Who is the Best Hair Transplant Surgeon?

Lexie

Hi, first time on - hope I have done everything correctly? I wondered if there might perhaps be a handfull of US surgeons that are pretty much accepted as the very best - does anyone know? Would hugely appreciate any advice, thanks again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you found the forum. Everyone has varied opinions on who their top few surgeons are. One thing you should keep in mind is there is no one "best" surgeon. Also, the vast majority of people, including me, on the forum have only had surgery with one of the recommended surgeons. So it is good to listen to other people,s opinions, you need to do your own research and choose a surgeon you are comfortable with. This is a good place to start. Take your time. Some of the ones that I think are tops based on my own experience and research are Shapiro Mediical Group, Hassan & Wong, Dr. Konior, Dr. Gabel, True & Dorin, Dr. Feller, Dr. Lindsey, Dr. Arocha and Dr. Rahal. That is not exhaustive, but should give you a great start. Have consults with several. You can do them online and by phone. Good luck with your search.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I also think you need to think about what exactly you are trying to achieve and who has a "look" you really like. Plus where are you willing to travel too. For example I had mine done with Dr. Paul Shapiro. I loved the work he was putting out and he has been very consistent. And I have heard that he isn't as conservative as his bother Ron.

But I will tell you that if I was say early to mid 30's and only had frontal loss I would take a serious look at Dr. Rahal, both the Shapiro Brothers, Dr. Feller, True and Dorin, and Dr. Arocha. But if I was a NW 5 or 6 I would look at Hasson and Wong, as well SMG.

Also some only due strip (H&W) and some are leaders in FUE (Feller).

Edited by lcsulla

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

I guess my issue is that I am extremely sceptical and if I am to end up going with HT I am going to have to be positive about the calibre of the individual doing the process. As you will all know, this sector is full of charletans and although I certainly did a huge amount of research back in the late 80's and 90's (I started seriously losing my hair at 19 & fast), I just could not believe any of the surgeons etc that I spoke to at the time in the UK etc (numerous), I had even tracked down the supposed best at the time in France (I believe he did celebrities such as David Frost) but again was not convinced at all at the time, that I would not end up with an unrealistic disaster making things even worse - I think it was the right call in those days and really thankful that I listened to my better judgement and instead settled for the very early days of Finasteride and Minoxidil that whilst slows the process does not stop it where over the course of 20 years I (personally) am probably only slighter better than I would have been - however would have got to stage 6 probably doubly as quick. Are modern day HT's really success stories now with trustworthy and "decent" surgeons? Thanks again.

It's all about managing your own expectations & you have to be realistic in what can be achieved. I too live in the UK, a Norwood 5A, had surgery at H&W quite recently and would like to have another pass later. You'll see many success stories on here if done by experienced ethical doctors. That's why it is paramount you do your research & go for it if you feel good about the whole thing.

Thanks Dutch, excuse me but not sure who the abbreviation "H&W" stand for? I have come accross (guess because he did - I believe - ???? Nesbitt Murphy's Law) Maurice Green I think his name was at Blackrock in Ireland - any thoughts? I did actually consider trying to find the best in the US as plan to spend some time over there anyway. Thanks again.

Do not go with Blackrock Lexie.

They charge extortionate prices for mediocre results.

The best person you could contact in the Uk is Spex by country mile.

Here is a link.

(Link removed by moderator)

Edited by TakingThePlunge

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

There are many people who come from all over the world to have a HT by the surgeons I mentioned in my prior post. You can achieve a really nice result with a HT. just make sure you are clear with what your expectations and goals are when you talk to the clinics. If your expectations are unrealistic then you will likely be disappointed. Otherwise you will likely be really happy you had surgery.

Do not go with Blackrock Lexie.

They charge extortionate prices for mediocre results.

The best person you could contact in the Uk is Spex by country mile.

Here is a link.

(Link removed by moderator)

Listen to this guy and speak to spex. He is a uk consultant for Dr. Feller but will give you completely trustworthy impartial advice. He is also a long time ht veteran and more knowledgable than any actual doctor I have met in the uk.

Personally my top list would be Dr. Feller, Dr. Rahal, Shapiro Medical Group or Hasson & Wong. I wouldn't venture out of these Dr's personally. That's not to say there are not other good docs but I have seen consistant great results from all of these.

Finally. Do not get a HT in the Uk or Ireland. Seriously. Go to the US, Canada or at least Belgium.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

If I was you I'd contact Matt from Rahal.

He's been a great point of contact for me throughout my research, top guy.

I would back up the lists from everyone else, H&W, Shapiro Medical Group & Rahal are probably my 3 favourites in the states.

Hi, first time on - hope I have done everything correctly? I wondered if there might perhaps be a handfull of US surgeons that are pretty much accepted as the very best - does anyone know? Would hugely appreciate any advice, thanks again.

Dr. Umar - Redondo Beach, CA

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

It's hard to say who the best is as you get good, average and poor come out of most clinics, the key i've noticed over many years of following peoples growth and results is to look for the doctors that consistantly do great work and also produce a few mind blowing results every so on. For me the only surgeons that do that are Dr Hasson, Dr Rahal, Dr Wong and Dr Feller in that order!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

To me I would always say :-

STRIP : Dr. Rahal

FUE: Dr. Feller

Good luck...

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

This question comes up all the time and unfortunately being the "best" is such a subjective criteria that there is no correct answer. It's kind of like asking who is the best composer?

I really think that once certain doctors have reached the cutting edge of the profession that differentiating among them is very difficult to do. I would chose from a pool of top surgeons and then narrow your choices down by speaking with and evaluating the clinics and doctors. Some are known for more aggressive hairlines while others are known for mega sessions etc...

Do your reasearch and good luck!!

This question comes up all the time and unfortunately being the "best" is such a subjective criteria that there is no correct answer. It's kind of like asking who is the best composer?

I really think that once certain doctors have reached the cutting edge of the profession that differentiating among them is very difficult to do. I would chose from a pool of top surgeons and then narrow your choices down by speaking with and evaluating the clinics and doctors. Some are known for more aggressive hairlines while others are known for mega sessions etc...

Do your reasearch and good luck!!

This is definitely the best way to approach your decision.

Dr.Rahal (Canada)

Hasson & Wong (Canada)

Dr.Bijan Feriduni (Belgium)

Shapiro Medical Group (USA)

these are my "best" list,but there are more..

All of the doctors mentioned thus far are excellent. Saying "who's best" is like the question, who is better looking, blondes, redheads or brunettes?

The question you have to ask is: Who is the best doctor for me? And in order to get the correct answer, you have to know what type of surgery you want done (FUE/FUT), and then decide which of these doctors will give you the best chance to achieve the result you are after. It's a crowded field of excellent doctors for strip surgery, my own opinion would place Dr. Konior, Dr. Wong, Dr. Shapiro (to name three) at the top of any list, but for FUE, the field thins considerably.

In this context, the answer is Dr. Umar. He does with FUE what no one else on this list has done (if they have, I've not seen the results anywhere) You certainly were wise up to this point, I commend you for your restraint. I wish I had of taken a similar route and I'm certain you have made the right choices thus far, because no surgery is a far better choice than a bad outcome, I can attest to that personally. I think you need to continue with your research, good luck and happy hunting.

All of the doctors mentioned thus far are excellent. Saying "who's best" is like the question, who is better looking, blondes, redheads or brunettes?

The question you have to ask is: Who is the best doctor for me? And in order to get the correct answer, you have to know what type of surgery you want done (FUE/FUT), and then decide which of these doctors will give you the best chance to achieve the result you are after. It's a crowded field of excellent doctors for strip surgery, my own opinion would place Dr. Konior, Dr. Wong, Dr. Shapiro (to name three) at the top of any list, but for FUE, the field thins considerably.

In this context, the answer is Dr. Umar. He does with FUE what no one else on this list has done (if they have, I've not seen the results anywhere) You certainly were wise up to this point, I commend you for your restraint. I wish I had of taken a similar route and I'm certain you have made the right choices thus far, because no surgery is a far better choice than a bad outcome, I can attest to that personally. I think you need to continue with your research, good luck and happy hunting.

Interesting that Dr.Umar offers bodyhair/beard transfer for HT where other Dr's do not due to believing it is not of same texture as normal hair

Bht results always leave people looking like pube heads imo, I'd only contemplate it for the last desperate attempt to gain extra ground cover on thin parts of the scalp.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Interesting that Dr.Umar offers bodyhair/beard transfer for HT where other Dr's do not due to believing it is not of same texture as normal hair

And you think Dr. Umar doesn't know this? It isn't the same texture as scalp hair. It's all in the blending process to achieve a soft, feathery, natural looking result. I cannot tell I have beard hair scattered throughout native scalp hair, but I can certainly tell my hair is over 100% denser since it was put there. My hairline was created using a combination of nape and scalp hair.

Other doctors likely don't offer it due the difficulty in actually achieving results in its successful extraction and transplantation. It doesn't have to be reserved for grossly disfigured people with no scalp hair if it is blended well with native hair, and in that context, the various types of non scalp hair is utilized correctly for a natural looking appearance.

For some people with no scalp to harvest and a head full of plugs, a wiry head of hair is far better than an moonscape scalp of scattered hair plugs and scars.

Edited by wylie

Wylie what you say highlights my point that bht is last resort and just for ground cover but I still think the results look weird and pube like but if the patients happy than that's all what matters.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Wylie what you say highlights my point that bht is last resort and just for ground cover but I still think the results look weird and pube like but if the patients happy than that's all what matters.

I see where you are coming from, although a last resort i am not sure it is one i would go to just to have pube like coverage