Oral Minoxidil for over 1 year

Jayson1361

I've been taking oral minoxidil for 22 months, I haven't had any problems, except for the first week when it was an adjustment and I may have had lower blood pressure.  In my thread you can see my results (although I take more things).

A hug!

• Like 1

I've taken it for about 6 months at 2.5 mg, just bumped to 5 mg. Hair has thickened throughout. No side effects of which I'm aware. Haven't been measuring my blood pressure but I've also lost weight over this time so that number's going to have dropped regardless.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:27 PM, consequence said:

I've taken it for about 6 months at 2.5 mg, just bumped to 5 mg. Hair has thickened throughout. No side effects of which I'm aware. Haven't been measuring my blood pressure but I've also lost weight over this time so that number's going to have dropped regardless.

Did you experience any shedding?

On 3/28/2023 at 4:49 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I take 2.5mg 3x a week and 5mg 4x a week. Only reason I don’t take 5mg daily is to conserve my supply. I have a 90-day supply for 2.5mg. 

I asked my doc if we can bump me up to 5mg and they told me no.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, webathon said:

I asked my doc if we can bump me up to 5mg and they told me no.

What’s the reason?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 4/8/2023 at 3:40 AM, samz_033 said:

Same. I was going to start oral minoxidil until i came across this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9577643/. Even at low doses it can be dangerous

" He had a medical history significant for idiopathic pericarditis complicated by pericardial effusion 5 years prior but was otherwise healthy without coexisting cardiac, hepatic, or renal disease."

Did you not read that part?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 3:15 AM, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

How significant a shed did you experience while starting on oral minoxidil? 

I actually switched from topical to oral minoxidil about 5 weeks back, and I've been experiencing increased shedding over the past 3 weeks. Particularly over the last week, I feel my hair coverage and density has worsened in the mid-scalp! 

When exactly did you start seeing results? 

My mid scalp density got worse too when I went on oral minoxidil. It’s like a chunk of hair is missing there which creates a gap and it’s hard to style. Did your mid scalp return back to normal?

On 4/8/2023 at 5:21 AM, Gatsby said:

I have had zero side effects from 5mg oral minoxidil (about the only FDA hair drug that I don’t get sides from). I’ve also been back at the gym for a month now too. But at the first sign of side effects I’ll drop the drug. 

When did you get your transplant? How long did you wait to get back to the gym? 

9 hours ago, Smacias15 said:

My mid scalp density got worse too when I went on oral minoxidil. It’s like a chunk of hair is missing there which creates a gap and it’s hard to style. Did your mid scalp return back to normal?

Hey! 

Unfortunately my midscalp hasn't returned to normal. In fact it's become even thinner over the past 3 months that I have been on oral minoxidil, so much so that even a proper combover isn't sufficient to completely cover the midscalp now.

I spoke to doc. He said that shedding (or its effects) can last for upto 3 months, so I should continue the medication. I should hopefully see some improvement in the next 3 months. 

Do note that minoxidil by itself can't permanently thin out an area. If you are not on finasteride/dutasteride, or if they aren't working well on you, minoxidil may accelerate the departure of some of those vellus hairs. How long have you been on oral minoxidil? And were you on topical before that?

On 4/9/2023 at 1:05 AM, PelazoVenAMi said:

I've been taking oral minoxidil for 22 months, I haven't had any problems, except for the first week when it was an adjustment and I may have had lower blood pressure.  In my thread you can see my results (although I take more things).

A hug!

Link to your thread?

7 hours ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Hey! 

Unfortunately my midscalp hasn't returned to normal. In fact it's become even thinner over the past 3 months that I have been on oral minoxidil, so much so that even a proper combover isn't sufficient to completely cover the midscalp now.

I spoke to doc. He said that shedding (or its effects) can last for upto 3 months, so I should continue the medication. I should hopefully see some improvement in the next 3 months. 

Do note that minoxidil by itself can't permanently thin out an area. If you are not on finasteride/dutasteride, or if they aren't working well on you, minoxidil may accelerate the departure of some of those vellus hairs. How long have you been on oral minoxidil? And were you on topical before that?

Thanks for the feedback. I will stick with it since know I  know oral minoxidil can’t permanently cause hair loss which is a relief. I have been on oral minoxidil for 4 months and just started oral finasteride 2 weeks ago. Can those vellus hairs that fell off because oral minoxidil come back? Since the medication can’t cause permanent hair loss. 

On 5/2/2023 at 11:52 PM, Smacias15 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will stick with it since know I  know oral minoxidil can’t permanently cause hair loss which is a relief. I have been on oral minoxidil for 4 months and just started oral finasteride 2 weeks ago. Can those vellus hairs that fell off because oral minoxidil come back? Since the medication can’t cause permanent hair loss. 

Yes. If you've managed to keep DHT at bay, those vellus hairs should certainly come back, and they should come back longer, thicker and stronger since minoxidil prolongs the anagen or growth phase of the hair cycle. 

Since you have just started on finasteride, you may see even more improvement if the drug works very well for you

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, patrick1916 said:

I had a HT and didn't use any follow-up meds, and had one last year and use Finasteride and Minoxidl and can see the difference after 6 months, wish I did it sooner.

That’s great to hear. What’s your dosage and routine for oral finasteride ?

Edited by Smacias15

Switched from topical to 2.5mg oral 7 months ago and my hairs the worse it’s been in a while. Seems I’m not a responder to oral minoxidil? Topical seems way more effective for me

I’ve literally lost everything I gained whilst on topical.

• Like 1

Ive been on 5mg for over a year (1year 4 months in total on Oral Minoxidil). I started off with 2.5mg for the first 3 months to see how my body would react and if I would get any sides. 

As I felt perfectly fine, I upped the dose to 5mg. Ive had zero side effects that Im aware of. 

Results: Beard got thicker, chest hair a little bit a fluffier and hair on head thickened up a bit. 

I decided to add it to my regime as Ive been on Finasteride and Topical Minoxidil for 8 years and over the last few years I've lost some gains. Will possibly add Top Dut at some point to help maintain. 

I was suggested Oral Minox from DR Bisanga after a consultation to help strengthen my hair before my schedule HT with him in Sept this year.  

So far so good, id say def worth a try. Just start with 2.5 and see how you feel then up the dose if you feel comfortable. Hope that helps.