Has your transplanted hair thinned over time?

Although we have always been told that transplanted hair is DHT resistant a lot of research is showing up that claims that the recipient area has a significant impact on the transplanted hairs. This means that oftentimes after 4-5 years, the transplanted hair themselves will begin to thin. For example, this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061642/ found that 91% of people in the study who got a transplant had increased thinning in their transplanted hair after 4 years. This video explores this in depth: Removed

For people who have had a transplant at least 4 years ago, how has the transplanted hair held up?

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I wouldn't believe anyone who believes that scalp massages can stop hair loss. Do hair transplants thin? Here's a better video with the input from actual hair transplant surgeons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jwolfe890 said:

It's not just the video though. This is an actual study from a peer reviewed journal that found those results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061642/

A four year study is hardly long enough to tell the longevity of a hair transplant. I had my hair transplant almost 10 years ago. @Pat - Community Publisher had his hair transplant over 20 years ago. Now, hair transplants do thin, but certainly no where near what that video suggests. I suggest listening to @Dr. Ron Shapiro in this video, he provides fantastic information. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It is basic biology, a hair follicle is an organ, and you can alter its position via FUE transplant. If the organ is still living, its lifespan should be exactly the same (unless you damaged it). Transplanted hairs are more genetically resistant to DHT and actually thats why they last much longer than native hair in most cases.

DHT blockers are a nice preventive measure to make sure those transplanted hairs keep being resistant to hair loss though

8 hours ago, jwolfe890 said:

It's not just the video though. This is an actual study from a peer reviewed journal that found those results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061642/

No offense this study is literally pointless. It doesn't compare grade alopecia with results and doesnt compare native hair to transplated hair.

Obviously if you are NW4 on the road to NW6, unmedicated, and have a transplant, after 4 years your hair will be worse (every hair, no matter what if it was transplanted or not)

Family history of androgenetic alopecia was documented in 101 (90.17%) subjects

That should tell you enough about this study

EDIT: sorry to keep coming back but im loling at the study, look what sample of patients they used?? this is a patient 1 year after hair transplant
349934cf9817d0fdf8789a9199086c56.jpg
What kind of surgeon did this transplant. What if the sample of people just went to a sh!t surgeon? 😅 

Every patient is from same ethnity (indian), most likely using same surgeon or clinic. This study is very bad to conclude anything.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

Long story short, it’s possible that transplanted hair will thin overtime just as all hair can thin over time even in those who don’t suffer from male pattern baldness. That said, it definitely takes longer than four years for the transplanted hair to thin - so I agree that 4 years would not be long enough to study this.  The fact is, old age can affect one’s overall hair thickness and density but it typically takes a long time for this to happen and the thinning process would be gradual not just transplanted hair but natural hair too.  This is why I always tell people that transplanted hair will typically last as long as your donor hair will.  But generally speaking hair transplants really do stand the test of time.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Not citing any studies but I have to imagine - even with MPB out of the picture, that an elderly person's hair will not be as strong, thick, shiny, etc. as it was when they were younger. 

But if your HT's were good maybe this difference will be negligible. And hopefully when you reach the age of 70+, you will have gracefully accepted aging as a fact of life and thick vs thin transplant hair won't be as much of an issue. 

For me personally as someone in their 30s, I will be very surprised if MPB is cured/reversible within my lifetime. I will even be surprised if consumer-available hair cloning will become a thing in my lifetime. 

But...I will not be surprised at all and even predict there will be newer medications that are superior to Fin and Dut that can greatly preserve the quality/thickness of existing hair. That is not really far-fetched or in the realm of science fiction. Even presently, Fin/Dut are known to keep existing hair strong and healthy. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, jwolfe890 said:

Although we have always been told that transplanted hair is DHT resistant a lot of research is showing up that claims that the recipient area has a significant impact on the transplanted hairs. This means that oftentimes after 4-5 years, the transplanted hair themselves will begin to thin. For example, this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061642/ found that 91% of people in the study who got a transplant had increased thinning in their transplanted hair after 4 years. This video explores this in depth: Removed

For people who have had a transplant at least 4 years ago, how has the transplanted hair held up?

This is kind of weak research for a few reasons. 112 subjects seems like "alot" but really you need to do this in the thousands to have a better statistical significance. 4 years is way too short of a study to give longevity results. Also, and this might just be the majority of people that they pulled from, why are they all of Indian-Asian descent? You need a mixed race of hair transplant patients. Maybe one ethnicity has better or poorer results, or even where they got their hair transplant from. I dont know who reviewed the papers that get published but this one was very weak. 

50 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Not citing any studies but I have to imagine - even with MPB out of the picture, that an elderly person's hair will not be as strong, thick, shiny, etc. as it was when they were younger. 

But if your HT's were good maybe this difference will be negligible. And hopefully when you reach the age of 70+, you will have gracefully accepted aging as a fact of life and thick vs thin transplant hair won't be as much of an issue. 

For me personally as someone in their 30s, I will be very surprised if MPB is cured/reversible within my lifetime. I will even be surprised if consumer-available hair cloning will become a thing in my lifetime. 

But...I will not be surprised at all and even predict there will be newer medications that are superior to Fin and Dut that can greatly preserve the quality/thickness of existing hair. That is not really far-fetched or in the realm of science fiction. Even presently, Fin/Dut are known to keep existing hair strong and healthy. 

Firmly agree with this. Could be 100% DHT topical blockers in the future. Or maybe oral dht resistance with less sides for people. Who knows. At 80 I don’t care if my hair is crazy thick. But I think most transplanted hair at least lasts well into 50-60s before you’d notice any thinning signs. It’s not like you get an HT at 28 and at 35 you are bald. Unless some underlying medical condition or DUPA took place

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Firmly agree with this. Could be 100% DHT topical blockers in the future. Or maybe oral dht resistance with less sides for people. Who knows. At 80 I don’t care if my hair is crazy thick. But I think most transplanted hair at least lasts well into 50-60s before you’d notice any thinning signs. It’s not like you get an HT at 28 and at 35 you are bald. Unless some underlying medical condition or DUPA took place

Wont be 100% dht blockers for the scalp with systemic absorption,

That is fantasy.

Actually with people's diet's & Testosterone levels dropping so much I actually think people will be more susceptible to side affects.

Hair Transplants are the best solution imo. 

They are the big breakthrough in the last 20 years, Maybe better techiques can improve body hair survival.

• Like 1

Thought experiment.  The donor area thins over time.  

My personal easy conclusion:  Hair transplant will thin over time most likely at least the same rate as donor does, especially if not on meds.

Check out my journey here:

As the video points out, transplanted hair can thin over time. The key word being can. Generally speaking, the more aggressive your hair loss is, meaning the more you lost at an earlier age, the more likely this will be the case.

Most people do not go to Norwood 6 or 7 or bald this aggressively. So, I would generally tell most people not to worry about their transplanted hairs. 

My humble recommendation would be, if you are Norwood 6 or 7 in your twenties, you should definitely be on a DHT inhibitor to preserve your transplant, otherwise you will have spent a lot of money and time for multiple surgeries and rolling the dice with your result.

In your 30s and 40s, well, you are probably safer. 50s even more so.

A lot of people complain of lost density after 3-4 years.  i think this is because intially you get 100% growth, but once everything settles down the hair goes back into its regular shedding phases - typically 15% of all hairs.

So you end up with 85% of the initial result.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

9 hours ago, 1978matt said:

A lot of people complain of lost density after 3-4 years.  i think this is because intially you get 100% growth, but once everything settles down the hair goes back into its regular shedding phases - typically 15% of all hairs.

So you end up with 85% of the initial result.

Thats a good point, because HT makes all hairs syncronized in same hair cycle whereas our real hair cycle is meant to be asynchronous.

A full hair cycle can take up to 5 years by the way.

6 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Thats a good point, because HT makes all hairs syncronized in same hair cycle whereas our real hair cycle is meant to be asynchronous.

A full hair cycle can take up to 5 years by the way.

Did hair transplant will pull up again after anagen phase ?

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

• 2 weeks later...