i got 5,500$ to spend on ht, need help

Hello im alan, i live in springfield il, ive found no reputable HT dotors in st louis, just some doctors starting out in HT, and neographt, i had a consultation with Neograft and they said ill need around 1400 grafts. now ive been reading and hearing that chicago would be a better place for me to go, and that FUE might not be my best option, ive considered both strip and fue, im not afraid of a scar, im just want to know of the absolute best ht guy in chicago or around my area,. not only have i heard strip/scar is cheaper but it can yeild better results. i never cut my hair short its never any shorter and an inch. while i know i can get the 5500$ loan, i wanna find that just right doctor for my forhead line. what does anyone think about dr. turowski?

4johnybravo,

Welcome! We make it easy to find skilled and experienced hair transplant surgeons across the US and around the world.

For a list of the doctors we recommend in Chicago, click here. For a complete list of all our recommended physicians click here. To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Dr Raymond Konior you definitely need to see in Chicago.

I think Panine is also there from memory.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I would see Dr. Konior if I were going to Chicago. He is one of the top guys. $5,500 is not going to get you too far though.

You can find cheaper surgeons, but that is probably a bad idea.

SMG are really good too. They are a little more conservative. They and Dr. Rahal have the best price for the best results in my opinion. Chances are you will still need to up your loan though.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If you are willing to travel you can get cheaper. Then of course the cost of travel has to get factored into the equation. There will be those that tell you don't worry about the cost but cost is always a factor. The key is to not compromise quality for a few extra dollars. Its a matter of weighing risk vs cost. There are quality docs who are not considered "top docs" but still consistently produce quality results. I think the cheapest recommended on this board is Dr. Path in Thailand. There is also a doc in Thailand by the name of Pong who some members have gotten good results from but he isn't recommended.

Where are people getting that $5500 won't cover 1400 grafts? I had a planned 1600 grafts, which, even including travel expenses (Dr. Charles offers a travel allowance for out of state customers), I didn't hit $5k. If you are willing to do some leg work and research on the travel side (hit up ALL the travel sites for package deals and discounts), then I can see that being totally doable. Now I, of course, can't speak of results since I only had my surgery a few days ago, but I'm not worried as he has a great reputation.

There were even cheaper options out there, which I had decided against, but the norm seems to be $3-5/graft, I think that he should be able to be in good shape.

I would definitely go and see Dr. Konior and Dr. Keller in Chicago. You can get 3 different opinions from surgeons who consistently produce solid results. You have a couple of great clinics nearby. That said, I agree with others that I would not let travel stand in the way.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Johny save your money and see the best possible surgeon that you feel comfortable with. A HT is not something that you want to cut corners on believe me. If you need to stay in the midwest your two top choices imo would be Dr. Konior and SMG. The drive from Springfield up to Minnesota wouldn't be all that bad. E-mail Dr. Konior, he will personally email back right away and answer all questions you have. Same goes for SMG.

Good luck.

1) Drive up to consult with Konior in Chicago. He'll make it worth your while even if you don't get a transplant with him.

2) Then drive up 7 hours further to Bloomington, Minnesota and consult with one of the Shapiro brothers. Best in the biz.

3) Save your money. $5K won't get you very far. Try to save up $8-$10K at least. Depending on your level of loss and expectations you might need even more.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Get the very best you can't afford. You have to take a loan anyway I would save for the air faire/ coach/ train ticket or whatever and get to someone who can do a lot with the minimum amount of grafts. Tough decision and probably emotionally right up there with buying a huse, getting married and the rest.

No regrets is what we want

you could have two;

1 you chose a guy who was not upto scratch

2. you never went that extra mile and stretched urself to get the best you can't afford.

You need to go to the guys that get mentioned here the most, feller, lindsey, rahal, shapiro, and a few others

your future confidence, self esteema and quality of life is worth the extra it just is -

self esteema nd feeling good about yourself is the most important thing we as human can have take that away we become sheltered and never live a full life.

best

Uk R

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

-----------------------------------

Just want you to know, I'm a three-time customer of Dr. Panine (CHICAGO). I've had six total hair-transplants. Three with Dr. Christopher Gencheff who has retired, and three strip hair-transplants with Dr. Panine. I've known Dr. Panine for over three years, Stuart has been with both Doctors almost 30 years (totally committed, to his job), Marda (head nurse) has been with the both Doctors over 20 years, and Kinga who did the majority of my follicular graph insertions last time, is a gem. If you need approx. 1400 graphs, I'm sure Dr. Panine can provide this service with excellent results. I've only dealt with these two Doctors, but trust me if you’re concerned about the strip scar, you can apply good hair products. Good luck in your surgery-marcushair. :)

Edited by marcushair

If you are in the Chicago area IMO its Dr Konior hands down!!! I know Dr Panine is doing good work but Dr Konior has been around forever and his reputation is impeccable!! He is also a plastic surgeon which I think gives him an artistic edge...also, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet!! Definitely consult with Dr Konior!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I agree, Dr. Konior is the best in Chicago. Way better than Panine in my opinion. I love his work so much. Check him out Raymond Konior, MD. Hair Transplant Surgeon in Oakbrook Terrace , Illinois

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

NEWHAIRPLEASE,

I can appreciate your glowing recommendation of Dr. Konior, as I would be the first person to agree; he has fantastic results. That said, I believe that with a little bit more information you might come to the same conclusion but see the reasons for his results a little differently. You indicated in your post that he is a plastic surgeon, making him, "more creative" when it comes to hair restoration surgery. I don’t think that being a plastic surgeon is what gives him his creative expertise as there are plenty of plastic surgeons who don’t and won’t ever get the results that he does. His results are testament to his extensive experience, natural talent and dedication to his patients. I’ve worked with Dr. Panine, a colleague of Dr. Konior’s for 18 years and I’ve learned first-hand what makes a hair transplant surgeon stand out amongst the crowd. It isn’t something that is dependent on being a plastic surgeon, it’s something much more than that. It has been known since hair transplant surgery was in its infancy stages that both Plastic Surgeons and Dermatologists were in a great position to refine their core skill set to produce great results for patients. The founding father of surgical hair transplants was a Dermatologist. In addition to this, when the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery was formed, the American Hair Loss Council (AHLC) invited all of the specialty groups whose physicians performed hair restoration surgery to participate in a meeting to discuss the development of a Board Certification process for hair restoration surgery. The presidents of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery were each invited to send three representatives to a meeting to discuss the development of a certification process. Had both specialties not been considered leaders in performing the surgery, members from both specialties would not have been invited to send representatives to provide input on the certification process that would later be implemented to ensure that the board certified hair restoration surgeons were skilled enough to complete the surgery with safe and favorable results.

In conclusion, I would agree that both Dr. Konior and Dr. Panine are great hair transplant surgeons. All you have to do is look at the consistent results of both surgeons to see that. Both are board certified in hair restoration and both have decades of experience under their belts. Whether or not they are a plastic surgeon or a dermatologic surgeon is irrelevant; I firmly believe that it is the experience, raw natural talent and dedication to their field that allows them to excel in their field and give patients the best results out there

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Stuart

I don't know why you feel the need to address me individually as Im not the only one in this thread that has recommended Dr Konior..In my post, I NEVER said he has an artistic edge over Dr Panine..YOU simply think thats what Im indicating...Im just saying IMO I like the fact that he has a plastic surgeon background...also, just like I told you through a PM, check my post and you will see I have never said ONE negative comment about Dr Panine...I have only said he does excellent work! I think Dr Panine does excellent work! I have no idea why you are so offended at my post in particular..In your PM you sent me, you made it a point to tell me how much more experience Dr Panine and Dr Konior have than the surgeon I chose to perform my surgery...I have NO IDEA where that came from!!

The bottom line is this....IMO, I like Dr Koniors work better....thats it....Im not alone in that thinking..just like there are several others who like Dr Panines work better( and I can I understand why, he does great work)

When you show before and after photos of Dr Panines work, the documentation is excellent!! Dr Panine and SMG IMO have the best documentation...and I have always made positive comment on the results...

However, if a poster from the Chicago area comes on here looking for a direction to go, I point them in the direction of Dr Konior first...and I am in titled to do so....

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

NEWHAIRPLEASE, Just saw your 4808 FUT graft procedure with Dr. Rahal (Impressive). I hope you, and Spanker (consultations) have GREAT Hair Transplant Procedures with Dr. Konior.

Edited by marcushair

Marcushair

Thanks for the kind words...yes I was very impressed with the 4800 grafts Dr Rahal was able to get...I am not having a procedure with Dr Konior...I only consulted with him..

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find avid Konior fans all over this site and he does produce excellent results. I have always said, and many agree with me, that Keller is equally skilled and one of the most underrated HT docs in the area - he simply does not get "buzz" the Konior does on this board. And Stuart, Dr. Panine's employee obviously is going to be pro-Panine, and we have all seen good results from him as well.

People say don't let distance be an issues, and of course that is true, but you have access to some of the best right close by. I say meet with the ones you are thinking about and see what you how you feel about each, their results, and then make a decision. If you for some reason don't like any of those options, then expand your area of willingness to travel.

But, that being said, i am quite confident you can be more than happy in Chicago.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Where are people getting that $5500 won't cover 1400 grafts? I had a planned 1600 grafts, which, even including travel expenses (Dr. Charles offers a travel allowance for out of state customers), I didn't hit $5k. If you are willing to do some leg work and research on the travel side (hit up ALL the travel sites for package deals and discounts), then I can see that being totally doable. Now I, of course, can't speak of results since I only had my surgery a few days ago, but I'm not worried as he has a great reputation.

There were even cheaper options out there, which I had decided against, but the norm seems to be $3-5/graft, I think that he should be able to be in good shape.

Gettinold,

where did you have you surgery done? Were you given a discount? Was it a FUT or FUE? I would think that 1600 grafts would cost atleast 8k for FUE and atleast 6k for FUT.

thanks for any info!

According to my calculations, the doctor I went with, recommended on this site, would be right under the 5500 amount, and as you said in the quote, there are ones that are a tiny bit cheaper, which i chose against.

There should be no problem getting an FUT with a good doctor, for under $5500. Without discounts, etc.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

According to my calculations, the doctor I went with, recommended on this site, would be right under the 5500 amount, and as you said in the quote, there are ones that are a tiny bit cheaper, which i chose against.

There should be no problem getting an FUT with a good doctor, for under $5500. Without discounts, etc.

I am somehow doing my math wrong then I guess. How much did you pay per graft?

I am somehow doing my math wrong then I guess. How much did you pay per graft?

$3.80 x 1400 = $5320

My Hair Loss Web Site

That is how much I paid however many months ago. And I got over 2000. I don't believe the price changes for less than 2000, but I may be wrong. And no, I was not given any discount.

My Hair Loss Web Site