Oral Minoxidil for over 1 year

Jayson1361

• Jayson1361 changed the title to Oral Minoxidil for over 1 year
  • Administrators

I think @Rolandas has been on it for a year. I’ve been on it close to 6 months. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, Spring15 said:

I've been on it a year and a half. I'm not sure if there's been improvement or not. My transplant hides my real hairline

Were you On it before your HT? Did you notice anything involving thickness or density vs hairline improvement? 

2 hours ago, Jayson1361 said:

Were you On it before your HT? Did you notice anything involving thickness or density vs hairline improvement? 

No I wasn't. I haven't noticed anything tbh - not sure if I've maintained/lost

Did you happen to haven any side effects? I will go to Belgium and meet with Dr. Bisanga and it might lead to a year of oral minoxidil before a possible hair transplant. I do have a lot of body hair and are a bit afraight it might get more.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 6:48 AM, ljpcarrera said:

Over a year on 2.5 daily. Definitely entire scalp grows quicker and is thicker. No side effects. 

On 2/8/2023 at 6:48 AM, ljpcarrera said:

Over a year on 2.5 daily. Definitely entire scalp grows quicker and is thicker. No side effects. 

Do you feel like results have peaked? If so when did you notice the effects peaking? 6 months in, 12 months in? 

On 1/28/2023 at 2:32 AM, GearHead1 said:

I’ve been on 2.5 mg for just over five months with great results. Definitely my hair is thicker and more of it and just about zero shedding now. 

How significant a shed did you experience while starting on oral minoxidil? 

I actually switched from topical to oral minoxidil about 5 weeks back, and I've been experiencing increased shedding over the past 3 weeks. Particularly over the last week, I feel my hair coverage and density has worsened in the mid-scalp! 

When exactly did you start seeing results? 

5 minutes ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

How significant a shed did you experience while starting on oral minoxidil? 

I actually switched from topical to oral minoxidil about 5 weeks back, and I've been experiencing increased shedding over the past 3 weeks. Particularly over the last week, I feel my hair coverage and density has worsened in the mid-scalp! 

When exactly did you start seeing results? 

I started shedding about five weeks in, lasted about 5 to 6 weeks, then completely stopped. I saw significant results about five months in. (Note: I never was on topical minoxidil). This is the only medication that has truly given me noticeable results. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, GearHead1 said:

I started shedding about five weeks in, lasted about 5 to 6 weeks, then completely stopped. I saw significant results about five months in. (Note: I never was on topical minoxidil). This is the only medication that has truly given me noticeable results. 

Did you experience any side effects, such as increased body hair growth? And any impact on beard hair?

4 minutes ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Did you experience any side effects, such as increased body hair growth? And any impact on beard hair?

Maybe a slight increase in body hair growth & thicker beard hair. No other side effects. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've been on it now for over 6 months, no sides at all except my body hair grows quick and my leg hair is longer. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 11:10 AM, KenzoTenma said:

Did you happen to haven any side effects? I will go to Belgium and meet with Dr. Bisanga and it might lead to a year of oral minoxidil before a possible hair transplant. I do have a lot of body hair and are a bit afraight it might get more.

I'm going to start minoxidil in a few weeks but I'm worried about the same thing about getting more body hair

1 hour ago, vosvos said:

I'm going to start minoxidil in a few weeks but I'm worried about the same thing about getting more body hair

you will not turn into a gorilla. stop worry about that. be more worried about the side effects from fin and dut, or the other side effects from oral min like edema, and pericarditis . hypertrichosis is chump change unless you are a woman 

Edited by 12345

40 minutes ago, 12345 said:

you will not turn into a gorilla. stop worry about that. be more worried about the side effects from fin and dut, or the other side effects from oral min like edema, and pericarditis . hypertrichosis is chump change unless you are a woman 

I Have you experienced any side effects from minoxidil? The part that touches the heart is especially disturbing. Because it is not as easily seen as edema.

20 minutes ago, vosvos said:

I Have you experienced any side effects from minoxidil? The part that touches the heart is especially disturbing. Because it is not as easily seen as edema.

I have been on it 2 months so far. Side effect free (or no noticeable side effects). Perhaps maybe an increase in the  length of the small hairs on my face around my eyes, but nothing that makes me say "wow"

54 minutes ago, 12345 said:

I have been on it 2 months so far. Side effect free (or no noticeable side effects). Perhaps maybe an increase in the  length of the small hairs on my face around my eyes, but nothing that makes me say "wow"

thank you! that calms me down

Tried oral minox recently and had some scary sides. Chest pain and a change in heart rate kicked in around the 3-4 week mark.

Thankfully after a full heath check and coming off it I’m fine now. Dr suggested the bag around my heart had taken on excess fluids. He couldn’t say 100% it was the meds as viral infections can cause this however he’d be very surprised if it wasn’t. 

So just a word of warning. Even if you’ve got a full bill of health and no previous medical issues these meds can have quite serious side effects . I know I’m probably the 1/100 minority it happens to but be careful when first starting them and listen to your body.

Edited by ScottishGuy21
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 3/25/2023 at 7:30 PM, webathon said:

Do you take 2.5mg or 5mg?

I take 2.5mg 3x a week and 5mg 4x a week. Only reason I don’t take 5mg daily is to conserve my supply. I have a 90-day supply for 2.5mg. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 9:36 AM, Stewie said:

Fancy trying this out too, but its not approved in the UK, the side effects do worry me, but worth giving it a try to see if it effects me as I have had nothing from 1mg Finasteride for the last year tbh

Same. I was going to start oral minoxidil until i came across this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9577643/. Even at low doses it can be dangerous

• Face Palm 1