scalp tattoo shading/tinting

candoo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a good idea at all. If you have a bald spot or thinning area and get it tatooed, you will look pretty weird when your hairloss progresses and you have nothing there but the tatoo. I've also seen cases where someone tried it and the tatoo fades to a blue-ish color after a couple of years.

The only time I've heard of a tatoo being a success for a donor scar. Even that is risky, but they guy said that they used some kind of ink that doesn't fade, and the tatoo was just 'dots' to mimmick a buzzed hair cut.

Personally, I don't think I would try it.

I agree with ts808. What does work, however, is micropigmentation in an HT scar. I have seen really impressive pictures disguising the scar completely, even with a #1 cut. Something to consider for those who had a bad (or even a good) strip experience and wish to cut their hair short behind.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

A few years ago, I looked into that. Ultimately, I decided not to do it. Why not? Apparently, once you've done the micropigmentation, you've then got to wear hats and use suncream to prevent it from fading. Even if they are successful at getting the right colour (difficult), and if you're successful at not exposing it to too much sun, it will still fade in 5-8 years. Then you've got to do touch up, which is recommended. Of course, you may then have to go to a differnt micropigmentation artist who may or may not get the colour right etc. It sounds great, but is a heck of a lot of trouble and for very unpredictable results - potentially worse than what you started with (as women will testify to who went for permanent lip makeup etc.). So, perhaps something not permanent but longlasting? I found henna. Henna can be painted on yourself (don't use black because often it has been adulterated with black hair dyes, which has caused a lot of problems, skin burns etc.). The henna creates a colour that looks like a freckle and can be used for camaflauge. However, it lasts about three to five days max with washing hair. Plus it has to sit and stain the skin overnight. On top of that, you've got to preserved it in the fridge or it will go bad in a few weeks. Weird (explain this to your girlfriend,"Uh, I'm just doing my weekly henna treatment...don't touch." , time consuming, and problematic. I gave up on that stuff. Make up pens, which exists I won't use because it's just too embarrassing and also noticeable if it's too dark etc.

• 3 years later...

Let's think logically about this for a second.

Most people who are losing their hair continue to do so...until it is gone. Once the hair has finished falling out you would have a shaded head. Which looks FAR worse than being bald. Hair is three dimentional...tattoos are not. There is no way to get the proper effect. It is possible to pull it off with eyebrows because of the legnth of the hair and the way the hair lays across the skin...and yet after seeing a thousand or so women that had eyebrow tattoos, I could immediately spot them, and tell them from real eyebrows.

Why is the non-surgical section of the forum a breeding ground for promotional propoganda? Don't new subscribers take the time to read our terms of service that they agree to when they sign up? Perhaps I ought to change the terms to include a statement saying that all new members agree to pay the Associate Publisher of this community $10,000 if they break the rules. But for now, I'm just going to suspend people who use this site as a breeding ground for their commercial links.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what everyone's problem is here. I have made an appointment to have this tattooing procedure done, and I can't wait until the time comes! All my questions were answered (all the same ones that appear in this forum)to my full satisfaction. I came across this place on the internet and emailed and telephoned for weeks. I am glad I made the decision to come here, and I certainly will be back on this forum after my procedure. It is artistry concepts in southwest Florida. I have also personally spoken to others that had their procedure (the studio gave me their telephone numbers, with their clients' permission of course!) done there as well and they are all very happy and they say their lives have changed. So everyone needs to stop whining and just find a place like this one who can do it right....

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Artistry Concepts contacted me and claimed that Thomas61 is not an employee, but a genuine customer of theirs who posted on our forum from their lobby - hence the IP address match.

Artistry Concepts also apologized for violating the rules of our community by posting promotional links.

They asked permission to be allowed to post here for informational purposes as appropriate.

I feel that their explanation is possible and plausbile and thus, have unsuspended both accounts. Artistry Concepts was asked to adhere to the terms of service of our community from now on to prevent permanent suspension.

My original message is below for reference:

-----------------------

Since "Artistry Concepts" who was banned for violating our terms of service due to blatant promotion and "Thomas61" are the same person (IP addresses match), Thomas61 has been banned for attempting to manipulate this community and failing to disclose his affiliation with Artistry Concepts in his forum signature (another direct violation of our terms of service).

Ironically, I only decided to investigate when I received an email from Thomas stating that he's been unfairly maligned by Dakota for being harsh with him. And though I feel we should sometimes give members the benefit of the doubt and be friendly, my investigation concluded Thomas is a fake and Dakota is vindicated for calling this poster out.

It's amazing to me how low people will stoop to promote their product. The rules in the terms of service are clear as day and everyone is forced to agree before they register for this forum.

Onwards and Upwards around the scam artists,

Bill

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by Eagle10:

A few years ago, I looked into that. Ultimately, I decided not to do it. Why not? Apparently, once you've done the micropigmentation, you've then got to wear hats and use suncream to prevent it from fading. Even if they are successful at getting the right colour (difficult), and if you're successful at not exposing it to too much sun, it will still fade in 5-8 years. Then you've got to do touch up, which is recommended. Of course, you may then have to go to a differnt micropigmentation artist who may or may not get the colour right etc. It sounds great, but is a heck of a lot of trouble and for very unpredictable results - potentially worse than what you started with (as women will testify to who went for permanent lip makeup etc.). So, perhaps something not permanent but longlasting? I found henna. Henna can be painted on yourself (don't use black because often it has been adulterated with black hair dyes, which has caused a lot of problems, skin burns etc.). The henna creates a colour that looks like a freckle and can be used for camaflauge. However, it lasts about three to five days max with washing hair. Plus it has to sit and stain the skin overnight. On top of that, you've got to preserved it in the fridge or it will go bad in a few weeks. Weird (explain this to your girlfriend,"Uh, I'm just doing my weekly henna treatment...don't touch." , time consuming, and problematic. I gave up on that stuff. Make up pens, which exists I won't use because it's just too embarrassing and also noticeable if it's too dark etc.

How are any and all of these complications any different than a Ht?

• 1 month later...
Update: Artistry Concepts contacted me and claimed that Thomas61 is not an employee, but a genuine customer of theirs who posted on our forum from their lobby - hence the IP address match.

I am actually interested in this procedure, but call me an old cynic, I mean what 'real client’ would be posting on an internet forum within minutes of having the procedure done at the studio in question. The whole story smells rather fishy to me. Hence for that reason I will not be going anywhere near Artistry Concepts.

This now leaves 2 other companies who I have come across, His Hair Clinic (Birmingham) and Headstyle (Spain) who carry out this kind of work. Both of them have pictures on their sites, some of which actually look quite good, none the less I would want to meet their REAL clients before I make a decision of any kind.

Does anyone have any REAL personal experience in regards to either of these companies?

OMG!!!!! Just come across a thread about Artistry Concepts on another forum which makes INTERESTING reading to say the least.

Not sure if it's okay to post this (mods please remove if inappropriate)

(promotional link removed)

All I can say is thank god for the internet where you can actually do your research on a company. I really feel sorry for the guy who had his procedure done there (even though he ‘claims’ to be happy with it).

• 5 weeks later...

I also like the idea of scar camouflaging strip scars by hair tatooing and want to consider doing this in the future since:

1. I think black hair is easy to mimic while other colors might be harder.

2. I like to cut my hair down to 1 which make the scar very visible unless I use DermMatch and sprays daily.

HughShaw,

Why don't you update your social profile with some pictures and information regarding your previous hair transplant surgery? I think this will really help the community evaluate your situation and shed some light on the idea of tattooing your previous follicular unit transplantation scar!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Ok, I updated some pictures per your suggestion. The scar area is not noticeable in the picture, but very noticeable when I cut my hair very short to a 1. I'll take a picture next time I cut my hair.

I also wonder if there's anyone who has diffuse hair loss who would benefit from micropigmentating their whole scalp for a permanent dermmatch-like effect. I actually think this might work pretty well for dark hair colors. Just that you'll probably have to dye your hair black for the rest of your life when you start getting too many white hairs.

Good luck thomas61. You gonna look like a clown in a couple of years.

Unfortunately I strongly suspect most of us HT guys will look comical sooner or later, I dont see how a smiley face tattoo at the back of you head looks any worse than a white smiley face strip scar.

• 6 months later...

Im pretty sure they use the same make up as permanent eyeliner and things liek that. If thats the case it usually fades and disappears in a few years so i dont see what would be wrong with doing a scar. It beats having a flesh coloured area stick out like a sore thumb........

• 2 weeks later...

Heres one...if you DO end up tattoing the area, and in the future get another transplant./....Will the ink affect how the doctor excices a strip??? Will the ink be permanently , so to speak, leaked to the grafts???

• 1 month later...