Dr. Mwamba | 3703 grafts (FUE) | April 18-20 | Brussels, BE

On 12/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, jwolfe890 said:

did Dr. Mwamba not feel it'd be possible to get sufficient density in one surgery? Why was it planned for two parts from the beginning?

There was some concern about how many grafts I could get from my donor, so we decided to play it a bit a safe and do it over two surgeries to evaluate how the donor would look.  I wanted to be as conservative as possible since I didn't have the greatest donor area.

Here are some outdoor pics from today. Straight from taking off a beanie with a minor "hand comb", so ignore the mess if possible. There's two different top down pictures due to different layers of cloud cover.

Will add full sun pics too...if it ever gets sunny here this month.

20231208_143146.jpg

20231208_143259.jpg

20231208_143251.jpg

20231208_143253.jpg

20231208_143256.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steeeve said:

From thisIMG_2506.thumb.jpeg.2d29fcbc4f281c33737fbedec90524ff.jpeg

to this

IMG_2507.thumb.jpeg.00a5f25d83db8ecb775dc461d124f06e.jpeg

is truly amazing.

Again, Congratulations!

is it just me or do midscalp and vertex look better now despite not having any transplant there? the result is amazing, but i think even non transplanted areas improved. i believe i saw this in several other cases too.

maybe having a HT improves blood circulation on the scalp or something and helps existing hair? i am starting to believe in this...

9 minutes ago, jakos said:

is it just me or do midscalp and vertex look better now despite not having any transplant there? the result is amazing, but i think even non transplanted areas improved. i believe i saw this in several other cases too.

maybe having a HT improves blood circulation on the scalp or something and helps existing hair? i am starting to believe in this...

What ??? the man is on oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. It's probably just the medication's effect ...

Edited by Eli_Avdikian

2 minutes ago, Eli_Avdikian said:

What ??? the man is on oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. It's probably just the medication's effect ...

idk man. i see that's definitely a potential reason but he was already 1 year on meds when he had HT

On 12/9/2023 at 1:00 AM, jakos said:

idk man. i see that's definitely a potential reason but he was already 1 year on meds when he had HT

I think most of the gains are still from meds. I switched finaseride brands right before my surgery and definitely noticed big gains on the vertex with the new fin. I've actually stopped min for the past couple months now, but will be re-starting a lower dose of oral min next month.

I also did get 100 or so grafts to the mid-scalp, so that helped fill in a bit there. 

On 12/8/2023 at 9:25 PM, Steeeve said:

to this

is truly amazing.

Again, Congratulations!

Thanks! Although of course the "before" picture is styled to show where the hair loss is, so it's not an entirely fair comparison.

I'll try to find a couple "natural" pre-surgery pictures for a fairer comparison. But even then I think it's a massive difference.

• Like 1

A few other random observations from my experience some people may appreciate:

- I had new hairs popping through as late as 7 months post-transplant, especially where multi-hair grafts were implanted. Most of the multis started out as a single hair and then sprouted additional hairs over time.

- I had a very itchy scalp, even where no work was done, from months 3 to 5 or so podt-transplant. I think it was mostly dry scalp from the transplant and antibiotics, since switching to a more hydrating condition absolutely solved it.

- Hair is continuing to thicken up and change texture every week. Some hairs in the temples started out with weird angles but now have fallen into line over time.

- I wore a hat from almost immediately post-surgery until well into the ugly duckling stage and don't think it affected the final result at all.

- Also, pretty much all of my hairs shed with an "L" or "J" shaped kink -- all of those eventually grew back.

- I estimate over 90% yield based on the immediate post surgery graft placement pictures.

- Communication from the clinic has been pretty good actually. They've reached out a few times and have been quite responsive to emails.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:38 PM, DutchHair said:

Here are some outdoor pics from today. Straight from taking off a beanie with a minor "hand comb", so ignore the mess if possible. There's two different top down pictures due to different layers of cloud cover.

Will add full sun pics too...if it ever gets sunny here this month.

20231208_143146.jpg

20231208_143259.jpg

20231208_143251.jpg

20231208_143253.jpg

20231208_143256.jpg

Looks great. If you keep the sides shorter it would look even better!

• Administrators
On 12/8/2023 at 12:25 PM, Steeeve said:

to this

is truly amazing.

Again, Congratulations!

Wow that comparison says it all.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, Cooper48 said:

Looks great!  Can your barber even tell you had a transplant?

He definitely knows since I went back to him to trim down the sides and back pretty early on. I think most people can tell though since it's a pretty big transformation.

On 12/10/2023 at 5:14 AM, DutchHair said:

I think most of the gains are still from meds. I switched finaseride brands right before my surgery and definitely noticed big gains on the vertex with the new fin. I've actually stopped min for the past couple months now, but will be re-starting a lower dose of oral min next month.

I also did get 100 or so grafts to the mid-scalp, so that helped fill in a bit there. 

What brand did you switch to? Propecia?

On 12/23/2023 at 7:23 AM, Sunset Dune said:

What brand did you switch to? Propecia?

I initially was using the Keeps oral Finasteride when I was living in the US and had some good results with crown filling in. When I moved to NL I switched to Minoxidil Max topical and started seeing significant hair shed again. I recently switched back to the Keeps oral Finasteride and it's been working amazing. Even had some hair regrowth in the crown and mid scalp over the past 9 months.

I had no side effects on either, and it's entirely possible the topical Fin just coincided with a regular shed. But interesting nonetheless.