Hasson Wong vs Konior: which doctor to go with?

kevin2074

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

Hasson and Wong are an excellent choice. What is your hair loss on the Norwood scale?

I believe I am NW 2-3. Major problem is frontal hairline recession. Probably need 2000-3000 grafts.

How do you compare Hasson, Wong, and Konior?

Btw, Konior's waiting is almost one year long. Hasson/Wong is 1-3 months. It seems Konior is more popular?

There are tons of Hasson and Wong reviews on this forum. Just search their names.

If you're wanting a larger surgery, Hasson and Wong might be better.

The waiting list is smaller because they do up to 4 patients per day.

Edited by BurnieBurns

Hassan/Wong is 1-3 months now? I thought it was a year. I also saw Bisanga is only 4 months now. 

And I think Konior is 2 years out. 

Did the covid backlog finish through now or something? 

How many grafts? For large sessions I think hw is the best, but my preference would be for Konior. 

• Like 1

Konior. 

- It isn’t a tech working on you. 
- Only one patient per day.

-Uses less grafts for a similar aesthetic result. 
- He’s in the room with you from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. or longer and won’t go home early at 5 p.m. 
- He’s very accessible. He is always able to answer questions very promptly. 

- All of your interactions are with Konior himself and not a patient coordinator. 

Hasson and Wong are very good - one of the best in fact, but the above are things are assured with Konior. If you wanted to do a mega session, want to save some money (relative to Konior), or prefer H&W design-wise, I think there‘s compelling reason to go with Hasson/Wong. Can’t really go wrong, but as for me, if I’m paying over $15,000, I want maximum doctor involvement and to be the only focus for the day. 

• Like 2

Konior is at the top of his game. Great techs. Great artistry. Great skill. If it is a smallish procedure--2500 or less--he excels. If you want the best possible chance for a stellar outcome, i wouldn't think twice about Konior--and I speak from personal experience. I know H&W have enjoyed an excellent reputation over the years as a first class clinic. They do seem to be less hands-on of late---especially with FUE. Post some pictures, and tell us what the two clinics have suggested.

• Administrators

In the future, use the search function the little magnifying glass at the corner.

Hasson
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/search/?&q=Hasson&type=forums_topic&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

Konior 

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/search/?&q=Konior &type=forums_topic&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

Look at the results and talk to past patients. You could flip a coin and get an excellent result from either doctor.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Z-- said:

Konior. 

- It isn’t a tech working on you. 
- Only one patient per day.

-Uses less grafts for a similar aesthetic result. 
- He’s in the room with you from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. or longer and won’t go home early at 5 p.m. 
- He’s very accessible. He is always able to answer questions very promptly. 

- All of your interactions are with Konior himself and not a patient coordinator. 

Hasson and Wong are very good - one of the best in fact, but the above are things are assured with Konior. If you wanted to do a mega session, want to save some money (relative to Konior), or prefer H&W design-wise, I think there‘s compelling reason to go with Hasson/Wong. Can’t really go wrong, but as for me, if I’m paying over $15,000, I want maximum doctor involvement and to be the only focus for the day. 

Thank you folks. A few of you talked about "mega session". How many grafts is considered a mega session or large session?

1 minute ago, kevin2074 said:

Thank you folks. A few of you talked about "mega session". How many grafts is considered a mega session or large session?

The early definition in the 90s was around 2000 grafts or above.  These days people tend to mean 4000+.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

5 hours ago, FluffyPanda said:

Between those two, Konior. I know H&W has a good reputation around here, but I feel like I've seen a lot more posts recently about them overharvesting and using too many grafts whereas Konior seems a lot better at doing more with less.

Indeed, a little research will show that Konior is choice number 1 here, and it's rather obvious as well.

8 hours ago, FluffyPanda said:

Between those two, Konior. I know H&W has a good reputation around here, but I feel like I've seen a lot more posts recently about them overharvesting and using too many grafts whereas Konior seems a lot better at doing more with less.

I have not seen a single post of over harvesting by H&W. Overharvesting means the donor looks depleted and unnatural afterwards. H&W use a lot of grafts and like to dense pack but they also believe the safe donor zone is bigger than other surgeons. For example, there was a patient who got evaluated by Bisanga and told his donor only had 6000 grafts but Hasson told him 10,000. 

Implanting a lot of grafts in one procedure is a skill that most other surgeons can’t do, Konior defers to H&W as the best clinic for mega sessions. 

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Tiger2050 said:

I have not seen a single post of over harvesting by H&W. Overharvesting means the donor looks depleted and unnatural afterwards. H&W use a lot of grafts and like to dense pack but they also believe the safe donor zone is bigger than other surgeons. For example, there was a patient who got evaluated by Bisanga and told his donor only had 6000 grafts but Hasson told him 10,000. 

Implanting a lot of grafts in one procedure is a skill that most other surgeons can’t do, Konior defers to H&W as the best clinic for mega sessions. 

Perhaps overharvest was the wrong word choice. However, from a number of results I've seen posted here, I still stand by my opinion that they use an unnecessarily high graft count for some work, such as the linked example. Personally, I'd rather go to someone more focused with getting more coverage for fewer grafts, especially in case if another transplant is required down the line, rather than doing super densely packed work that uses a majority of the donor. To each their own, but that's my own opinion on the matter. I'm just a big believer in conserving as much donor as possible.

1 hour ago, FluffyPanda said:

Perhaps overharvest was the wrong word choice. However, from a number of results I've seen posted here, I still stand by my opinion that they use an unnecessarily high graft count for some work, such as the linked example. Personally, I'd rather go to someone more focused with getting more coverage for fewer grafts, especially in case if another transplant is required down the line, rather than doing super densely packed work that uses a majority of the donor. To each their own, but that's my own opinion on the matter. I'm just a big believer in conserving as much donor as possible.

Hard to say anything about the result you linked since it’s only a few weeks old but that person is a Norwood 4 and needs a lot of grafts. There are also a few Konior results on this forum with underwhelming results because not enough grafts were used. Konior can’t do 3500+ grafts in one surgery even if you need it because he does everything himself.

I don’t think there is an issue with poor growth at H&W. H&W just do a lot of grafts in one surgery as opposed to other surgeons who prefer to spread it between multiple sessions. The majority of clinics don’t have the training or staff do mega sessions like H&W. I am a Konior patient because I needed a small amount of grafts but if I was a Norwood 3 or worse who needed a lot of graft I would probably go to H&W. It all depends on your case.

Edited by Tiger2050

Konior, Hasson, and Wong are all extremely good and well documented. I would do a consult with each clinic and see what they'd recommend. I had a great experience with Dr. Konior, but I'm sure I'd be happy if I went with Dr. Hasson as well.

• Like 1