FUE removal of ingrown prone beard hairs

Hey guys,

I've been dealing with ingrown hairs on my neck for awhile now (thankfully never on my face). It's not out of control but is still an unsightly pain and prevents me from shaving more often. It has me wondering if FUE has ever been thought of as a partial solution to these ingrown-prone areas. One spot that is most troublesome is a cowlick on my neck that is nearly impossible to shave around.

Of course, my beard/goatee could use some thickening anyways - so the grafts would be put to good use. I would rather not use beard hairs as scalp hairs.

So do you guys think this would be a feasible option? Would the FUE scars on the neck be smaller and less noticeable than the irritation I get from the ingrown hairs?

5b32d3370e34f_Photoon6-20-12at10_31AM.jpg.af2cae1967bfb681f536d4155f82a4a4.jpg

5b32d3371e165_Photoon6-20-12at10.31AM2.jpg.d0af6e5809872507757096dce978079d.jpg

5b32d33733ebc_Photoon6-20-12at10.31AM3.jpg.1ac19c085227b683839b636aa524670c.jpg

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

This would be a good question for a doc, specifically an HT doc with a background in derm.

I think that the fue scars would be a lot less noticeable, but I also think that a topical medication could be another alternative.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Just have laser hair removal on your neck and remove the hair follicle all together without leaving a punch mark.

Costs about ?80 for 6 sessions which should do it.

Worked for me, no more ingrowing hairs on my neck :cool:

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Just have laser hair removal on your neck and remove the hair follicle all together without leaving a punch mark.

Costs about ?80 for 6 sessions which should do it.

Worked for me, no more ingrowing hairs on my neck :cool:

Rob

Aaron,

I agree with s2thoudriver,

The skin in the neck is too loose so it'd be tough to fue the hairs out, not to mention possible white dot scarring. If you have a lot of ingrown hairs, it'll be better to laser them out or use electrolysis.

Not really an answer to your question but I've found the only way to stop ingrown hairs is to shave less and use an electric razor (e.g. Braun).

Shaving every 4 or 5 days does me and I use an exfoliating scrub daily in the shower.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

IMHO, electrolysis would be the best way to rid the ingrown hair "permanently".

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I'll definitely start looking into electrolysis - but it's tough for a MPB sufferer to permanently get rid of any kind of hair. ;)

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I'll definitely start looking into electrolysis - but it's tough for a MPB sufferer to permanently get rid of any kind of hair. ;)

Are you sure that you would not want those extractions implanted into your scalp behind your hairline?

I can certainly relate to not wanting to permanently get rid of any hair!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Are you sure that you would not want those extractions implanted into your scalp behind your hairline?

I can certainly relate to not wanting to permanently get rid of any hair!

Well, of course! I'd love to keep the hairs. But as Janna said, extracting them from my neck would be difficult so I'm not sure how many viable grafts I would get from my neck hairs. They are quite thick and coarse though... so hmmm..... hmmmm..... ;)

Aaron, I have the same issue right now. So, I grew my beard out to hide it lol. I know most people can't do that, but I had some time to. I would get the electrolysis, but might not. As some mentioned, I might want those hairs for later if needed lol. Might come handy for my crown in the future lol.

Right on Sean. I actually tried out something successfully last night. I used one of those battery powered nose-hair trimmers on my neck hairs. It seems that while it cuts close to the skin it's not close enough to cause ingrown hairs. I might get to keep these hairs after all! :D