For a NW6 realistically how many grafts needed to look like you have a full head of hair?

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, bigtyivier2k2 said:

For a NW6 realistically how many grafts needed to look like you have a full head of hair? Also aside from Dr.Zarev in Bulgaria who has the best results doing FUE on NW6 ?

If you look at other NW 6 guys who had very good results after a couple of procedures, they end up getting between 10,000 and 12,000 grafts.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

This is not a complete question.  It is like asking "how many buckets does it take to fill up a bathtub"? How big is the bucket? How big is the bathtub? When is the bathtub considered "full" enough?

Grafts are follicular units.  They are not standardized.  Hair is different sizes, and has to cover up scalp that is different color. Heads are different sizes.

Person A might have thin 50 micron hair, and require 120 hairs per CM2 to appear dense enough, and have a bald area of 150cm, and average hair per graft of 3

Person B might have 80 micron hair, and require 70 hairs per CM2 to appear dense enough, and have a bald area of 120cm, and average hair per graft of 2.

Person A needs 6000 grafts.

Person B needs 4200 grafts.

Even this is oversimplifying things.  Person A might be happy with 6000 grafts, while maybe someone else thinks he looks too thin.  Drawing from personal experience, I was perfectly happy with a balding buzzcut for almost 20 years, and I had maybe 30-60 hairs per cm2 during this time.  Many people would not agree with how I felt about myself, but hey, it didn't matter.  I've also on the other hand see people who have a mop on their head freak out when they have a dime sized bald spot on their crown.  What I'm trying to say, is there are a lot of factors to calculate.

Edited by MisterBreakfast
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Full head of hair would require 12-15,000 grafts. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

You have to be realistic with a hair transplant. You will never retain the appearance of a non balding person or how you looked when you were 16. As other have stated the number of grafts can vary widely. Also are you on medication to improve the hair you have? The results I have seen vary from 6k grafts to 14K grafts depending on head size, etc. All the best.

• Like 1

NW6 cases are very varies between every paitent, some need 6000-7000+ grafts and some even need more than 10000 grafts, depends how large the recipient area is, what type hair, donor quality, how many triple grafts you have, in what age the paitent became NW6, realistic expectations, ect...

The one thing that in common between every NW6 paitents is the fact they at least need 2 procedures, procedure after procedure can be done after around 8-9 months.

At HDC clinic we have a large history of doing procedures for NW6 paitents both by our MDs Dr. Maras and Dr. Christina.

This is example for former NW6 paitent with strong thick hair donor that had 2 procedures by Dr. Christina, 1st procedure for frontal area was done on March 2019 with 3600 grafts, 2nd procedure November 2020 with 4500 grafts, the post final result video and photos were taken on November 2021.

• Like 3

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

illusion of full hair at least 12.500 grafts

legit fullhair at least 25.000 

Yes, I would say illusion ranges from 12,500-15,000 depending on hair characteristics. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I'm actually interested to see where these estimates are coming from.  I trust them because the folks around here have experience with transplants, but I'm a bit confused.

For example, if you got 15000 grafts and you had a 200cm2 (gigantic) spot that was 100% skin bald, that would give you 75 grafts per CM, which is probably more than most people have in their donors from birth.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MisterBreakfast said:

I'm actually interested to see where these estimates are coming from.  I trust them because the folks around here have experience with transplants, but I'm a bit confused.

For example, if you got 15000 grafts and you had a 200cm2 (gigantic) spot that was 100% skin bald, that would give you 75 grafts per CM, which is probably more than most people have in their donors from birth.

Agreed I'm confused too. Isn't 8000 considered well above average for donor grafts? So how are dudes at NW6 with average hair characteristics and say 8000 grafts in their donor getting what appears to be full illusion of density without using BHT? 

On 9/20/2022 at 6:53 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Full head of hair would require 12-15,000 grafts. 

At what density? Not exactly accurate here.

OP; a NW 6 scalp can be fully covered with 5000-7000 grafts usually. When we start talking about possible densities and trying to be as dense as physically possible; as close to teenage density as possible (which can never be reached); that’s when we start talking about these 8, 9, 10000+ graft cases. 

Edited by general-etwan

18 hours ago, HairRun said:

Eugenix is expensive? How much do they cost? 

I remember Hassan and Wong give discounts to number of grafts over 2k. 

Eugenix is somewhere in the middle in the entire globe of hair transplant costs for what they do. I paid around $9,000 for my procedure of 5300 grafts and a travel package inclusive of 4 nights at a 5 star hotel and all transportation. Also including all the medication and stuff they provide for you. So Eugenix isn’t Turkey cheap but they certainly aren’t what I would consider “expensive” either, and their different tiers of packages allow for customizable costs. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, general-etwan said:

OP; a NW 6 scalp can be fully covered with 5000-7000 grafts usually. When we start talking about possible densities and trying to be as dense as physically possible; as close to teenage density as possible (which can never be reached); that’s when we start talking about these 8, 9, 10000+ graft cases. 

45 grafts per cm2 the balding area of a NW6/7 can be 300-400 cm2. 45 grafts is an illusion of density not full density.

View my thread

22 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

45 grafts per cm2 the balding area of a NW6/7 can be 300-400 cm2. 45 grafts is an illusion of density not full density.

Right, correct, good clarification.

5 hours ago, general-etwan said:

norwood 6? really? or do you mean norwood 5?

image.jpeg.e8512b36c80241fca1c6e07203455d50.jpeg

7000 grafts on a norwood 6 guy, id say in those cases the hairline is dense but the more you get closer to the crown the less dense it gets and the crown almost always has the diffuse thinning balding look or is left completely bald, so in regard to the crown its not even an illusion of density anymore

and the dip behind the crown? there wont be any folicles left to cover it.  even in that famous irish guy who went to eugenix and has a terrific result they let the dip untouched and hoped he gained hair there with finasteride (which he did), if i remember correctly.

so to get full coverage at that norwoodstage id say you need at least 12000 grafts, depending hair characteristics etc of course. otherwise you need to make compromises, by letting the crown and the dip (more) bald or starting the hairline basically at the midscalp.

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-transplant/basics/graft-numbers/

If the question is “look like a NW 6 has a full head of hair” meaning visually look like he never had any hair loss, yes, of course, you’re talking 10,000+. Which was the OP question, yes. However “full coverage” with varying but sufficient density throughout, dependent on several factors including head shape, hair thickness, hair to skin color contrast, etc, full coverage requires somewhere in that 5000-8000 ish range. Subsequent procedures can add density, or the first procedure can be all frontal and subsequent procedures can do the crown. Different strategies. 

Edited by general-etwan

In my knowledge, 10-11k grafts will be good to provide an illusion of full headed but if one wants a densely packed hairs then 14-15k grafts might be needed. 

Higher Norwood's cases are no joke, one must chose a good surgeon. Yes, Dr. Zarev is a good option and I personally will recommend Eugenix without any doubt. 

13 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Eugenix is somewhere in the middle in the entire globe of hair transplant costs for what they do. I paid around $9,000 for my procedure of 5300 grafts and a travel package inclusive of 4 nights at a 5 star hotel and all transportation. Also including all the medication and stuff they provide for you. So Eugenix isn’t Turkey cheap but they certainly aren’t what I would consider “expensive” either, and their different tiers of packages allow for customizable costs. 

Who was your surgeon? Were they supervising or did they do the incisions? 

3 hours ago, HairRun said:

Who was your surgeon? Were they supervising or did they do the incisions? 

Dr. Priyadarshini Das. She did all the planning and made 100% of the slits and the senior techs did all extraction and implantation. I think Dr. Das may have done some hairline implantation. Not sure. She was standing there somewhere behind me with several other techs during that time and I was pretty out of it so honestly not sure about that part. 

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, HugoX said:

I needed just below 11k grafts to get good coverage from norwood 6. 

You’ve got god tier hair thickness though, a thin haired guy would probably need 15k to get your results.

• Like 1

View my thread

best to use the 40-30-20 rule. 

40 grafts per sq cm in the front, 30 mid scalp, 20 crown. 

Most realistic and logical scenario for a Norwood 6 with a 250 sq cm balding pattern using that strategy would require 7500 grafts.

If you have 6-7k scalp grafts, great. You could use beard for the remainder.