HT without Finasteride - worth a try or not?

Hi guys, I'm early 40s, white, frizzy blonde hair, about a Norwood 6 now. Been thinking about a hair transplant for a while but the only issue is I'm sensitive to fin in the libido department - just not worth the setbacks. I've tried changing the dosage and topical fin.

Is it still worth me looking into hair transplants or am I just setting myself for difficulties? I know it's a genetics game, but what would be my likely scenario if I were to go down that route? A couple of HTs for density and then another and beard and chest hair down the line? Am I likely to end up with an exposed crown if I can't take fin and would the donor hair eventually start to thin without it?

3 hours ago, Pinkyandthebrain said:

Hi guys, I'm early 40s, white, frizzy blonde hair, about a Norwood 6 now. Been thinking about a hair transplant for a while but the only issue is I'm sensitive to fin in the libido department - just not worth the setbacks. I've tried changing the dosage and topical fin.

Is it still worth me looking into hair transplants or am I just setting myself for difficulties? I know it's a genetics game, but what would be my likely scenario if I were to go down that route? A couple of HTs for density and then another and beard and chest hair down the line? Am I likely to end up with an exposed crown if I can't take fin and would the donor hair eventually start to thin without it?

I think it depends on a lot of different variables - most importantly how your donor is. It sounds like you already realize you will need multiple HT's to get a good result. 

I'm almost 34 planning to get my first HT in a few months and I'm not on Fin. NW3 V. I do seem to respond quite well to topical Minoxidil though which should help maintain the results for some time. 

Your last question I think is the most important one and I'm not sure anyone knows. The miniaturization of transplanted hairs is something of a mystery that doesn't get talked about much around here. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli
  • Like 1

Dunno why guys over norwood 5+ always still debating if they should take finasteride or not.. honestly, u missed that boat years ago ..  finasteride not gonna do much for u anymore .. it’s not going to raise hairs from the dead… might retain some of ur thinning hair ,,  but it ain’t worth it anymore when most ur hair is gone. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Dunno why guys over norwood 5+ always still debating if they should take finasteride or not.. honestly, u missed that boat years ago ..  finasteride not gonna do much for u anymore .. it’s not going to raise hairs from the dead… might retain some of ur thinning hair ,,  but it ain’t worth it anymore when most ur hair is gone. 

I guess it is about the donor hair then 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
16 hours ago, Legend007 said:

The aim of medication for Norwood 6/7 etc is to keep the donor solid. We are not trying to save hair on the top that has previously disappeared. But we are definitely trying to prevent miniaturization period. All the best. 

Edited by Gatsby
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Pinkyandthebrain,

First, love the name 🙂

Well this may not be the popular opinion, but I happen to be a firm believer that many men are candidates for hair transplant surgery without having to take finasteride.  No I haven’t seen photos of your scalp but given your age and the fact that you have already established hair loss pattern of a Norwood 6, you are very likely a candidate for surgical hair restoration without finasteride assuming you have the donor hair for it.

To explain further, finasteride is a helpful treatment and is typically recommended for men who are continuing to lose hair.  Those who have either stop losing hair or are at minimal risk for much further hair loss May not even benefit from taking finasteride. Then there are men who experience side effects from the medication and simply put, would rather not take it.  Now young men with minimal hair loss you are at high risk for losing more hair and are likely still losing it are typically not good candidates without taking medication. However, once an established hair loss pattern has developed, they may become candidates as long as their expectations are realistic and they work with a surgeon over the course of the long term.

If you are interested in a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal who can discuss your situation with you further and discuss your short and long-term hair restoration goals, feel free to send me a private message and I’ll be happy to speak with you further and set this up for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 9/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, Pinkyandthebrain said:

Buddy, Fin will be necessary i guess to stop the miniaturization after an hair transplant. There are new entries in the market but not as effective as fin. 

Consult good doctors for NW6&7. i have seen some good results with Eugenix, Wong, and Bisanga. Personally I did my surgery at Eugenix few years back.

Consult as much as you can and then decide to go for an HT, Rahal's advise is definitely a very good response. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

I tried HT without finasteride and paid the consequences. It's up to you 

@Ryan Daniel

Hope you don't mind me asking here but the forum won't let me PM you. I'd be really interested to hear your story. Like how old were you when you got the HT, how bald before it and after, and how long did it take to significantly recede without the fin? No worries though if you'd rather not go into it all. 

Edited by Pinkyandthebrain
To add name

11 minutes ago, Pinkyandthebrain said:

@Ryan Daniel

Hope you don't mind me asking here but the forum won't let me PM you. I'd be really interested to hear your story. Like how old were you when you got the HT, how bald before it and after, and how long did it take to significantly recede without the fin? No worries though if you'd rather not go into it all. 

I was 22 and I got a hair transplant to half my scalp because i lost my hairline at 19. My hair looked good and full for about 2-3 years. After that everything started to thin, and even the crown. If I was taking medication I would of kept my thickness and my crown, but now I ended up having to get another HT to cover my crown and add density to hairline and temples.. Im 28 now and realized how important prevention is. Fin really stops miniaturization 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

I was 22 and I got a hair transplant to half my scalp because i lost my hairline at 19. My hair looked good and full for about 2-3 years. After that everything started to thin, and even the crown. If I was taking medication I would of kept my thickness and my crown, but now I ended up having to get another HT to cover my crown and add density to hairline and temples.. Im 28 now and realized how important prevention is. Fin really stops miniaturization 

Were you on Minoxidil or nothing at all?

Just now, GoliGoliGoli said:

Were you on Minoxidil or nothing at all?

I tried Minoxidil before my hair transplant and it grow some baby hairs in the hairline actually. But I wanted an instant result. I was young and foolish. And I went to a Turkish hair mill.    I had to wait a few years before I got fixed by a good clinic to have a natural result

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 2:03 PM, Gatsby said:

The aim of medication for Norwood 6/7 etc is to keep the donor solid. We are not trying to save hair on the top that has previously disappeared. But we are definitely trying to prevent miniaturization period. All the best. 

On top of that may I add that not all Diffuse thinners in that pattern may have yet lost all their hair. 

This means that there is a good amount of density to preserve and help the Transplant succeed. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Pinkyandthebrain said:

@Melvin- Moderator Can you hook me up with PM function please mate?

You need to interact more in the community and build up your reputation and you will automatically get access. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.