>80% of results by 6 months prove me wrong

So far, every transplant I have seen has acheived >80% of final results/density by 6 months. Sure, length increases, follicles "soften", mature, whatever and give the illusion of "more", but after 6 months, improvements seem to only be marginal.

I will amend this statement: Crown grows slower, can't comment on crown growth maturity timeline.

Edited by jxlegend
  • Like 5

I had really early growth, and yeah, at 6 months, pretty much all my hairs grew.  BUT, the texture of my hair at 6 months sucked.  Felt like rigid chest hair or something.  At 12 months now, feels very smooth and natural.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check out my journey here:

• Administrators

You’re dead wrong. It’s not even close to 80% at 6 months.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Strong disagree! Me and my flatmate buzzed our hair in 2020 over the Covid lockdowns. It took my mate 3 months to achieve density and me 5 months. This is what makes hair restoration such a tricky business. everyone has different genetics. hair loss / growth is unpredictable. Some grow hair fast and lose it fast. others, such as myself, are glow growers. Search the forum -  you’ll find men who who look amazing at  6 months but then lose it all at 2 years for whatever reason (we all know the reason..) and others that look sketchY at 6 months but achieve density at 1 year, and hold it. This forum wouldn’t exist if hair loss / restoration was predictable and followed a uniform timeline. Best wishes and good luck. 

Edited by baldbandito
  • Like 2

kind of agree with you. and like the dude fue said (whos had a killer result) agreed, also agree with what you said, improvements are marginal maybe like filling in some areas but agree most of the bulk of growth will occur within first 6 months, maybe peak 7-8

I'm approaching the 6 month mark and I would say that I'm more around 60-70 % of what I expect, pretty late grower though (started after 3 month 1/2)

I think 8 months will be the 80-85% of the total result

• Like 1

I definitely don't think 6 months indicates 80% or more of results for people. I think that post by Melvin is pretty relevant and also there's a reason most doctors list 12-18 months. It's just that people feel like at 12 months, 90% or greater are probably achieved and done but nowhere close at 6 months to 80%.

4 hours ago, baldbandito said:

Strong disagree! Me and my flatmate buzzed our hair in 2020 over the Covid lockdowns. It took my mate 3 months to achieve density and me 5 months. This is what makes hair restoration such a tricky business. everyone has different genetics. hair loss / growth is unpredictable. Some grow hair fast and lose it fast. others, such as myself, are glow growers. Search the forum -  you’ll find men who who look amazing at  6 months but then lose it all at 2 years for whatever reason (we all know the reason..) and others that look sketchY at 6 months but achieve density at 1 year, and hold it. This forum wouldn’t exist if hair loss / restoration was predictable and followed a uniform timeline. Best wishes and good luck. 

What is the reason ?

I feel bad for patients who are clearly botched or failed at 6 months, who waste another 12 months agonizing and hoping against hope that things will change because they are told they need to wait 12-18 months for final results. 

In general, 6 months is a good barometer to take stock of things. 

Patients are potentially wasting months and months sitting on their hands waiting for results that may not never come. 

Meanwhile, someone who accepts their bad results at 6 months in can begin consults right away and by 10 months in can have a touch up or repair surgery. 

Obviously - not all hair will grow in by 6 months. But if you are botched or otherwise have a cr*p surgery, 6 months should be enough time to begin consults for a follow up. 

• Like 4

Case by case, some luckier than others, there have clearly been examples of both sides of the 6 month mark. Its irrelevant anyway, you should not gauge the success of any surgery at 6 months and shouldn't be planning for a second surgery if you haven't given it proper time. like many have said above, aside from potentially hair growth gains, the feel of the hair changes which plays a big part in the illusion of the transplant. I got early growth by about 5 months, however, my hair didn't natural wave/curl the way it needed to until after a year which affected what I was able to do with it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I feel bad for patients who are clearly botched or failed at 6 months, who waste another 12 months agonizing and hoping against hope that things will change because they are told they need to wait 12-18 months for final results. 

In general, 6 months is a good barometer to take stock of things. 

Patients are potentially wasting months and months sitting on their hands waiting for results that may not never come. 

Meanwhile, someone who accepts their bad results at 6 months in can begin consults right away and by 10 months in can have a touch up or repair surgery. 

Obviously - not all hair will grow in by 6 months. But if you are botched or otherwise have a cr*p surgery, 6 months should be enough time to begin consults for a follow up. 

We say a typical hair cycle can be around 3 months and that this is why we ask people to usually stay on medication for 12 months minimum to properly see and evaluate changes. So based on that, i do genuinely think its even more important to keep an eye on results up to 12 months but generally on balance, 6 months gives most a solid idea of how the results will possibly turn out. However, there's exceptions and i do think some can grow really early, some really late and most will be average and probably best to wait 9-12 months for results. If you go to get a touch up or repair at less than 12 months, i personally believe you run a risk of damaging hair follicles from the first surgery still maturing. 

The bottom line is, that hair transplants are a psychological mountain we all have to climb. Just need yo try focus on other things. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You’re dead wrong. It’s not even close to 80% at 6 months.

Looking at those pictures Melvin, I'd say it does prove the 6 month rule. The patient there didn't get the best result, and the main differences seem to be lighting, hairstyle and length.( Obviously there's some further growth and maturation.

I know you do this for a living, but personally I've probably looked now at maybe 500 results threads over the Internet, and have yet to see one look bad at month 6 and great at month.

I'm talking hairline here btw not crown.

• Like 2

Yep, was going to say the same, not much has actually changed except texture and length... and of course lighting.

... and I said 80% not 100%, he obviously grew a marginal amount more

Edited by jxlegend

• Administrators

I've seen probably close to a thousand reviews, and I have had 4 hair transplants, and its nowhere near 80%. Now, you have some that grow super early, and may have 80% by 6 months. But I would say the majority only have about 50% of growth. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

41 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I've seen probably close to a thousand reviews, and I have had 4 hair transplants, and its nowhere near 80%. Now, you have some that grow super early, and may have 80% by 6 months. But I would say the majority only have about 50% of growth. 

Even the post you cited has like 80-90% of the growth at 6 months!

image.png.a66156fa78fb460f3a2b3f9bc66d0390.png

vs

image.png.1e9e43cc9c3073c0dd5f41cebeabc1e6.png

They're virtually the same (or at least the 12 months doesn't improve more than 25% over month 6, which is what 100% vs 80% is)!

At least for hairline. Can't comment on crown growth timeline.

Edited by jxlegend
  • Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jxlegend said:

Even the post you cited has like 80-90% of the growth at 6 months!

image.png.a66156fa78fb460f3a2b3f9bc66d0390.png

vs

image.png.1e9e43cc9c3073c0dd5f41cebeabc1e6.png

They're virtually the same (or at least the 12 months doesn't improve more than 25% over month 6, which is what 100% vs 80% is)!

At least for hairline. Can't comment on crown growth timeline.

The lighting is different in these two pictures.

7 months which is more like 70% 
image.png

image.png

View my thread

If we're talking about transplanting to the hairline region of a virgin scalp, it does seem that 6 months is 85%+ of the final result.  Perhaps some of the change in hair caliber may be perceptible in person if one looks very closely, but it doesn't seem to show up all that much in photos.  Sure, added length to make the hair able to be styled and also uniformity of length with the rest of the scalp both make a noticeable difference, but as far as purely hair caliber improvement, it really does seem to be fairly marginal in most cases.  The lighting and wet/not wet of the case posted in here makes it impossible to know exactly how much improvement occurred from 6 months onward.  

Edited by John1991
  • Like 2

not sure about the %, but i'm usually with opinion of :

6 months, you can start to tell if the HT is successfull or not, but it's not definite in case of late growth (the difference in month 6 and 8 is quite massive in many cases).
8 months, usually here you have the bulk of the result ready, it's quite likely if there is minimal to no growth now, it's a failure. (if there are new sprouts, then that's a good sign that they just started growing)
12 months, the usual benchmark of waiting, most people agree at 12 months, is basically "end result".

not counting early or late grower, because these are the average. late grower isn't that common. i think early grower is somewhat common, where late growers are on the rarer side. there's hope you're just a late grower, but from what i see usually early grower tend to have decent result, while for late grower is a mixed bags of good and bad.

• Like 3