workouts. let us know..and then we might have some objectivity.

A DHT test at Labcorp is in the range of $189. Ouch. Do you know of an effective way to get insurance to pay for it, or a place where it is much less?

• 8 months later...

I went to a Trichologist to see about my MPB. She asked about what supplements I take and had a list of things that as she said "can contribute to hair loss". I understood that to mean it doesn't cause hair loss but can speed it up but not in everyone. Whey protein isolate was one of them. She also sais that whey protein concentrate won't have the same effect as long as you don't take too much of it. I bought the help hair shake and have been using now for a few months. So far so good. I'm not sprouting heaps of hair but my hair does seem better with less shedding.

I went to a Trichologist to see about my MPB. She asked about what supplements I take and had a list of things that as she said "can contribute to hair loss". I understood that to mean it doesn't cause hair loss but can speed it up but not in everyone. Whey protein isolate was one of them. She also sais that whey protein concentrate won't have the same effect as long as you don't take too much of it. I bought the help hair shake and have been using now for a few months. So far so good. I'm not sprouting heaps of hair but my hair does seem better with less shedding.

I definitely noticed more hair falling on creatine, but I haven't noticed it since I began taking whey protein isolate a couple months ago. I take one scoop per day of ON 100% Gold Standard.

My muscles have gotten slightly bigger, but the most significant thing I've noticed it they've changed shape. I was getting blockier muscles before, and now they're leaner and look a lot more attractive.

I'll continue to monitor, but I haven't seen an issue yet.

One critical factor that I wonder about, is if whey users also were on Propecia and Rogaine. I am.

Your trichologist said whey isolate can cause hair loss? Yikes

Would you be so kind as to post the list of the things if you still have it?

Your trichologist said whey isolate can cause hair loss? Yikes

Would you be so kind as to post the list of the things if you still have it?

Sugar. Look at the guy's history before you take too much stock. He is pimping the "hair shake" pretty hard. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also, welcome back. How is the hair? Did you have any subsequent surgeries?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Sugarhighs,

She said that things like anabolic steroids, whey protein isolates, creatine, growth hormones, arginine, and what really surprised me energy drinks. They have arginine and high levels of sugars. She started explaining about different

metabolic pathways but I kinda got lost on that.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Muscles need hormones to tell them what to do in terms of growing or atrophizing (is that even a word?)

Go the muscle/power web sites. See what these guys are taking and why. Then try coming back here and saying that supps don't effect hair or conversely, you might decide that supps are all pretty much a croc and therefore harmless to anything but your wallet and waistline through the calories.

Some of these guys are actively trying to BOOST DHT! Not even just test., but DHT itself - the evilist of evils - and they have data to show how creatine mono-this or mono-that can do it.