Can I wear a baseball cap after a hair transplant

• Moderators

I wore a baseball cap immediately after the procedure to walk back to the hotel and then again the next day to walk back to the Drs office for a cleaning and checkup and to go home. Once I got home I didn't wear it again. I just hung out at home for a few days until the scabs started coming off.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:46 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Blane123,

There are already a lot of replies this topic so I’m sure your question has been long answered. I also have not read ever respond so I’m only addressing your original question.

That said, yes you can wear a loose fitting baseball cap immediately after surgery. In fact, many clinics/physicians supply a loose fitting hat on the day of the procedure for you to wear to help you protect the grafts.  That said, I would personally stay away from fitted hats and anything that is snug against the scalp for about a week

Best wishes,

Oyeball

As the answers in this thread point out, I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference/comfort level/surgeon recommendations. 

Can you just casually throw a hat on after the procedure without damaging the grafts? Absolutely not.

However, is it possible to get a loose-fitting, snap back hat with a high brim and gently place it on your head in such a way that the hat makes absolutely no contact with grafts? YES. I wore a hat the day after the procedure, and I assure you, it wasn't a risky decision. In fact, it was actually the safest way for me to be outside walking my dog, going to the clinic for a followup, etc. because I needed to make sure I didn't have any sun exposure. 

It's also a valid point that ultimately, we give too much power to what other people think - and I agree that if you don't have access to the right kind of hat, then it's not worth the risk of damaging the grafts just to avoid any weird looks. 

No matter what you choose, just be mindful not to damage any of the grafts by letting them make direct contact with anything that could move them around. Although also keep in mind that after the first 72 hours, the chances of you dislodging them start to decrease quite considerably. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56