Can I wear a baseball cap after a hair transplant

9 minutes ago, Blane123 said:

Finished my 3000 grafts hairline procedure yesterday, would it be safe to wear a baseball hat? 

Speak to your dr and follow their guidance. 

Personally, I would avoid putting anything on my head until at least the scabs have been removed. 

Edited by Curious25

Some people say it's fine to wear as long as it isn't touching your grafts, but frankly I didn't wear one until 10ish days after my procedure. I had a short flight home and didn't really care if people saw me looking all haggard and cut up post-op. Just seems worth the peace of mind to deal with people noticing you as opposed to worrying about risking your grafts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Some people say it's fine to wear as long as it isn't touching your grafts, but frankly I didn't wear one until 10ish days after my procedure. I had a short flight home and didn't really care if people saw me looking all haggard and cut up post-op. Just seems worth the peace of mind to deal with people noticing you as opposed to worrying about risking your grafts. 

I agree. I work a cap previously but when i get another procedure i wont. It is quite annoying

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

i was able to. But you have to wear it a certain way that it isnt touching any grafts

I am honestly pretty embarrassed to go out like this tomorrow to the airport

Before going I will visit my surgeon for the last time and ask him about wearing it

Blane... the risk isn't worth it. I get it, the airport and the possible looks but hey man, it's one day... most people are so wrapped up in their own deal anyway. Think if you saw somebody looking like you, you'd likely go huh and continue on about your day if you thought much of it at all. 

Also security check point on and off with the hat... just seems dicey even if the doc says fine as long as you don't disturb the grafts. You won't want some area in your hair to be compromised in 7 months because of one day at the airport where you had a mishap with a hat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ray35 said:

Blane... the risk isn't worth it. I get it, the airport and the possible looks but hey man, it's one day... most people are so wrapped up in their own deal anyway. Think if you saw somebody looking like you, you'd likely go huh and continue on about your day if you thought much of it at all. 

Also security check point on and off with the hat... just seems dicey even if the doc says fine as long as you don't disturb the grafts. You won't want some area in your hair to be compromised in 7 months because of one day at the airport where you had a mishap with a hat.

That's true tho... I usually wear hats and every single time in airport security scan they ask me to remove it. With a recent transplant and all the time you take to place it safely having them remove it again in a rush sounds scary. 

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

I checked into a nice hotel the day after my transplant, my Airbnb sucked so we moved on, anyways it was huge resort style hotel, I didn’t give a crap what people thought, I was just so happy to see my new hairline, in fact my wife and I went down to the hotel bar that evening, it was packed, I still had a white wrap in my donor area and we both sat at the bar, I had a cold beer and some apps, was waiting for someone to ask me about it, nobody cared but I did notice there was one bar tender kind of eyeing me but he was balding pretty bad and was probably really curious, but he never said a word to me, if he would of I would been excited to talk about it with him, Don’t worry about it, just be careful you don’t bang your head. 

Guys, honestly, there is nothing to worry about and nothing to hide. Don't wear hats. Nobody will care or stare. This is 2022. Just go about your business and if someone looks you over, nod, smile, walk on. You'll never see those people again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StillAlive said:

Guys, honestly, there is nothing to worry about and nothing to hide. Don't wear hats. Nobody will care or stare. This is 2022. Just go about your business and if someone looks you over, nod, smile, walk on. You'll never see those people again. 

It is extremely obvious to me this is true, yet, I don't feel comfortable doing it. I am so used to hide my insecurities under a hat by this point. This stupid monke brain 😅

Are you going to Istanbul by any chance? Literally more people are walking around that airport with bandages on and work done than 'normal' ones. You have a better chance of fitting in going as you are. Also, the minute that you see yourself with a hairline after years of being Baldie McBaldilocks , you go crazy with hair-joy and many things cease to matter :D 

• Haha 2

Just wear sunglasses and/or a covid mask. 

I empathise with being self conscious, but considering the time, effort and money you are investing into a procedure that uses a limited and finite resource, for the sake of risking dislodging any grafts or knocking a scab out of place and causing bleeding, it really isn’t worth it for the sake of appearances in front of an airport of strangers. 

Think about the long game. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blane123 said:

I am honestly pretty embarrassed to go out like this tomorrow to the airport

Before going I will visit my surgeon for the last time and ask him about wearing it

You get a load of stares lol. people are a holes.

Follow my Hair Transplant experience with Eugenix!

Nov 16, 2022

3 hours ago, StillAlive said:

Are you going to Istanbul by any chance? Literally more people are walking around that airport with bandages on and work done than 'normal' ones. You have a better chance of fitting in going as you are. Also, the minute that you see yourself with a hairline after years of being Baldie McBaldilocks , you go crazy with hair-joy and many things cease to matter :D 

I got my transplant done in Belgium which makes it a bit more awkward since it is not common to see foreigners getting this procedure done here.

Anyways, I am at the airport right now, honestly the recipient area healed pretty good and it's not that red and weird looking so I just took off the hat. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Blane123,

There are already a lot of replies this topic so I’m sure your question has been long answered. I also have not read ever respond so I’m only addressing your original question.

That said, yes you can wear a loose fitting baseball cap immediately after surgery. In fact, many clinics/physicians supply a loose fitting hat on the day of the procedure for you to wear to help you protect the grafts.  That said, I would personally stay away from fitted hats and anything that is snug against the scalp for about a week

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

10 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Blane123,

There are already a lot of replies this topic so I’m sure your question has been long answered. I also have not read ever respond so I’m only addressing your original question.

That said, yes you can wear a loose fitting baseball cap immediately after surgery. In fact, many clinics/physicians supply a loose fitting hat on the day of the procedure for you to wear to help you protect the grafts.  That said, I would personally stay away from fitted hats and anything that is snug against the scalp for about a week

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

After a HT do you think after a week a touque would be ok to wear