Dr.Mwamba 4,265g - Plug redistribution, scar repair, FUE

This 40 year old patient had 3 previous STRIP surgeries at another clinic over a 15 year period. He has 3 large Strip scars from those surgeries in the donor area. He was very unhappy with the resulting scars, very unnatural pluggy look and bad angulation of the hairs. His goal was to create a more natural look - get rid of pitting and bumpy skin, pluggy look and wrong graft angulation. He also wanted to fill in his 3 previous STRIP donor scars.

Total grafts 4,265.

Dr. Mwamba’s strategy:

Perform FIT (Follicular Isolation Technique) shaven method.

Day 1: Plug removal and redistribution – remove and relocate grafts in appropriate direction.

Day 2: Fill in temples – Total surface covered was 52cm2.

Day 3: Build temple pointes –with soft hairs above the nape hairs.

Day 4: Fill in scars in donor – total surface to graft = 24cm2. We grafted at 20fu/cm2 to assure maximum yield

This patient is extremely happy to get his life back again. He had been wearing a hat for over 10 years to cover the bad job.

5b32ce5be5dbe_PreopFhlright.jpg.8679f1b31853659c6916e39403076a11.jpg

5b32ce5d1fe28_Preopwetpic.jpg.0cc2a69ece80195abf8981720b2f8b72.jpg

5b32ce5d32b2c_PreopFhlrightclose.jpg.4836c9ef13b477e9b89eb33d19e40125.jpg

5b32ce5d58c2e_PreopFhlleftclose.jpg.20c3bc7aa78b0e7f4a8cd044e112b2f1.jpg

5b32ce5d70568_PreopFhlleft.jpg.2b6ebcc92dea0ae1f5196495fd3394dc.jpg

5b32ce5d8b80b_PreopdrypicFHL.jpg.184438d6e00ef7c20042564bcec8753c.jpg

5b32ce5da039a_Day1plugredistribution.jpg.2d72a8d9d4cc61e55e78175d240012c7.jpg

5b32ce5db4e94_Day2Righttemple.jpg.866806802be79364b7bea1d6748f361d.jpg

5b32ce5dcc00f_Day3FHL.jpg.c92639da5fe6133f685be41c4ec587c4.jpg

5b32ce5ddb9ec_Day3leftside.jpg.14c66555aad283718a485e9e122761be.jpg

5b32ce5dea503_Day3rightside.jpg.5f2f13f9de9a5ac12e1978f21c3bcd1b.jpg

5b32ce5e6b0e6_Day4closeleft2.jpg.450a8d16d0e576e2d60aa510cc140cd9.jpg

5b32ce5e8a579_Day4closeleft.jpg.409eae255ed96d5291a34a36be3bfcef.jpg

5b32ce5e993b0_Day4front.jpg.7d7771826a9ce967a4b5d2e0abba6ed8.jpg

5b32ce5eaeadf_Day4frontleftside.jpg.b544ac08b0c2b89650ddb92e22c18fb7.jpg

5b32ce5ebefa4_Day4frontrightside.jpg.77087d8f710b8a24b9f999315bc0c764.jpg

5b32ce5ee56aa_Day4rightclose.jpg.b24a9d85640e6008948bbf6ddfec97c5.jpg

5b32ce5f0706f_Day4right.jpg.9b56507cac45264590a3fc22a7c702d5.jpg

HairFairy,

Thank you for sharing this repair case! This poor guy has been though a lot and it appears that he is now on his way to looking "normal" again.

I certainly hope that he will return for follow-up photos. I'm very interested to see how he progresses.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

i really like his new hairline design. this is exactly what i'm dreaming about having my own hairline done in the future but i'm not sure do i have enough donor material to reach this. i hope you can give us regular updates about this case and i'm very interested to see how his final result turns out when all grafts are grown in. so, don't please forget to give us updates :)

btw. what was his donor density? and what is his new hairline and temple points density? You mentioned that you filled in scars on his back of the head from his previous surgeries 20 fu/cm2. Is it possible to see his donor area pictures too and the area where you fixed his scars?

all the best and give us updates :)

'Takingtheplunge' - Thank you for your comments. I believe we are scheduled to have a followup with him in July and will get more photos then :) He reports that everything is looking great and he is very happy!

'krapok' - Dr. Mwamba is well known for his hairlines and does a great job :) If your scalp donor supply is limited there is the option of body hair transplant (BHT) also. Dr. Mwamba is very skilled at BHT and has been doing it for many years. Let me know if you'd like more info on that. I will be posting some examples on this forum soon.

This patient's donor density was MO 83 fu/cm2 ;LA 73 fu/cm2. I will check on the new hairline and temple points density and get back to you :)

Regarding the scar repair and grafting in the donor area....this patient will not allow us to show his donor area in the back of his head and his scars. He has identifying characteristics in that area and wishes to remain anonymous.

I will post some photos of other patients that I can show scar repair on soon. Thank you for your questions and comments! Best to you in your journey.

• 4 months later...

I would like to see some updates also , seen a few of Dr Mwambas repair cases and they were all superb .. i would expect this to be similar , look forward to updated pics

thanks

ej

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this case the first time around, but boy, it's as fascinating as any I've seen here.

This guy's weird and rather unfortunate history with hair transplants has oddly set him up to have the kind of 4,000+ megasession that most NW4 guys actually need to look good.

In a strange way, I think this result might provide some insight into the future of hair transplantation insofar as it gives us an idea of the kind of transformation that NW3-4 guys will be able to make once we increase the donor supply.

Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

4000+ grafts in that size area should make for a very dense result. Great job!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 7 months later...

More than year has gone. Can you please update this case? I'm very interested to see how his hair look now. I hope he is very happy and results turned out like was planned.

More than year has gone. Can you please update this case? I'm very interested to see how his hair look now. I hope he is very happy and results turned out like was planned.

It didn't. The guy posted on another forum and the growth was poor. The doctor was involved in the discussion and felt that the scar tissue was a big factor. You should be able to find it if you google, I think it's the same subject as on here.

can you post the link please? i tried to find but no luck.

edit... ahh, i think i found this but i don't understand about the photos what was posted there. Was the photos 10 months before repair or those were after photos? To me seems that those were before photos and there isn't any photos after his repair procedure over 4000 grafts. Or...?

I've looked for it and its gone. It must have been deleted. It was under a subject something like 'repaired and improved by Dr Mwamba.'

It's not my place to speculate. I'm saying that I saw the update and it was as I described above. Over to the poster or Doc to update you if they wish.

• 2 months later...

Not a great example to recommend the Dr. Obviously a tough case, and the pre-op plan and photos look promising, but without seeing the results, there is no way that one can realistically comment!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

was there any improvement at all ? i feel bad 4 him, to endure all those years with bad surgies and then have his repair fail, is just awful to hear. was all 4000 grafts scalp hair or a combo of scalp and body hair? if you read this , hang in there and dont lose hope, there is always a way to improve things,

I'm a little bewildered regarding this case. It has been used as an example for the recommendation of Dr. Mwamba. However with no result photographs, we are not sure how things developed. A few members have posted that they saw the same case on another website, showing poor growth. Without ever seeing those photographs or that thread, I think it would be unfair to personally comment, but as this example has been used to showcase the Dr.s work, and asking for members feedback, I for one really feel that some kind of explanation/feedback is necessary. As how could one possibly recommend the Dr. with such a thread as this, with many unanswered questions.

Really hope for the patient that things worked out, because when considering the photos posted here, and his obvious poor HT results in the past, he really has had a tough time of it.

Does anybody know anything else?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Guys,

I have not seen this example/result on another forum so I too can't comment. However, this was only one of several examples that Dr. Mwamba presented to demonstrate his surgical procedure. He has also presented several examples of his results.

I will follow up with him for more information on this case.

Thanks,

Bill

Guys,

I received the below from Dr. Mwamba, who also intends on updating this topic.

"The patient had good growth on temples points and in the front hairline, which were virgin areas.

But in the area behind the hai line ie, the area where we removed plugs and grafted new hairs, the growth was poor. This is surely due to microscarring from his previous hair transplant procedures which led to poor circulation.

He came back for a touch up (we removed some grafts in the temples points and relocated them in the area behind the hairline, and of course some grafts came from his regular donor).

The patient did send us some pictures 5 months post op 2nd surgery. Those pictures were captures by the patient himself and are not of great quality. I was waiting for him to come in for a follow-up to get better pictures before presenting them. What I will do however, is gather those pictures and post them anyway so the community can be aware of his evolution and the steps we are taking in getting him his life back."

Unfortunately, it's very typical in repair cases for less than optimal growth, especially in areas of scarring. But it sounds like Dr. Mwamba is standing behind his patient and doing what he can to get him the best possible result. I look forward to more updates on this topic.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Shame that there were complications beyond Mwamba's control. To be fair, it was a very complicated case as the patient had bad surgeries prior. Mwamba's hairline design looked amazing however.

• 4 weeks later...

repair case 4994 grafts ( FIT shaven + plug removal ) :myWHTC -Dr Patrick Mwamba - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

I opened a new thread to show the present status of this patient .Please visit the link above .Thanks .

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians