FUE for my second op

Hi guys!!! I am back!!! :)

Been trying to stave off hair problems for some time but i realized nothing has changed... mentally.. still not able to go out without using concealers and concerned with excessive wind... u guys know the stuff...

Anyway i have given it a long thought and thought i could further improve my hair by under going another session

However, i have changed to a spiky hair style so having a traditional FUT is defn out of the question. I have been a huge supporter of FUT and i know the pros and cons v v well but after having tried it the first time round, the inconvenience is the main reason thats been keeping me at bay for the second op...Thats the reason why i have decided to just concentrate on FUE for my second op

Thing is i have been doing too much research on FUT for my 1st op that i did not really read up on FUE. Can anyone tell me which drs ( recommended ) do FUE ( sessions of 3k grafts there about ) who does not need to shave both the recipient and donor regions?

thanks!!!!!!!!!1

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

You have to shave your donor area to do FUE, and if you are doing a large case such as 3000 grafts you will need to shave the entire back from ear to ear to harvest that many. Not all doctors require shaving the recipient area though.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

hey bad beat, no the end result was not satisfactory. I had a couple of discussions with the good doc and even he realized the outcome was not satisfactory. Many reasons were being discussed but thats over the bridge and under the water and i really do not want to look back and find out what went wrong. I just want to look fwd and see how to improve my hair

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hi THUT! Yup i understand but thing is i already got a scar from my previous session and though it has faded, its still visible if i were to shave it off.

Is there any other way to do it? If i opt for a smaller case?

If you opted for a smaller session than there are ways around shaving the entire back. You can shave long strips while the hair above that area can be easily combed over to hide it. We suggest keeping your hair longer so you can do that. The most you can probably get this way is around 1400 grafts at a time maybe lower depending on your density.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

just shave the donor area,in 4 weeks your hair will grow half an inch,4 weeks of hiding is worth a result that lasts a life time,even the receiptient area shave it you will get the best result possible this way.

.. which drs ( recommended ) .. does not need to shave both the recipient and donor regions?

Some docs do row harvesting in FUE. I think Dr. Harris might?? Anyway, with row harvesting, they basically shave narrow horizontal, parallel strips of hair across the DHT-safe donor zone, which allows you to cover up with the hair immediately above the strips. There is a noticeable difference in depth for us hair nerds, but after a few weeks, it should be OK. It means you have to go back, IMO, to get the unharvested areas to match the harvested ones. I've seen at least one poster concerned enough to post pics of his 'stripes' . It's probably OK, but I'd go with a full shave and let them get at it all. Problem is, I guess, U gotta a smiley scar and you don't want to advertise your strip just yet, so I guess the row harvesting is your best bet unless you can paint the strip with eyeliner or some kinda chicks makeup for a few weeks. Personally, I'd do the latter in your position

WB, I'm curious, if you already underwent a strip, why stop now?

Also, given that there seems to be generally less yield for FUE versus Strip and the higher price of FUE versus Strip, what inconvenience do you see with an additional strip that won't be present with FUE?

scar5, long time no see. how u mate? Remember we had the argument on FUE vs FUT. Till now, i am still standing firm on my belief that FUT gives better yield among others but i agree with your stand in promoting FUE. Right now, FUE suits me more as i had to go thru loads of inconvenience on my first op. I hate to go into details but i am sticking with FUE this time round

N6, look, i am a huge fan of FUT, u can see all my previous posts i m not a newbie but seriously if u are asking me to go thru another round of FUT, i will probably do nothing and continue to mellow in my sorrow. I might not get as much from FUE but at least i get to improve my condition.

Guys, if costs is of absolutely no concern, meaning i am willing even to pay double for a standard FUE op, do u think i will be able to convince any good doc to do for me without shaving both donor and recipient?

thanks for the input!

Hey wb, welcome back. I understand the desire to hide the work you've had done, and to expedite the recovery time, but you are doing so at the risk of severely lowering your yield. FUE is an extremely delicate procedure (way more so than strip) where the grafts need extra care, and I think there is a definite balance between removing grafts with extra care and planting them quickly enough. There is a reason FUE costs so much and very few docs perform it, let alone do megasessions. It never hurts to ask, of course, but I don't really see the wisdom in increasing risk in an already risky procedure.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hey wb

im sure most of doctors have informed you that by doing fue and trying to shave just strips to hide the evidnce wont give you as many grafts as you desire.

Youve got a scar for life now

and if you desire say another 3000 grafts then by doing another strip with same scar you will immediately be able to hide the scar at donor with longer hair and youll have 300 new fresh fut grafts with your existing hair covering it nicely for no evidence.

if you decide on fue then yes less pain less fuss but not enough grafts and you will not be able to hide the donor shaven with such a large area.

most docs will say,

strip yourself all out first then do fue for touch ups.

my 2nd strip really helped and was not noticable at recipent just some donor shockloss.

i recently had my 4th strip to repair old scar from a botch strip

and also combined it with some fue just above it.

even for say 100 fue you have to shave a fair bit.

bst of luck

Thanks for the opinions guys... so whats my best bet now? If i insist on FUE, whats the best graft count that will suffice for a non shaving procedure? As in donor area... I cant possibly shave as the scar will show...

As Dr Dorin said to you he could shave small strips but youd probably only get 1400 fue

which is a long 1 day procedure.

for me id say now that u have a scar just reuse it open it up and get another good 3000 fut and have great coverage and no need to haave time off work.

in the time they do 300 fut it will be same to get 1400 fue

I'm heavily in favor of FUT and I don't understand doing FUE before being stripped out. FUE is more expensive, has lower yield and there's a possibility that FUE hairs may not be permanent. That said, I do wish you the best of luck WB and hope you get the results you want.

Wb,

Welcome back! Did you have any specific surgeons in mind? As you know, many of our recommended hair transplant surgeons are excellent FUE practitioners, and reviewing the list and researching further may be helpful.

Additionally, Dr. Umar recently became the first recommended hair transplant surgeon who practices follicular unit extraction exclusively; he may be a great reference/option as well.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

FUE after already doing a strip surgery might make the scar even more obvious if you are not careful. I also would personally get everything I can via strip before doing the FUE route. But of course, it's your call.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

hey Blake, i am getting very diverse opinions which has set me thinking... I think u remembered my story... i really hate going thru the inconvenience... its a killer...

Anyway under a v v good surgeon's hands.. can i assume the yield of FUE is comparable to FUT?

Hey wb280, I understand where you're coming from. I don't think I would ever want to undergo a FUT again either! 14 days with staples/sutures in the back of my head and months of a numb feeling, gosh, goosebumps from the memory. ;)

But if you need that many grafts and you can't shave your entire head because of the previous scar, then I think you have to go for a second FUT anyway. Maybe the second time won't be so bad, because you know what to expect... and the result afterwards will be worth it.

wb, I think fue yields are fine with the right doc. As you know, there are only a few good fue docs in the world. On the positive side that fact allows you to narrow your search quickly. The donor area grows back amazingly fast when the whole safe zone is shaved. I would say within 2-3 weeks its like having a 1.5 to a 2 clipper cut and progresses quickly from there. Good luck and welcome back. I hope you will post some updated pics so we can offer better opinions.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Hi guys, the main reason why i refuse to shave is that the scar from my 1st strip procedure will prob expose itself. I did not do much research on FUE previously so pardon if i sound like a green horn. When u mean shave, it means like shaving a certain square shape at the donor area? Will hair be long enough to cover? Assuming i hope to go for a big mega session

thanks!

No it will not be long enough if you do a mega session. For a mega session you will need to shave the entire back area, exposing the previous scar. If you decide to go with a smaller FUE procedure which only shaves small strips it will allow you to keep longer hair which can be combed over that area and hiding it well. Without over harvesting these areas you will most likely be able to get 1000-1400 grafts maximum with the shaved strips. If you were to shave the entire donor area you would be able to get more depending on your donor supply.

Hi THUP, i just watched the video posted on the 1000ish FUE on the crown. Its impressive! My hair grows out pretty fast, so prob 2 weeks is prob all i need ( or so i hope! ) With your extensive experience, does shock loss happens for most of the patients? As in the recipient area. The good docs do not need to shave that recipient right? Does the doc perform the entire FUE himself or with helpers? Just wanted to get the whole picture right!

thanks!