One year effect of Propecia n Rogaine

Janna

Propecia and Rogaine of been around for many years. Patients have tried them either separately or together. Is it working or isn't it? Patients struggle to decide if it's worth the time and cost. More often than not, those who chose to stop, they go back after few months.

I've been wanting to share this patient's results for about a month and I'm finally getting a chance to do so. This patient came to us wanting a transplant, and Matt encouraged him to get on the two meds to see it's effects. The patient was willing to try for a year. Without surgery, this patient had startling results of using both products together. I also got the chance to see a dozen or so patients of Dr. Collin's in Ireland who had similar results. It may not work on everyone, but it sure seems to work well on a lot of patients.

7631073253_1A20DC58DFCC090E0F49583B1954C28F.jpg.thumb 3051062263_512927298934EEC92B327482497F07EE.jpg.thumb

hmmm, what happened to my picture? I guess I have to try again.

Bill, I need your help. Maybe you can just delete this post until I can get the picture file staightened out. Thanks.

Janna,

I don't want to delete this thread, because this forum needs more posts that display before/after pictures of hair loss medication.

Feel free to PM me if you need some help.

Each picture has to be under 500K in order to post a photo in a photo album thread.

If you need help resizing the picture, feel free to send them to help@hairtransplantnetwork.com and I'll help you out icon_smile.gif

Bill

No problem. You can also thank Bill for helping me post the picture correctly. I'm sorry to all those who saw this thread without the pictures before tonight.

You can see the two meds also work on the hairline when it's been thought they mostly help the crown. Rogaine plays a critical role, I saw pics of patients who stopped just the Rogaine but continued with Propecia to find noticable hair loss. They promptly went back to using both products.

notgoing2gobald,

Wise choice. Good luck, I hope you're one of the fortunate ones where the products have great effect.

Looks impressive.

Almost looks like about 2000-3000 grafts. I think should be a common photo for those newbies looking for some advice on early thinning.. It shows you what med ( possibly) can do if used correctly.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'm sorry to all those who saw this thread without the pictures before tonight.

Janna:

Phew...Glad you cleared that up..I thought the guy went blind... icon_wink.gif

Because I had the HT, I can't definitively state that it's the Rogaine/Propecia combo, but I believe that I had a great response from using both. I didn't have enough hairs moved, especially in the crown area, to fill in the NW6 horseshoe gap. I also think my perimeter hair, which was almost non-existent from all the damage of hair systems, rebounded from the 2 drugs. I have been on Propecia since 7/06 and started Rogaine Foam 7 months post-op.

Don't know if there is an answer for this..but here goes. (The reason I am hesitant for a second HT)

The hair re-grown in the areas mentioned seem a bit thinner than my existing hair (and lighter)"???Do you think that they would be more, or less, prone to shock during a HT?

Also, how old is the person pictured?

Thanks for posting

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Originally posted by Glock08:

The hair re-grown in the areas mentioned seem a bit thinner than my existing hair (and lighter)"???Do you think that they would be more, or less, prone to shock during a HT?

Also, how old is the person pictured?

Thanks for posting

Glock08

My personal opinion is - no, I don't think they are more prone to shock. Of course you should seek opinions from acutal ht doctors on that subject. I'm glad you feel you're getting some positive effects from the two meds. Judging from your pics and video, I agree with you.

Mute,

Try calling Dr. Collins. PM or email me if you find they charge a fee for the prescriptions. I know they charge for consultations. Good luck.

Janna,

This is a perfect post that shows that hair loss drugs such as Propecia and Rogaine really can facilitate major cosmetic improvement for some hair loss sufferers.

Clearly however, results this good are the exception and not the norm!

I would love to see more hair loss drug patients posting their before/after pictures on this forum.

Bill

Hey Janna, Ive been using the rogaine foam along with propecia for a while now but I only use the foam once a day at night, however I just double the dose. Do you think that is still as effective or not. Your post shows very impressive results.I have been on the foam for 4 mos and propecia for 14 mos.Did your patient use it once aday or twice ? Thanks Jeff

Bill,

This patient does have great effects from the two, but I've seen so many patients now who are getting this type of results. I was impressed not only from the results that Dr. Collins had, but by the sheer number of patients he had documented to have great results. We've encouraged patients to use Propecia more often in the past without giving Rogaine much respect. Again, Dr. Collins documented the patients who tried different regimens to find the two meds work the best together.

jfo,

I believe this patient said he tried to use the foam twice a day, but many days he'd only use it once a day out of laziness.

After we took his before/after pics, this patient admitted after a year and half of being on both he stopped taking the meds because he wasn't sure if they were still working. Three months later he went back on it because he started to see significant hair loss again. Many results are subtle and once the hairloss and regrowth have stablized, you may feel like the meds are not working. But as long as you're keeping your native hairs, the meds are indeed working. Also, take pictures every six months (same angle/shots) to see if there are changes. Don't just go by memory of what you think is there or not there

Glock,

This patient is in his early forties. I forgot to answer, sorry.

NoBuzz, best of luck to you. Hope it works on you!

I think sticking to a regimine is key as well. NO DABBLING , either you do it religiously or not. I have never missed more than 2 days of Propecia in my 8 years taking it .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Janna, great post. You see these results on certain websites but there is so much more merit to them coming from a respected source such as yourself. Maybe it should be pinned at the top of this section to motivate new comers to try the meds first.

I've got to say I am jealous now tho as ive been on propecia & minox dilegently for 1 yr and my hairloss has continued :-(

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

Gazza,

Thanks. Bill has my permission to pin the pic at the top like you suggested.

Did you document your progress? Sometimes the effects are very subtle. A lot of patients really don't see much difference until after a year or so. I think I've mentioned before that many patients stop using one or both products for awhile because they didn't feel like it was working. Then they find their hair loss progressing markedly. Just keep a close eye on the progression to really make sure these meds do not work for you.

Thanks Janna,

I did document the progress for the first 8mths but then lost my camera!! Anyway, I shed a lot of hairs when i first began the meds and I am experiencing a shed again at the 1yr mark. All told, I do not think I have even recovered the lost ground from the first shed. I'm going to stick it out for another yr anyway and see what comes of it. Oh and back up my progress on the pc !!!

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Janna,

Thanks for helping us guys out! You seem like a concerned, caring individual. Questions please: could you please tell us what kind of minox product this gentleman has used with such great success? And I have thinning all over the top of my head (just like the pic you posted). I can't use Propecia as I have tried it many times with horrible side effects. Could you please tell me if you think using minox alone would keep my hair or better the situation. Do most people with thinning just like the picture (all over top, including front) have better success with the liquid or foam?

I would hate to be one of those guys that gets on minox without Propecia, sheds most of his hair, then never gets half of it back. Thanks so much. Most appreciated!-Tim

Hi Tim,

This particular patient is using rogaine foam. I believe most of the patient's results I've seen from our clinic and Dr. Collin's clinic have been on rogaine foam. I do recall seeing one of our young patients who had hairline work done but was starting to have diffused thinning on top get wonderful results from propecia and the old rogaine liquid. When he came in for one year post op check, he had no signs of thinning what so ever.

Couple of the test studies done by Dr. Collins on the effects of propecia and rogaine showed significant loss of regained hairs once they stopped one of the meds.

I was under the assumption that rogaine either worked or didn't work, not that it would do any harm. I've heard people on the forum contradict this thought, so I'm more hesitant to recommend using just rogaine if you are not able to use finasteride with it.

Good luck.