I Feel Like Ending it :-(

Feeling so low and Depressed ..... I Can't handle it Anymore

0 Balding History in DAD's Family............. Maternal Grandpa @#$%^& passed his Inferior gene to me ... Maternal Uncles Not Balding.... My Elder Bro who is 25 shows no Signs of Hairloss...

Its very sad to be the only one Balding in the Family....... When you are always made fun of... Its very embarrassing when Toupee TV commercials only applies to you and everyone stares at me :confused:

I hate attending Family Get together's.... I am only 21 and Would be a NW2A within 1 or 2 years...... I am going to look older than my uncles and DAD....

Such a cursed one I am..... Why me.....???? :confused:

Society treats people according to how they look.... Certain times people just ignore my words just because of Hairloss :confused:.... Cousins are well treated just bcoz they have Hair... Dammit

My DAD who is a thick NW1 at 56 asks me to act Like a MAN.... WTF?? Losing hair at 21 is a BIG DEAL ...while everyother ENjoys life I aM onlly concerned about nothing but MY stupid HAIR....An avg looking JOE like me gets Completly f***d up with this s***...

I DOnt even have confidence to Stand in front of a GIrl...:(

SOrry for the Post but i don't feel like i would never be Happy Again... Day by day its only going to be worse.

GAAWDD pls make it Happen...End the world by 2012... I Dont wanna live anymore.....:(:(

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
language.

Hi mate

Most of us have had those feelings at some point. Losing hair is devastating for some, yet there is hope out there. You are probably too young for surgery but there are steps you can take to slow down the loss, such as finasteride and minoxidi; these are long term though, so you will have to weigh up the risks. Don't let it get you down and you have made the 1st step to recovery by joining us

Good luck

Dude. Calm down and relax. There is hope. I was in the same boat as you when I was 21. Don't let hair dictate the way you live your life. Your 21 and in a few years, you'll be working and making the big paychecks to save for a transplant. Some will say go on the pills, but it won't help on the hairline.

If it still bothers you that much, save your money and plan for FUE procedure. I'm 34 and wish I had done my procedure sooner. But hair transplant technology has gotten better in recent years. Doing my procedure was one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. And someday, you can experience this too.

So hang in there.

I remember the first time someone mentioned to me at 25 years old "hey are you losing your hair?". Yes it was devastating and a shock, but life is full of pot-holes and we must adjust to the cards we are dealt. You must decide how you want to deal with the cards you've been dealt. Most guys never do anything and just accept balding for what it is. Others take a more pro-active approach and fight the battle tooth and nail. All those you mention that have full heads of hair most likely have different issues they are dealing with other than hair. Ok you've been cursed with hairloss, but others may have obesity problems, phobias, alcohol problems, drug problems, illness, cancer, family problems, school, employment problems. Everyone is faced with struggles, your's happens to be hairloss, but none of the people with perfect hair escape from some struggle.

The hair transplant industry has progressed so far in recent years that you will have so many options to choose from. Plus at your age medical science will likely continue to push the envelope on solving this problem. Down the road if you continue to progress towards balding I would go see an elite hair transplant doctor and put a long term game plan together as far as meds and surgery. Don't let worries about the future steal the present.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

It is interesting. When I read your post, I said to myself "I bet this guy is from India" and then clicked on your profile to see that you are indeed. For some reason, hairloss in India seems to have such a negative stigma and shaving ones head is also frowned upon. The only person who used to comment non stop about my hairloss was an Indian co-woprker of mine who I would see once a year. He himself is very bald and for some reason was so interetsed in commenting about my hairloss. I have since had a sucessful Hair Transplant and how look 100 times better and when I see him now, he does not say a word. Most likely he is perplexed and does not know what to say.

Anyway, back to the point. Indian's (I assume the ones higher up in society) tend to be very vain and I hope I am not sending disrespect here but I have been to India multiple times and know many people from there so I think I can comment in a somewhat informed way about the situation. That is not to say other parts of the world are not vain as well but I think the hairloss stigma is the worst in India (As is infertility and other issues). The difference is that having these kinds of issues in India seem to bring a feeling of shame on top of all the other phycological issues they bring.

As far as what you can do about it. First, do calm down. You are only a NW2. That is nothing and I dont know why people are even commenting on it. A NW 2 in my opinion is not even enough to say you have hairloss. My borther was a NW 2.5 at 18 and now he is 41 and his hair is as thick as can be with only minor temple recession to speak of. Your loss may stabilize and it may just be your hairline maturing. Think about getting on finateride to be safe.

For the time being, forget all those idiots that are trying to tear you down and remember that at least 60% of those guys will be balding by the time they are 40. As was mentioned, you are lucky to have been born in a time when major advancements in hairloss are being made. If you do start severly balding, likely by that time, even better treatments and solutions will be available.

Good luck

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

If you feel suicidal you need to get help immediately. Depression, no matter what the cause, is a serious thing. If you feel this bad you need to talk to someone about it now. There is no shame in feeling hopeless and down, but again do not let this continue without doing something about it.

baldat21,

This community can provide you with information on those hair loss treatments that work and those that don't. We can also offer you some basic support and encouragement since we're all in the same boat.

However, if you are seriously depressed and/or contemplating suicide, I implore you to speak with someoneand get help immediately. To start, I suggest calling a friend, a family member and/or fellow loved one and tell them how you feel. I also strongly suggest speaking to a trained cousnelor who can help you work through your depression.

In addition, if there is something specific we can help you with, please let us know and we will do our best to encourage and support you as you explore treatment options and more importantly, emotional healing.

Best wishes,

Bill

Can't decide:

Your observations are anecdotal of course, however my own observations are commensurate with this. I don't know if Indians are the worst in this regard, however I am Indian American with a number of family members in India and they were the most vocal about my hairloss cracking jokes and laughing in my face. One day, out of the blue an uncle who is bald said I should wear a turban. At first I didn't get why he would say it, but in retrospect I think he was being facetious. The thing is, they will crack on you in your face in the presence of others and don't give a damn.

Baldat21: don't worry man, I know how it can be. And you know shaving your head is getting in fashion in India, finally. Look at the guy from Vishal Shekhar: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Vishal_shekhar_live_hungama_concert1.jpg

I think he pulls of the shaved look nicely. You will need to bulk up though, being a scrawny guy with a shaved head makes one look sickly as opposed to macho. Hang in there man. Get blood work done though to make sure you dont have any deficiencies, and consider getting on natural aids like saw palmetto and maybe some ayurvedic medicines. Also, at this point get on Nizoral shampoo if not done so already. 3 x a week, 2-3 minute soak each time, then rinse. I wouldn't get on finasteride until you are absolutely sure it is MPB and not some other issue (inflammation, deficiency, etc.). If it is MPB and you are comfortable with finasteride, start with .5mg approximately. You don't need to take 1mg per day.

Edited by recedingboy

I agree with Bill; if you are really feeling this depressed and hopeless, you should talk to someone immediately. You really don't need to feel this way!

Our community can definitely help with your hair loss issues, but I highly recommend seeking immediate assistance with the depressive symptoms.

If you need anything, please feel free to send me a private message at ANY time.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanx guys for those kind advices.... I was feeling very depressed yesterday :mad:

I feel sorry for having born in a family with 0 hairloss... None of them would understand my feelings... its not their fault.... I would also never give a **** about it if i wasn't balding....

So I always act like it doesn't bother me.... but deep inside its killing me... that fun loving guy is dying inside me.... I am now like a reserved one... :) What i like now is Loneliness

India is probably not a country to live on if you are gifted with the gene.... When you go out you see a lot of Flex Boards about "Hair oils that's going to sprout out Hair from slick bald Spots" , Tons of Boards (Virendar Sehwag, Gautham Gambhir Testimonials... Hope you know them)... And whats even greater is out of every 15 Television Ads there would be atleast 2 ads About Hair Fixing and Hair Systems... And yet what's funny is that none of them wears these kind of ****....

argghh Just leave it...

Doc's here doesn't prescribe Fin.... 2 months ago i went to meet a Trichologist who confirmed its MPB.. but refused to prescribe me fin because i was not accompanied by my parent... After few days i somehow managed to bring my father to him.... Doc explained the Side effects and said that Doctors here aren't that desperate.... We left the room in silence... Later Dad just bursted upon me in the Car... I Still remeber the exact words he Said :( ("Whom do you think you are a Celebrity, a Film actor... U want to turn into a female.... Shut your hole and never bring me to these kind of Drama's... Just live with it" )... That was the first moment i felt sorry for Him in my entire life.. He was never fit to be a DAD... I mean i would try to understand my son's feeling if i were him..

.OK so now here's what i am going to do... I am going to Get a prescription for Fin somehow. and Getting on it ASAP.... I Don't know if i'm doing it right... If any permanent sides occur then i would have to deal it on my own and expect no support from my Family....

If hairloss halts within an year then i would just sell my Motorbike to get an FUE and correct my Hairline.... My maternal Grandpa was a NW 2A when he died... He developed this during his 20's and just maintained it till he died... I hope it doesn't go beyond that...

And like some of you said... Shaving head is not Accepted in South India... Society just relate you to Gangsters, Rapists... heh ... :rolleyes:

I really hope a real cure comes in the meantime... I have to start making some real Big Cash... I am not going to beg in Front of anyone.... :cool:

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
language

Thanx guys for those kind advices.... I was feeling very depressed yesterday :mad:

I feel sorry for having born in a family with 0 hairloss... None of them would understand my feelings... its not their fault.... I would also never give a shit about it if i wasn't balding....

So I always act like it doesn't bother me.... but deep inside its killing me... that fun loving guy is dying inside me.... I am now like a reserved one... :) What i like now is Loneliness

India is probably not a country to live on if you are gifted with the gene.... When you go out you see a lot of Flex Boards about "Hair oils that's going to sprout out Hair from slick bald Spots" , Tons of Boards (Virendar Sehwag, Gautham Gambhir Testimonials... Hope you know them)... And whats even greater is out of every 15 Television Ads there would be atleast 2 ads About Hair Fixing and Hair Systems... And yet what's funny is that none of them wears these kind of shit....

argghh Just leave it...

Doc's here doesn't prescribe Fin.... 2 months ago i went to meet a Trichologist who confirmed its MPB.. but refused to prescribe me fin because i was not accompanied by my parent... After few days i somehow managed to bring my father to him.... Doc explained the Side effects and said that Doctors here aren't that desperate.... We left the room in silence... Later Dad just bursted upon me in the Car... I Still remeber the exact words he Said :( ("Whom do you think you are a Celebrity, a Film actor... U want to turn into a female.... Shut your hole and never bring me to these kind of Drama's... Just live with it" )... That was the first moment i felt sorry for Him in my entire life.. He was never fit to be a DAD... I mean i would try to understand my son's feeling if i were him..

.OK so now here's what i am going to do... I am going to Get a prescription for Fin somehow. and Getting on it ASAP.... I Don't know if i'm doing it right... If any permanent sides occur then i would have to deal it on my own and expect no support from my Family....

If hairloss halts within an year then i would just sell my Motorbike to get an FUE and correct my Hairline.... My maternal Grandpa was a NW 2A when he died... He developed this during his 20's and just maintained it till he died... I hope it doesn't go beyond that...

And like some of you said... Shaving head is not Accepted in South India... Society just relate you to Gangsters, Rapists... heh ... :rolleyes:

I really hope a real cure comes in the meantime... I have to start making some real Big Cash... I am not going to beg in Front of anyone.... :cool:

Sounds like a plan. Don't be too hard on your father. Sometimes people just can't understand how we feel. We all need to vent sometimes and it really helps if you can find someone who will listen to you and not judge.

Because the men in your family do not bald to any great extent you could just be experiencing a maturing hairline that will end up looking like your Grandfather's. Finasteride, Minoxidil, and nizoral are your best bets right now.

Good luck and find a confidant to vent to from time to time, it will help immensely.

Of course some people don't understand it. Look around at all the average Joe's and what do you see? Lots of fat, out-of-shape, ****-health people (at least in the US, you do). Some people start getting fat and immediately realize they don't want to be a fatass and lose the weight. Others say **** it and grow exponentially.

So of course with baldness, some people just say *** it and don't worry about it. But to those who actually take pride in their appearance, they sometimes want to *do* something about it (of course there's a third category here I'm omitting, and that is those who don't look too bad with or without hair). Of course the problem is, hair loss is harder to fight than weight gain, sometimes impossible to fight. Your dad can't understand because he knows people who've gone bald and didn't freak out about it.

If you move abroad, it would be more accepted. I'm blond, and I personally feel it's the worst to go bald when you're blond, light skinned, and with a big head like mine (except maybe if your east Asian...might be worse since it's so rare for them)

It sounds like you don't have the money to consider a transplant for a while (and you aren't a good age for it). Google "toronto movie hair". They make some good hairpieces, from the YouTube videos. I went the HT route, but now in my 20's, sometimes I wonder if I should've just gone the piece route, because my hair won't last forever.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
language.

If you feel suicidal you need to get help immediately. Depression, no matter what the cause, is a serious thing. If you feel this bad you need to talk to someone about it now. There is no shame in feeling hopeless and down, but again do not let this continue without doing something about it.

I cometely agree with this!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hey, if you have in fact confirmed it is MPB, I don't think getting the meds from a chemist shop is difficult. I would think in India you could tip the guys at the chemist shop and get what you need... always struck me as the place that sort of thing would work. I mean, if you can buy a politician I'm pretty sure you can get some finasteride.

If you are in south, maybe pay a visit to dr. radha rani, not for a procedure now, but maybe for some advice. Wait until you are NW3 or worse before considering HT.

I feel sorry for having born in a family with 0 hairloss... None of them would understand my feelings... its not their fault.... I would also never give a **** about it if i wasn't balding....

India is probably not a country to live on if you are gifted with the gene.... When you go out you see a lot of Flex Boards about "Hair oils that's going to sprout out Hair from slick bald Spots" , Tons of Boards (Virendar Sehwag, Gautham Gambhir Testimonials... Hope you know them)... And whats even greater is out of every 15 Television Ads there would be atleast 2 ads About Hair Fixing and Hair Systems... And yet what's funny is that none of them wears these kind of ****....

argghh Just leave it...

You are 21 years old and you need your parent's at a doctors visit to get meds in India??

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Baldat21

At your age, if you start taking propecia/finasteride and combine that with rogaine (or regaine in australia and some other countries) you will most likely turn it all around. There is a website in India which is an online pharmacy AllDayChemist - Prescription drugs, Generic medicines, online indian Pharmacy where you can buy both finasteride and rogaine (or their generic equivalent) and have it delivered.

Seriously man your way to young to be stressed like this over something that you can take control over. Anyway, try both and wait at least a year, I guarantee you'll see significant regrowth.

Good Luck.

It get's better :)

Feeling so low and Depressed ..... I Can't handle it Anymore

0 Balding History in DAD's Family............. Maternal Grandpa @#$%^& passed his Inferior gene to me ... Maternal Uncles Not Balding.... My Elder Bro who is 25 shows no Signs of Hairloss...

Its very sad to be the only one Balding in the Family....... When you are always made fun of... Its very embarrassing when Toupee TV commercials only applies to you and everyone stares at me :confused:

I hate attending Family Get together's.... I am only 21 and Would be a NW2A within 1 or 2 years...... I am going to look older than my uncles and DAD....

Such a cursed one I am..... Why me.....???? :confused:

Society treats people according to how they look.... Certain times people just ignore my words just because of Hairloss :confused:.... Cousins are well treated just bcoz they have Hair... Dammit

My DAD who is a thick NW1 at 56 asks me to act Like a MAN.... WTF?? Losing hair at 21 is a BIG DEAL ...while everyother ENjoys life I aM onlly concerned about nothing but MY stupid HAIR....An avg looking JOE like me gets Completly f***d up with this s***...

I DOnt even have confidence to Stand in front of a GIrl...:(

SOrry for the Post but i don't feel like i would never be Happy Again... Day by day its only going to be worse.

GAAWDD pls make it Happen...End the world by 2012... I Dont wanna live anymore.....:(:(

Hello BaldAt21;

Man, I really emphasize with you. One of my very best friends had diffused thinning hair in high school. In the party macho days of young manhood and chasing girls he was already sporting the friar tuck thing...I experienced his angst first hand, though later on I would have my own journey. Let me this mate, society has a lot of *&^%@# hang ups as you mentioned and your feelings are quite normal. On this forum we help each other through. I would by happy to accept your call offer free advice if you like. We can Skype or I can send an toll free number to my office. It may be hard to put a smile on your face but many have been where you are. This forum is about sharing and helping one another. You are not alone on this journey...many of us have been where you are. Hope to hear from you, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 1 month later...

Hey bro!

Been through all of those feelings and now at 40 plus, I enjoy a full head of hair. All of the suffering and pain is gone but there is always something else ( see the Buddah)

Remember, it is not forever and many of your peers who have hair now, will not in 20 years!! You can always take meds and get a HT if you wish at a later time!!

You are young and remember, you still have hair now!!!! Take action and enjoy your life

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bald@21;

You had some concerns over the holidays and as we enter this New Year, just wanted to follow up and see how your attitude is towards your hair loss and what professional advice and steps you might have taken. All the Best, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 2 months later...

So sorry to hear about your feelings. I have been there, my condition caused me to feel very depressed and turned me from an extrovert into an introvert. I started to have major hairloss at 30. I do think you need to see someone to discuss your feelings and hope you get it sorted out soon.

It is interesting. When I read your post, I said to myself "I bet this guy is from India" and then clicked on your profile to see that you are indeed. For some reason, hairloss in India seems to have such a negative stigma and shaving ones head is also frowned upon. The only person who used to comment non stop about my hairloss was an Indian co-woprker of mine who I would see once a year. He himself is very bald and for some reason was so interetsed in commenting about my hairloss. I have since had a sucessful Hair Transplant and how look 100 times better and when I see him now, he does not say a word. Most likely he is perplexed and does not know what to say.

Good luck

This is a very valid comment. In India people openly make comments about your looks straight to your face, which westerners take as offensive. I get it everytime I visit India. Hair loss in India is something to be mocked, it's brutal. Shaved heads are also uncommon. Going bald in the US is much better than going bald in South Asia and perhaps East Asia.

I feel for the guy, I've gone through the same with the same reaction. Get on the finasteride buddy.

This is a very valid comment. In India people openly make comments about your looks straight to your face, which westerners take as offensive. I get it everytime I visit India. Hair loss in India is something to be mocked, it's brutal. Shaved heads are also uncommon. Going bald in the US is much better than going bald in South Asia and perhaps East Asia.

I feel for the guy, I've gone through the same with the same reaction. Get on the finasteride buddy.

I agree.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

All I can say is: it gets better. If hairloss is the worst superficial thing to happen to you during your life, consider yourself lucky. It sucks, but its a process that effects millions upon millions of men, and most of whom will go through their lives normally. We men catch a big break in life, be aware of that. We can lose hair, gain an immense amount of weight, and yet still manage to be superficial and hold absurd standards that we can actually match with significant others (my father was practically bald when he married my mom, who, by all accounts, was far more attractive than he was). It's different for women. Be aware of that privilege and learn not to worry so much.

The finality of it is what bothers us, and the sense of powerlessness to it also makes us cringe. We often treat it as worse than death because its happening as we speak. But, you will get over it. Why? Because once you leave your early 20s you'll realize that it becomes less and less of an issue. I was miserable in college. But now that I'm in the "real world", I'm finding that it just doesn't seem to effect me like it did in the past. I have actually gone on more dates since college than during my young years.

Honestly, it sucks, a lot, but it will get easier. You will adjust. Like everything else in life, time will heal it and you will adjust and you will become the you that found it absurd that you ever cared so much. Hang in there and stop focusing on it. Anxiety and depression tend to feed on themselves and only grow as they swallow us deeper and deeper. Only you will have the power to control that.

• 4 weeks later...
All I can say is: it gets better. If hairloss is the worst superficial thing to happen to you during your life, consider yourself lucky. It sucks, but its a process that effects millions upon millions of men, and most of whom will go through their lives normally. We men catch a big break in life, be aware of that. We can lose hair, gain an immense amount of weight, and yet still manage to be superficial and hold absurd standards that we can actually match with significant others (my father was practically bald when he married my mom, who, by all accounts, was far more attractive than he was). It's different for women. Be aware of that privilege and learn not to worry so much.

The finality of it is what bothers us, and the sense of powerlessness to it also makes us cringe. We often treat it as worse than death because its happening as we speak. But, you will get over it. Why? Because once you leave your early 20s you'll realize that it becomes less and less of an issue. I was miserable in college. But now that I'm in the "real world", I'm finding that it just doesn't seem to effect me like it did in the past. I have actually gone on more dates since college than during my young years.

Honestly, it sucks, a lot, but it will get easier. You will adjust. Like everything else in life, time will heal it and you will adjust and you will become the you that found it absurd that you ever cared so much. Hang in there and stop focusing on it. Anxiety and depression tend to feed on themselves and only grow as they swallow us deeper and deeper. Only you will have the power to control that.

Imagine how bad it is for a balding gay male who holds ridiculously high standards as well as his perspective partner!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

But to be frankly honest, it's hard to say that balding isn't a big deal for some because, for some, it may be the biggest deal in the world! Unfortunately, our society places a ridiculously large emphasis on beauty and not enough on the things that should matter.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

• 6 months later...