Oral Minoxidil for over 1 year

Jayson1361

1 hour ago, ssimpson7511 said:

How is he a looney?

He claims that DHT is a trash hormone. His exact words. 

It's a reasonable argument to make that a lot of men can tolerate pretty drastic reductions in their DHT levels, but it's another thing to outright call DHT a trash hormone. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

He claims that DHT is a trash hormone. His exact words. 

It's a reasonable argument to make that a lot of men can tolerate pretty drastic reductions in their DHT levels, but it's another thing to outright call DHT a trash hormone. 

It is a trash hormone, I think you are mistaken on your interpretation of what he means.  Its trash because it causes hairloss that no-one wants....so trash.

• Administrators
On 6/26/2023 at 10:20 AM, BackFromTheBrink said:

I interpreted trash hormone as having no practical use in adulthood. It's clear that it does have some influence on mental and sexual health, so in my opinion it's not an accurate assessment.

Yea, same. If you imply something is trash, it means it has no use. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

He actually talks about the trash hormone on other videos where he implies its trash becuause of the negative effects it can have.

besides you cant deny the risks, they're all facts.

Edited by ssimpson7511

On 5/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, LeveledUp said:

Switched from topical to 2.5mg oral 7 months ago and my hairs the worse it’s been in a while. Seems I’m not a responder to oral minoxidil? Topical seems way more effective for me

I’ve literally lost everything I gained whilst on topical.

Same for me.  I don't think oral Min works for me (5mg).  Might go back to topical.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jim1973 said:

Same for me.  I don't think oral Min works for me (5mg).  Might go back to topical.  

How long have you been in oral minoxidil? And when you were on topical, did you have to wash you hair everyday ?

I had been on topical Min from 2013-2022.  I didn't grow much hair but didn't lose much (was also taking Fin).  I started oral in August 2022 at 1.25mg.  After 2 months and no sides, increased to 2.5mg.  After 6 months of no improvement and losing ground, I increased to 5mg, which I've been on for 3 months now.  The only sides I get is water weight retention (5lbs) and increased body hair growth.  Sadly this isn't doing much on top of my head.  

• Thanks 1

I switched from 5 to 2,5mg daily and are on oral now for nearly 4 month. I would like to check with a Doctor if everything is fine so far. Do you know what would be worth checking at a doctor besides the blood pressure?

For minor side effects such as swelling of limbs, you should be able to confirm yourself.  For blood pressure, a doctor can easily give you a current value (and compare with your previous results).  To be more thorough, you can get a heart test to look for swelling/fluid but you likely wouldn't have any prior tests to determine if you had before using a product or not.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 10:16 PM, ScottishGuy21 said:

Tried oral minox recently and had some scary sides. Chest pain and a change in heart rate kicked in around the 3-4 week mark.

Thankfully after a full heath check and coming off it I’m fine now. Dr suggested the bag around my heart had taken on excess fluids. He couldn’t say 100% it was the meds as viral infections can cause this however he’d be very surprised if it wasn’t. 

So just a word of warning. Even if you’ve got a full bill of health and no previous medical issues these meds can have quite serious side effects . I know I’m probably the 1/100 minority it happens to but be careful when first starting them and listen to your body.

That's worrying. I think I've just started heading in that unfortunate direction too, and my cardiovascular system is normally perfectly healthy.