Hair Transplant...Would you do it again

I am considering getting a procedure at Hasson and Wong. Getting cold feet a little bit, not due to the clinic, but about the investment of time both now and in the future. I have no intention of making this and FUT vs FUE thread. I would just like to get the opinions of people that have gone through the experience and whether or not it was worth it in the end. My problem is that I despise using meds despite being on propecia currently. I am experiencing minor sides. I am 28 and a class 3A progressing towards a 5 or 6 in the end. So, back to the original question.....would you go through with it again?

gb83....Over a decade ago I had a small by today's standards hair transplant. In one week I am having my second transplant and I chose Hasson/Wong. So yeah I think it's worth it. I will keep you informed of my progress. As far as cold feet, yeah I am a bit nervous, but to me it all boils down to "pain in the mirror". Sure it's a hassle, sure it's an investment now and in the future, but for me it all came down to growing more and more frustrated with getting ready in the morning and looking in the mirror. At your age maybe you can deal with it a bit longer, but eventually guys like us that just can't accept balding take the leap.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

personally i would absolutely do it again. I believe i wont have to have another procedure for quite sometime, but when the time comes I would not hesitate to go through the experience again. I honestly believe that hair transplantation is not that big of a deal if you go to a great doc, which you clearly are. Like shampoo said, it really boils down to if you can accept or cant accept. my ritual of putting on toppik and having to comb my hair a certain way everyday and worrying about wind and rain became too much wasted energy for me. the ability to move on from this makes ht absolutely worth it for me. also, i'm not a doc, but if your experiencing sides, I would forget meds or at least cut the dose. have you spoken to h&w about this? best of luck with everything, you chose an excellent doctor!

Yes! The only regret I have is that I did not do it years earlier. I'm very pleased with my results and look forward to the day when I can start planning for #3.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yes!

I would love to say i would have done it sooner, but really, i probably wouldn't, or maybe 1 year sooner.

Now the technologies and techniques have been fine tuned and refined so much, i'd have another one tomorrow in a heart beat!

2800 FUE, Istanbul

100% yes.

I had two session so far,both by medicore clinics with not too great result (due lack of research,etc at the time) but still don't regret it.because there is improvement to some degree.with research and choosing a top doctor you shouldn't worry.if hairloss bother you and shaved bald look just doesn't suit you,HTs + medication are the way too go.

I would do it again - just in a different way. I wish SMG would have been my first stop.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I'm 9 days post op on frontal area and already dreaming of being able to go back and have a session to thicken up the crown, so yes! And this is meant to be the worst phase too, yet I would still do it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I would 100% also, did couple of the early plug transplants and a scalp reduction when in my late 20's by some Baby Bosley's back in the 80's. Now I'm 18 months out from a 3000 graft FUT and I'm 53, took about 24 years to thin some more and decided to fill in the gaps and do my crown with Dr Keene in Tucson. Very happy with the results back then and now, I'm sure you'll make the best call for yourself.

Thanks guys for your response. Any issues with an FUT scar?

At first I was only interested in fue. I absolutely did not want a lateral scar. After over a year of research and the fact that I wear my hair on the longer side I opted for fut due to the greater chance of a better yield IMO. The scar has been in all honesty the biggest non-issue for me. However, if you do wear your hair short fue might very well be for you. Do your research, and figure out what's best for you

• 5 months later...

great responses,, this day and age especially if you have a top doc the only real problem you can run into is a nasty scar, at least thats what im so dam worried about,, nobody finds the scar bothersome? i mean i guess its worth it to have hair on top right

.....the only real problem you can run into is a nasty scar......nobody finds the scar bothersome? t

Nah, trust me, the scar is a non-issue. Don't take any notice of those who try to you otherwise.:cool:

As long as you keep enough hair to comb over it, you'll be alright. You might look like a douche, but as far as the scar is concerned, you got that sucker covered!

And whatever u do, avoid the repair sections you'll see on other websites. Repair Me, more like Despair me. Lol

Seriously now, plenty are real, real happy people with strip and everything concerning their HT and clinic and never look back. No doubt there are a few in every bunch for whom fate will spell despair and with strip, there is no going back.

Nah, trust me, the scar is a non-issue. Don't take any notice of those who try to you otherwise.:cool:

As long as you keep enough hair to comb over it, you'll be alright. You might look like a douche, but as far as the scar is concerned, you got that sucker covered!

And whatever u do, avoid the repair sections you'll see on other websites. Repair Me, more like Despair me. Lol

Seriously now, plenty are real, real happy people with strip and everything concerning their HT and clinic and never look back. No doubt there are a few in every bunch for whom fate will spell despair and with strip, there is no going back.

I'm delighted with my strip scar at 6 months, but I know now from posters like you that it was by no means a guarantee......I suppose it's a risk you have to decide whether or not you're willing to take. So far so good for me, though.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Thanks for the patronising reply ;)

You missed the "at 6 months" part though.

i figured if in the future my scar is visible (i have bad-thin donor area) i will goto HIS hair clinic in nyc and get that camouflage tattoo into the scar, wont be 100 percent but prob much much less visible, plus its cheap to do, what do you guys think about HIS hair clinic

great responses,, this day and age especially if you have a top doc the only real problem you can run into is a nasty scar, at least thats what im so dam worried about,, nobody finds the scar bothersome? i mean i guess its worth it to have hair on top right

I'm only 5 months from my op, and I can't see my scar no matter how hard I look. Hairdresser can't see it either. It's gone, it seems.

As for whether this was a good move, I'm hoping it will be. Already the top of my head has thickened up, but the transplant hair is still thick and wiry. It will grow out in time, but you know - sometimes I just can't dang WAIT any longer! :)

I can't see my scar no matter how hard I look. Hairdresser can't see it either. It's gone, it seems.

:)

At five months the scar should have already done a lot of its streching and if you have no idea where it is with hair grown u r already better off than I was. I could see my scar, if I looked hard, but it didn't bother me in the least. But the biggest escape, IMO, is not scar width, but having a situation in that there is no bump, indentation, rise, buckling of the scalp or any obvious change to the contours or plane of the scalp. U can SMP into a scar and buzz it if it is flat. Any deviation makes the whole thing seem a lot more difficult.

I assure u the scar will be visible at buzz length but hopefully you'll never want to go there.

Now u have to hope

1) THe meds hold your crown as u age. (Didn't have this option, or chose not take in my case) as u age your hormone picture, balance changes too.

2) The second/third procedures you mostly likely will undergo, will not alter the things about the scar. it's another roll of the dice each time u go back for more.

Thanks guys for your response. Any issues with an FUT scar?

For reference (in relation to healing potential for scars and their final appearance - if done correctly), here is my scar a few days post-op (strip of approaching 2,000 grafts taken from that area). Ugly, huh? Looks like it would never heal!

Incision-3-Days-PostOp2.jpg

Here is my "scar" after about 2 years (pic taken about 5 minutes ago, just for you in this thread). It's there but barely visible, can you find it? My hair is kept in military-regulations, and was cut with a #2 shaver about a week ago. Dr. Gabel, did mine; see my HT Blog in my sig.

Scar-2-Years.jpg

I actually can't wait to go get another one, hopefully within the next 6 months. Filling in a little in the crown, a little bit directly in front of the crown, and lowering my hairline about 3/4 or an inch. I think I will actually do FUE this time though. Also, with the constant use of Finasteride, my hair loss has proceeded very little, if even at all, in the last 2-3 years.