Did anyone find surgery painful?

I was wondering if anyone who's had a decent size ht found it painful at all on the surgery day? Obvioulsy i know you're not feeling your best after and get a bit of a headache for a few days but i mean the actual surgery?

Pain is something i've never took into accout when getting tattoos or any type of surgery i've always looked past the event towards my goal and the delight of the result ahead but everyone i've shown my head and scar to has nearly been sick and says it must of hurt like hell but the truth of the matter is i really enjoyed the whole day and thought it was a walk in the park completely pain free, i think probably the worst part is laying flat for 16 hours because it gives you a stiff back but i get that laying in bed on a sunday lol, even the anesthetic needle was pain free i'd say biting your tongue is worse lol.

Also i was wondering if my pleasent encounter was down to the skill of my surgeon so was wondering if anyone had a nightmare with any surgeons? Anyway i decided to make this thread because i've never seen any thread about this aspect of hair transplants.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I had a 5300 graft procedure with Dr. Rahal and the surgery itself was a breeze with no real pain. The shots were a bit uncomfortable but if you have been to the dentist, these shots are no worse.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I was sceptical at first as i had a friend who had gone for a HT before me and he was complaining how painful it was ( albeit a different doc). I was so so wrong. The shots were the worst it can get, and the surgery was just nearly painless. The pain started to creep in on the first night but nothing that unbearable. After that, everything was smooth sailing

hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• Moderators

I would imagine todays HT's hurt much less than they did in the old days when they had to dig into your head and pull out a bunch of 3mm to 4mm chunks of flesh from the recipient area. That hurt! and you could hear the twisting of the punch tool as he tried to dig it in deep enough. Felt like they were drilling into my skull. I still have bad dreams about that once in a while.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The pain comes the night after surgery. It is very uncomfortable to sleep at night. I had nausea the first night almost threw up. Every few hours I would wake up because of the discomfort

I'm on day 9 now and feel fine it's a bit uncomfortable with staples in my head but i'm gonna leave them in for a extra week than i was told to just to make sure of thin scar.

I didn't take any sleeping pills because i knew if i took them i'd be rubbing my head in the pillows for sure. I came out of surgery at 12 midnight went home and was on here from 1 am to 8 am in the morning the weird thing was i didn't sleep for 3 days and 3 nights straight after surgery but i felt strong, awake and happy it's almost as if my body was in protect mode i didn't want to lose any grafts sleeping lol or it could of just been because i was buzzing from actually knowing that i'd finally got the ht i've always wanted.

Behappy that's a good point i bet the old doll plugs were really bad for days after.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

ihad two pocedures each 1650,had zero pain.after first i went to hockey game .had procedure on sat in feb at madison square garden on sun nite.second time no pain either .it was abreeze . its the waiting and stressin over what the result will be

I had 4000 graphs and absolutely no pain during the surgery. The shots weren't even painful either, there was a little burning sensation during the first round of shots to the front area of my head but that was the only time I felt that. I was actually very comfortable during my whole procedure and could have slept through most of it but decided to stay awake and chat with the team.

About 2 hours after I left surgery, there was some pain but very minor. The numbness had worn off and the top of my head burned a little. The donor site was painless until I tried to sleep and then it was tender. I had a hard time sleeping the first night, waking up every 3 hours or so but I would fall back asleep. The second day on, no pain whatsoever though, I keep saying how amazing it is that I just had surgery done 4 days ago and feel this way.

The only pain I experienced was during the injection pricks. During the procedure, there were a few times when I felt some pain when the grafts were being placed. I quickly pointed out to the doctor and his team and I was immediately given a shot of anesthetic and that did the trick. No more pain thereafter

Post the HT, its the discomfort that causes real trouble. The donor stitches really bother you when you attempt sleeping on your back. Even after they are removed, you subconsciously avoid sleeping on your back due to the discomfort at the donor area. And, then there is the numbness with both the donor and the recipient areas. Though this isn't much of a discomfort, you still feel strange...

Some people on here who say that this procedure is "painfree" or a "breeze" are not giving people the proper advice.

This procedure is very painful, uncomfortable, suspenseful, staple removal hurts BIG TIME, not to mention the donor area healing over the course of the months, hurts and stings real bad.

Yeah maybe perhaps,,going through all this stuff is worth it in the end, but saying this procedure is a "breeze' or "painfree" is very comical to me!!

Some people on here who say that this procedure is "painfree" or a "breeze" are not giving people the proper advice.

This procedure is very painful, uncomfortable, suspenseful, staple removal hurts BIG TIME, not to mention the donor area healing over the course of the months, hurts and stings real bad.

Yeah maybe perhaps,,going through all this stuff is worth it in the end, but saying this procedure is a "breeze' or "painfree" is very comical to me!!

If you read the thread properly you will see we're talking about the actual operation not the aftermath just the surgery it self. :D

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

If you include the aftermath, I guess HT is one of the most suspenseful and painful (not entirely physical) procedures. I have seen patients who have had heart or brain surgeries less stressful and less worried when compared to a poor HT patient :( The actual procedure itself is relatively pain free though...

Yes aftermath mentally is super annoying.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

i had my ht 8 weeks ago, the procedure for me was pain free except for some minor pin prickes from the meds, but you could have hit my head with a hammer and i would not have felt it. i didn't have a mega session only 2000 fut, it was on the second day minor pain in the donor area it hurt but took med and was ok, i didn't have staples i had the tri closure, i couldn't sleep good for about 5 days not from pain but scared to death i would do something stupid like scratch my head. let me add to me the ht was a day at the beach compared to the w a i t i n g for the results, the shock loss the ht hair falling out you could actually look worst than before the ht the pimples thank god for this site because what people said would happen did happen so i was prepared can't imagine what people went thru with old procedures and no one to share the experience

I had fue. The only pain was from the injections prior to the procedure. It only last a few seconds at a time but in my case they had to do a few additional injections during the procedure. It's not terrible, just unpleasant. As for the days following procedure, there wasn't really pain just some minor discomfort that went away by the first 5 days to a week if I recall correctly.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

After reading many of the responses, one thing we can conclude for sure; everyone responds diffrently to pain and anaesthesia. Even the discomfort post-op can vary between patients.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I just had transplant on Mon 4/11, no pain at all just anxiety. Watched two movies during transplant (Meet The Fockers and Trains,Plains,and Automobiles) Dr. Pistone and his team was great, I am 45 mins away from removing my cap and bandage and washing my head, then the waiting game begins. I was a little uncomfortable the night of the transplant but slept ok. The next day was bad watching my children who are 2 and 5, should have had some help. Overall very positive experience, hope results are great!

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone,

I know this thread is almost 2 years old but is something I know everyone thinks about before getting a HT done. For those of you who have had a FUT or FUE procedure done recently can you please share the pain level at time of the operation. How bad is it really?????

:eek::eek::eek:

:confused::confused::confused:

;);)

Thanks

Hey Anon345, to be honest the pain is minimal to non existent but the anxiety is real. I really wouldn't worry about the pain aspect as your head feels like a numb knob -a strange feeling and the more you think about whats actually happening and the fact that I wasn't able to move (have stationary anxiety) -the anxiety built, but the pain was never really an issue.

For those of you who have had a FUT or FUE procedure done recently can you please share the pain level at time of the operation. How bad is it really?????

Anon345....during the surgery it was basically no pain for me.

On the morning of my surgery I took a Xanax before I left the hotel and

then another half of Xanax once I arrived at Hasson/Wong. (1.5 mg total)

Out of the almost 11-12 hours in the chair that day 95% is just a blur

of sleep and super drowsy....and that's the way I wanted it.

I had a bit of pain/headache/nausea the following evening. I remember Joe taking me out for a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant and about half way thru I was not feeling well....but the next morning (2 day post op) when I flew home to Texas I felt fine.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.