Is Hasson and Wong Still good? A horror story from Reddit. I have HT booked later this year and I'm a little concerned after reading this post.

Potential Malpractice from Dr.Wong on reddit here 

I have a HT booked later this year with Dr.Wong. I decided to go with him mostly due to the good reputation and results this clinic has produced over the years. Now today I run into this Reddit post about the failed surgery and how Dr.Wong was potentially not fully performing the surgery and someone else took it over resulting in bad HT. Has anyone else any input on this? Should I cancel the appointment and look somewhere else? I've been hesitant in HT in Turkey due to bad reputations and the condition of my hair - it has decent hairline and i can cover up good without hair fibers, but It lacks density generally and I was looking to add some more to add volume and to have scalp less visible. Dr.Wong recommended 2000 grafts.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go because they present vague before and after pictures. "Good reputation" may have been enough in 2005, but time flies and competition evolves, and doctors like Zarev, Feriduni, Mwamba, Munib Ahmad, Couto, Konior or Bloxham (that's just off the top my head, pretty sure there's more) provide extensive, honest, high resolution before and after pictures to document their cases. Why would you want to risk when safer (and many of them even cheaper) options exist? 

Lack of good, standarized after pictures is a red flag, regardless of reputation. There's no way you can tell this result is good or bad with this pictures:

Meanwhile, this is how a true top tier clinic presents it's work:

That's an entire world of difference, you can clearly tell the work is of great quality, because the pictures are good enough to judge it fairly.

I would stay away not just from Hasson and Wong, but from any clinic without proper before and after pictures, regardless of price and reputation.

• Like 1

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

If I'm not mistaken I believe I've seen this before. All the information in the thread shows extreme similarities to @wicker on his own thread. 

Wicker from what Melvin said was a previously banned user who has made many accounts and posts criticizing his transplants with Dr Konior, Dr Devroye and now Dr Wong. 

Also the structure of how he presented his reddit post seems very similar to the one that was made on Dr Konior on reddit. You can see someone posting it in the comments.

I'm very conflicted on this, because I believe that we have the right to know whether H&W are using technicians to do the incisions and who are doing them. But the way this poster has done his piece on a fresh account makes it look dishonest and especially the background when it comes to the suspicions that he is the same poster that posted his piece on Dr Konior. Something just doesnt seem right. Won't be able to know for now with the limited information we have.

4 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

I wouldn't go because they present vague before and after pictures. "Good reputation" may have been enough in 2005, but time flies and competition evolves, and doctors like Zarev, Feriduni, Mwamba, Munib Ahmad, Couto, Konior or Bloxham (that's just off the top my head, pretty sure there's more) provide extensive, honest, high resolution before and after pictures to document their cases. Why would you want to risk when safer (and many of them even cheaper) options exist? 

Lack of good, standarized after pictures is a red flag, regardless of reputation. There's no way you can tell this result is good or bad with this pictures:

That's an entire world of difference, you can clearly tell the work is of great quality, because the pictures are good enough to judge it fairly.

I would stay away not just from Hasson and Wong, but from any clinic without proper before and after pictures, regardless of price and reputation.

I believe that the presentation of H&W is rather standard and not necessarily vague. But I feel like when you compare to the photos showed by Dr Feriduni they really do need to step up if they want to be regarded as a top tier clinic.

• Like 3

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

As with any ‘bad’ case I’d have to see several more similar ones before passing judgement. I’d never change perception of a clinic on a single result good or bad.

H&W have been in the game a very long time and produced 1000s of decent results. Let’s not forget that before we all pile on. 

I do agree in this day and age every clinic should be producing high quality before and after photos. Those that don’t need to move with the times before they get left behind (Unless of course they’re hiding sketchy work).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

I’ve noticed this with Dr Bicer, too… her Instagram page is really vague, when presenting work. Poor quality pictures too. 

• Like 1

When researching a surgeon or clinic - you should always judge them off their worst results, considering;

what went wrong, and why 

surgeons follow up and accountability 

proposed resolution 

To elaborate for new users on the difference between a bad result and a bad result, you have to ensure that the surgical variables have been to standard, eg. Good design, good harvesting technique and pattern, correct graft selection etc. 

Less than desirable growth, despite being the obvious benchmark we tend to all focus upon, isn’t always indicative of a bad surgeon or a bad surgery. Bad harvesting, bad design, bad graft implantation techniques - these are variables that should NEVER be apparent from a surgery with a so called ‘top tier clinic’. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NegativeNorwood said:

To be brutally honest, I must agree with this comment. I've read quite a few bad reviews of H&W recently, as well as insinuations they've gotten slack and coasting off of reputation. 

All results should be posted with the highest quality images and video available. The docs you listed, Bloxham, Couto, Zarev etc all have top level presentation. 

• Like 2

H&W are in the game for a long time and one result should not change our mind of a clinic, especially if it is a case of poor growth (as this happens with any clinic). Poor craftmanship or poor ethics have to be rated more critical. 

My feedback is therefore more based on my general observations: 

- I am not sure if H&W can (still) be seen as one. Maybe we have to separate Hasson and Wong. The issue is: This is difficult based on their website.

- They seem to be prone to taking huge risks (extreme long and wide strips, high densities, and obviously also non-shaven procedures on repair cases). This is also part of the "wow" factor when it works, but if it doesn't it is devastating. Personally, as seen by my story, I am preferring conservative approaches. 

- For FUE there might be options out there with much more (longer) experience for smaller or similar price tags. 

- Saying all that: Having a tech doing the incisions is a no-go for a top clinic

• Like 2

I've never heard of the technician doing the incisions with H&W and unless it is verifiable source than I wouldn't take any heed from that. Yes, they use a technician for extractions, but that is pretty standard, and it definitely doesn't mean the quality is any less. 

Based on this posters sketchy history I wouldn't take what he says with too much weight yet. 

If they did have a tech to make the bigger amount of incisions, I'd be very surprised and disappointed.

If they left him high and dry after a result as bad as he puts it literally, I'd be the same.

To chime in about the strip scar taken too wide, there is no universal rule about a certain height making it more prone to stretching as everyones laxity is different. Even in the best hands, there is no guarantee you'll get a glorious 'pencil thin' one. This is the reality of surgery. In the pictures his hair is far too short and he would likely benefit from a scar revision. 

Keep in mind this is only his side of the story, but If it's enough to deter you from going with them that's totally fine, but I would NOT consider Turkey. Consult with a few other surgeons on the recommended list and see who you feel most comfortable with.

Edited by BurnieBurns

The Reddit mod said he might reach out to the clinic to address this, so it's worth waiting to hear the other side of the story before making a decision. Would wait for the clinic to respond, as it feels weird they'd risk their reputation by having a tech do the incision.

Edited by Fox243

1 hour ago, MrFox said:

I've never heard of the technician doing the incisions with H&W and unless it is verifiable source than I wouldn't take any heed from that. Yes, they use a technician for extractions, but that is pretty standard, and it definitely doesn't mean the quality is any less. 

When you say incisions do you mean the recipient sites or also the FUE excision sites? 

40 minutes ago, BurnieBurns said:

Based on this posters sketchy history I wouldn't take what he says with too much weight yet. 

If they did have a tech to make the bigger amount of incisions, I'd be very surprised and disappointed.

If they left him high and dry after a result as bad as he puts it literally, I'd be the same.

To chime in about the strip scar taken too wide, there is no universal rule about a certain height making it more prone to stretching as everyones laxity is different. Even in the best hands, there is no guarantee you'll get a glorious 'pencil thin' one. This is the reality of surgery. In the pictures his hair is far too short and he would likely benefit from a scar revision. 

Keep in mind this is only his side of the story, but If it's enough to deter you from going with them that's totally fine, but I would NOT consider Turkey. Consult with a few other surgeons on the recommended list and see who you feel most comfortable with.

He got a pencil thin scar from Dr Konior. Hard to say his physiology is at fault. Reduced laxity cannot be an excuse either because Dr Wong would have examined his laxity. 

9 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

He got a pencil thin scar from Dr Konior. Hard to say his physiology is at fault. Reduced laxity cannot be an excuse either because Dr Wong would have examined his laxity. 

The wideness of the strip and the outcome of the scar were two seperate points. JT for example had one scar from Dr Wong that stretched then another that didn't 

3 minutes ago, BurnieBurns said:

He would mean the recipient incisions. H&W do have techs do the FUE extractions.

The extraction has two phases, scoring and plucking. Scoring involves making an incision, cutting the flesh. It's the main risk of transection in whole procedure. Surely doctor does this himself? 

Edited by Rafael Manelli

There's multiple instances of neglect by the clinic, that patient that posted here about how he went home before the operation was finished, only saw him for 15 minutes, etc. etc.. it's safe to say you're insane to go somewhere and pay exorbitant prices for row implantations and to be treated as if you're a hair mill patient.. 

5 hours ago, mister_25 said:

If I'm not mistaken I believe I've seen this before. All the information in the thread shows extreme similarities to @wicker on his own thread. 

Wicker from what Melvin said was a previously banned user who has made many accounts and posts criticizing his transplants with Dr Konior, Dr Devroye and now Dr Wong. 

Also the structure of how he presented his reddit post seems very similar to the one that was made on Dr Konior on reddit. You can see someone posting it in the comments.

I'm very conflicted on this, because I believe that we have the right to know whether H&W are using technicians to do the incisions and who are doing them. But the way this poster has done his piece on a fresh account makes it look dishonest and especially the background when it comes to the suspicions that he is the same poster that posted his piece on Dr Konior. Something just doesnt seem right. Won't be able to know for now with the limited information we have.

I believe that the presentation of H&W is rather standard and not necessarily vague. But I feel like when you compare to the photos showed by Dr Feriduni they really do need to step up if they want to be regarded as a top tier clinic.

You're on the money - this is QuiBono, who has also gone by the aliases Wicker and Anotherbaldguy and now WoodenBlueberry. I'm actually very sad to see that this transplant has failed.

I will say that if a tech was as involved (as is alleged), that is a MASSIVE red flag and ought to be fully investigated. We had a similar case with Nordster -- though it was Dr. H rather than Dr. W in that case. If true, why are people paying top dollar for minimal doctor involvement at H&W? That's completely unacceptable. It's a very, very concerning pattern that many "top" clinics are cutting corners these days.

That said, I have some doubts about the QuiBono's credibility. The constant alts and thread deletions is shady - this must be the second H&W thread he's created (his original was under the Wicker account on Reddit and that was deleted for some reason...?). The same was true of his thread with Konior and Devroye. My impression of him is that he unfortunately has Buyer's Remorse and may be taking unnecessary risks (against potential doctor advice).

It's a shame. His original FUT scar was fantastic, but this new scar is awful. There's really no excuse for a scar this wide, unless he was warned that it was a possibility.

• Like 2

Some of the victim blaming in this thread is hilarious. If this had been about Asli Tarcan or Cosmedica or Smile Hair Clinic etc. everyone would be screaming bloody murder. But anytime someone has a laughably poor result from one of the popular clinics recommended here (i.e. Eugenix, Hasson and Wong, Diep historically, etc) people question the ethics and integrity of that person. The result from the FUT scar is terrible and the claim that a technician was making incisions is certainly not preposterous and somewhat in line with another case we saw from this clinic where Dr. Hasson left before the operation was finished and failed to even pretend to care about the patient's experience. 

• Like 4
  • Well Done 2

29 minutes ago, Berik said:

Some of the victim blaming in this thread is hilarious. If this had been about Asli Tarcan or Cosmedica or Smile Hair Clinic etc. everyone would be screaming bloody murder. But anytime someone has a laughably poor result from one of the popular clinics recommended here (i.e. Eugenix, Hasson and Wong, Diep historically, etc) people question the ethics and integrity of that person. The result from the FUT scar is terrible and the claim that a technician was making incisions is certainly not preposterous and somewhat in line with another case we saw from this clinic where Dr. Hasson left before the operation was finished and failed to even pretend to care about the patient's experience. 

Completely agree. Way, way too many unacceptable results from certain forum darlings are defended on here. How many more people need to be botched before we have a serious discussion about certain doctor’s ethics…it is a taint on the integrity of this community that more serious discussions are not had in such cases. Took ages for a certain doctor to be removed. 

H&Ws rep is active here. Hope for posterity’s sake, he responds to these very serious claims. Imo - this is even worse than Nordster. Massive scar and nearly no growth. It’s a disaster plain and simple.

That said, it isn’t like the risks weren’t made known to QuiBono. For example, believe Dr. K warned him against another FUT. It’s a shame he didn’t heed that advice. I can only hope that Dr. W at least gave warning that scar widening was a possibility….

• Like 5

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, deepthoughts1 said:

Potential Malpractice from Dr.Wong on reddit here 

I have a HT booked later this year with Dr.Wong. I decided to go with him mostly due to the good reputation and results this clinic has produced over the years. Now today I run into this Reddit post about the failed surgery and how Dr.Wong was potentially not fully performing the surgery and someone else took it over resulting in bad HT. Has anyone else any input on this? Should I cancel the appointment and look somewhere else? I've been hesitant in HT in Turkey due to bad reputations and the condition of my hair - it has decent hairline and i can cover up good without hair fibers, but It lacks density generally and I was looking to add some more to add volume and to have scalp less visible. Dr.Wong recommended 2000 grafts.

Personally I would stay away from reddit. I'm not familiar with this case (nor have I read through it) but every surgeon has had a result that was poor. That's just part of doing your due diligence and understanding that a hair transplant is a last resort. All the best.

• Wow 1
  • Face Palm 8