what are the little bumps called?

what are the little bumps called that are left behind after each folicile has been put in? is it pitting? wouldnt that be shallow then? each area where my hair was put in has a little bump, is there a specific name for these bumps?

thanks

hi mr_powers.....yes its cobblestoning......beyond laser you might want to consider cortisone shots......when did you have your procedure done? if it was very recent, it's possible the skin may remold itself over the coming months. be well

VP Patient & Media Relations for The Hair Loss Doctors by Robert J. Dorin 

Guys,

It may not be cobblestoning. Cobblestoning is a direct result of "popping" when grafts are placed into an incision that is too small. But immediately after the procedure, it is normal to see white bumps, which typically does not result in this phenomenon.

Mr_Powers,

Is this a general question or something you are experiencing? If it's the latter, how long ago was your hair transplant and do you have photos you can show us?

Best wishes,

Bill

Mr_Powers,

At three years after the procedure, it definitely isn't normal to see any sort of 'cobblestoning.' Like Bill said, these 'bumps' are normal right after the procedure, but you shouldn't see any sort of raised area this long after transplantation.

If you're interested in any sort of repair procedure, I suggest reviewing our list of recommended hair restoration surgeons. Additionally, if you are seeing a dermatologist for a laser treatment, I would discuss any sort of cortisone treatment with him/her during this same consultation. Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

firstly there aint no chance im going for a repair, no more cutting and placing. the only repair i want is lazer and reversal, yes i know you cant reverse, scar etc will always be there, just want the skin smooth again. ill post some pics today and show you what the butchers done, secondly do you think i can sue? the guys were in such a rush to make money they didnt give me papers to sign when they did the work... stupid MHR.

5b32cbd23eee1_fromadistance.jpg.a22ca284968d7926ce72536c26678a05.jpg

close.jpg.6e5994f7ac6268fc28a681306db40e53.jpg

closer.jpg.0be511f7505b064657c1269c01a7e836.jpg

5b32cbd283ed2_closer2.jpg.42450a3ae28dc3b7b8481c143b8ccc32.jpg

5b32cbd2a4655_closestucanget.jpg.8b9410d09c12be897027e677bf5bb83e.jpg

5b32cbd2b9db4_donorscar.jpg.88c5674388d3a0a06cd88aae147da736.jpg

The work that was done , although certainly not stellar, would appear to fall within the category of "standard of care", so the "suing" issue I believe may be a waste of time. The overall result wherein the grafts are placed sparsely more than likely would be the result of "filling in" as many patients request, without attention to the fact that this will be the result not if, but when further hair loss occurs. Following the previous "immature" hairline results in a mismatch between the contour design of the hairline and the density.

As for the raised nature of the grafts as they sit on the scalp, while this is certainly less than ideal, hair that is worn at a "normal' (ie not "buzzed") length should hide this poorer result, though i can understand that as this has evolved the low density you have as a result after these years probably doesn't look too good in the "normal" longer style.

The scar, as well, is less than ideal.

However, it does not appear, at least to my eye, that this is not a scenario worth "giving up", although I understand your frustration. With the exception of grafts that are placed outside the curve of a mature hairline, you should, in the proper hands, be able to:

1. Reduce the scar from the first procedure.

2. Increase the density in the hairline and frontal forelock, and;

3. Have the grafts outside the"mature" hairline removed, either by FUE or laser.

I hope this is helpful for you, and I am sorry you ended up with the result you did.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

the hairline i had when i went for the HT hasnt changed, there was no filling, i had already lost all the hair in the receding hairline area, the circular hair line was created by the doc, everywhere you see grafts is where there was no hair, the left over grafts they put a few in the middle of my head where i had hair so that yes was filling, not by request, they just didnt want to throw the 'extras' away.

doc when u speak of lazer removal, would that remove the hair only or entire follicle? I would love nothing more than to just have a smooth scalp again, would fraxel lazer or dermabrasion work? I dnt want fue scars all over my head, is there a good way to remove the bumps or even take all the grafts out without scarring? Can i have them cut out the same way the slits were cut to put them in?

The laser would slowly shrink the follicle, over several treatments, to the point where it would no longer grow hair. FUE is a method wherein the hair follicle(s) is(are) extracted as a single unit- whether that be a group of one, two, or three follicles (which grow as a unit- see follicular unit definition in other posts). This results in a small defect which usually heals without much scarring.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

The work that was done , although certainly not stellar, would appear to fall within the category of "standard of care", so the "suing" issue I believe may be a waste of time. The overall result wherein the grafts are placed sparsely more than likely would be the result of "filling in" as many patients request, without attention to the fact that this will be the result not if, but when further hair loss occurs. Following the previous "immature" hairline results in a mismatch between the contour design of the hairline and the density.

As for the raised nature of the grafts as they sit on the scalp, while this is certainly less than ideal, hair that is worn at a "normal' (ie not "buzzed") length should hide this poorer result, though i can understand that as this has evolved the low density you have as a result after these years probably doesn't look too good in the "normal" longer style.

The scar, as well, is less than ideal.

However, it does not appear, at least to my eye, that this is not a scenario worth "giving up", although I understand your frustration. With the exception of grafts that are placed outside the curve of a mature hairline, you should, in the proper hands, be able to:

1. Reduce the scar from the first procedure.

2. Increase the density in the hairline and frontal forelock, and;

3. Have the grafts outside the"mature" hairline removed, either by FUE or laser.

I hope this is helpful for you, and I am sorry you ended up with the result you did.

I don't know about sueing, cause any cosmetic surgery is kind of a gamble, that said, if this case is within the "Standard of Care" I feel that it doesn't say much about the hair restoration business. If this was "filling in" maybe, but you can tell, and as he stated, much of it was not filling in but was created.

The HT community should re-evaluate what the standard of care is and openly hold accountable the doctors that produce these results. I guess that is what this website is for.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm not so sure that removing the follicle would smooth out the skin. The bumps are not necessarily caused by the hair but rather by the skin surrounding the transplanted hair, that is the skin around the grafts from the donor site. I suppose one could remove the follicles via laser and then have some skin resurfacing done to smooth out the scalp.

mr_powers, I understand why you would be hesitant to undergo another procedure, but at the very least that wide scar could be easily reduced. I would seriously consider a scar revision. As for the bumps, I have quite a few from my poor first procedure. But thankfully, my second procedure as disguised them for the most part. I would consider all options at this point, including another procedure.... but this time with a quality surgeon.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 3 weeks later...

the road to repair begins tomorrow, first fraxel appointment, they may even use a combination of micro dermabrasion and fraxel, they the pro's, ill leave that up to them to decide, ive told them already that if there is any doubt then we dont do it, this is my only hope at living a normal life, bad ht means cant have hair bad lazer would mean cant have no hair, feeling nervous yet uplifted. please lord let this work. i shall post pic updates. let the journey begin!

Round 1 complete . done fraxel restore, not to painful feels like little pin pricks , burns afterwards for like 20mins, by night scalp was super red, today the red is virtually gone, although to soon to see results, i can already see a bit of a difference, perhaps its the slight swelling who knows lol feels good though, doctor is confident ill be smooth, in 3 weeks i go back for a micro dermabrasion, then 3 weeks after that another round of fraxel. doc recons she can make the scar blend and be virtually undetectable to, but will do the scar after i see the results on the top. will post pics over the weekend.

i shall no longer be using this forum or updating my progress using fraxel etc etc, i have just found that 'taking the plunge' has used my current pictures on other sites and blogs without even asking me, he has even rewritten a so called question put to dr timothy which i at no time asked, he is using my pics to mislead people and promote others. Shocking! a break of trust i had with this site and community. its all about personal gain here!

^^^i feel for you man. using another members pictures without there consent is wrong. i wish you would keep us updated. if not i truly hope things work out for the best. good luck with your journey. may you find happiness at the end!!!

mr.powers, I understand you being upset and frustrated, but I think you might be overreacting a bit to the situation. No public forum like this is going to be perfect, and I do not think the editors/publisher of this site had any intention of harming you. I also see they have done what was necessary to rectify the problem and remove your pictures.

I think your story is a valuable one and others can benefit by it, so please reconsider leaving. I know there is no way I'd be where I am now without this forum and its members. Now I'm just doing my best to pay that forward.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Mr_Powers,

So just how many topics are you going to post the same message? You couldn't take the necessary time to send me or another moderator a private message with your concerns? Instead you'd rather make a public spectacle and make it appear to the community as if we had some malicious intent to harm you?

I've already addressed this on the topic you created originally called "Taking the Plunge - You Suck" which I renamed since it was blatantly insulting and in violation of our terms of service.

Please see my resopnse to you on "To Taking the Plunge" which I've also copied/pasted below for your reference. After this, I expect that if you want to discuss this further that you'll contact me privately. Further spewing of insults on this forum will result in a loss of your posting privileges.

------------

Mr_Powers,

We provide our Hair Loss Q&A blog at www.regrowhair.com as a service to assist in the education of hair loss sufferers.

Our assistant publishers Dave and Blake regularly take questions posed on this forum and either answer them directly on the Q&A blog or garner professional input from our physicians and present their replies. I can assure you there is no harm or foul intended.

I admit that Dave probably should have asked to use your photos before presenting them on another website. However, our terms of service clearly state that any posts and photos uploaded to our community become our property. Please thoroughly read through our terms of service which you agreed to when you signed up.

As a courtesy however, I did remove your photos from the blog so there is no longer any link of your name or photos to this question/answer.

Frankly, you really should have contacted us privately instead of creating a topic about it. Since this topic serves no real purpose and it's already been addressed, I am locking it. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me privately and I'll be happy to assist you promptly.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I've also changed the name of thsi topic to "To TakingthePlunge" since your original was blatantly insulting and in violation of our terms of service which clearly states that personal insults are not tolerated on this forum.