Hair Transplants and Future Costs?

Over the years costs for HT has gone up. Of course there will always unfortunately be hair mills who have low prices to attract people(hopefully overtime sites like this put those clinics to bay) but in this case with the top clinics(ones recommended on the forum) where do you see their prices per graft going up to in the next 20 years? Will they double or stay about the same? Will getting a 4K graft plus procedure cost the same as a brand new suburban or will it be reasonable? Honestly just curious on thoughts?

• Like 1

I think hair transplants from decent clinics will be unattainable for the normal man, and garbage clinics will do even more business than ever.

With the cost of living rising exponentially, I doubt I will have the expendable income needed to get another HT if necessary.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

They're going to have to come down a little bit, otherwise, fewer and fewer individuals will get them as inflation further erodes spending abilities. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

28 minutes ago, mavigo said:

They're going to have to come down a little bit, otherwise, fewer and fewer individuals will get them as inflation further erodes spending abilities. 

Oh to the contrary, in-fact the opposite as a result of rising costs and inflation the prices will go up as sourcing equipment and raw materials have gone up so much. Also clinics use up so much energy and  due to covid and Russia’s ongoing war in Ukraine, will continue to rise meaning they will have to raise prices  to keep strong profit margins . In fact the likes of Ferreira and bicer have raised they’re prices a lot. Now I’m not saying that’s due to the current economic outlook but there’s only one way prices are going and that’s up. 

Edited by sukh123
  • Like 2

This is an interesting topic. You would think that as technology and techniques gets better and more players enter the game this would have a deflationary effect on HT cost. But that gets confounded by things like inflation caused by rampant deficit spending and supply chain shortages. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

The costs have actually come down considerably. In the past, grafts cost $15 back when surgeons could only do 300 grafts at a time. Cost has also gone down due to hair mills. But, there will always be different markets. Executives with disposable income will choose the best regardless of cost. Middle class working class guys will seek more affordable options in countries like Colombia, Mexico, Turkey, India. 

Keep in mind, cost is relative to what you’re willing to spend. I paid $7 per graft years ago, on a 55k a year salary. By no means was I wealthy. I do think looking at surgery solely through the lens of cost is a sure way to get botched. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

43 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The costs have actually come down considerably. In the past, grafts cost $15 back when surgeons could only do 300 grafts at a time. Cost has also gone down due to hair mills. But, there will always be different markets. Executives with disposable income will choose the best regardless of cost. Middle class working class guys will seek more affordable options in countries like Colombia, Mexico, Turkey, India. 

Keep in mind, cost is relative to what you’re willing to spend. I paid $7 per graft years ago, on a 55k a year salary. By no means was I wealthy. I do think looking at surgery solely through the lens of cost is a sure way to get botched. 

That is true. That is why I am curious if the great clinics(Eugenix, Bisanaga, H&W, etc.) will raise their prices. I never look at price for my research but I’m not gonna lie if I said Konior being 15 a graft isn’t the main reason I did not even consider him. Of course quality surgeons should get every Penny they are worth. I’ve always though 5-10 is very reasonable. And when certain clinics incentivize higher number of grafts bringing down the cost that is awesome. It would just suck if in 20 years I would Norwood 6-7 and need some 5k grafts and every quality clinic is charging 15 a graft. This would make it a 75k procedure which of course I view hair and looks as worth certain price tags but that much I don’t know. That is why I was just curious if those top clinics would stay about the same or have a certain range they stay in. And If not would they all explode to 15+ a graft.

42 minutes ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

That is true. That is why I am curious if the great clinics(Eugenix, Bisanaga, H&W, etc.) will raise their prices. I never look at price for my research but I’m not gonna lie if I said Konior being 15 a graft isn’t the main reason I did not even consider him. Of course quality surgeons should get every Penny they are worth. I’ve always though 5-10 is very reasonable. And when certain clinics incentivize higher number of grafts bringing down the cost that is awesome. It would just suck if in 20 years I would Norwood 6-7 and need some 5k grafts and every quality clinic is charging 15 a graft. This would make it a 75k procedure which of course I view hair and looks as worth certain price tags but that much I don’t know. That is why I was just curious if those top clinics would stay about the same or have a certain range they stay in. And If not would they all explode to 15+ a graft.

No way will they be that much of increase, it will be gradual and say like most who charge per graft may charge an extra euro or euro and a half and that subtle change while may not seem a lot generates like a lot of extra money, say for instance you have a doctor who charges 3.5 euro for 3000k grafts that would be 10.5 k and then increases it by one euro to 4.5 the total is then 13.5k that’s nearly 3k extra in total from just one euro difference. Say they then have two patients a day that’s 6k extra a day and 42k a week. You then multiply by that by four and 12 and you got a difference from that small change to increasing your yearly revenue by nearly 2 million  a year lool which is mind bongling . Sorry for the maths lol but had to do it to make my point clear. I’m not sure about theyre costs but they must be making a very tidy profit, which is no wonder the top clinics like couto and etc can waive of patients and have over a year long waiting list 

Edited by sukh123
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

I can see there being more packages in the future. I see the good clinics bringing on more trainee doctors, and giving the patients the ability to choose a lower package with a trainee. I think it's better than going to a hair mill. I'm already seeing doctors like Dr. Bisanga and Dr. Mwamba training surgeons. I think most middle class people in advanced western countries can afford $5-8 per graft, especially if they just need the hairline. The issue is that people often shop for surgeons like they're shopping for objects. This is your head we're talking about here. You can't just undo it or take it back. There's no take backs after surgery. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Costs are a function of demand mostly (and to some extent macroeconomic/country-specific factors). Over the last decade, it’s become clear which clinics have survived the test of time and which have been relegated to mediocre or hair mill status. 

As a particular doctor’s reputation improves, so does their price otherwise they’d be overwhelmed with 5+ year waitlists, which doesn’t seem all that feasible. They either do too many surgeries alone and burn-out or outsource and risk quality drop. 

That said, there’s always going to be new doctors popping up who do great work but charge less until they build that reputation. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the more affordable Portuguese/Spainish doctors begin charging more, but by then, there might be some new great clinics in, say, Italy or Turkey (once you cut past the noise of bad clinics there).

the trend I think is that more established doctors are hiring junior doctors and the newer doctors charging less to make it manageable or entice additional patients. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Costs are a function of demand mostly (and to some extent macroeconomic/country-specific factors). Over the last decade, it’s become clear which clinics have survived the test of time and which have been relegated to mediocre or hair mill status. 

As a particular doctor’s reputation improves, so does their price otherwise they’d be overwhelmed with 5+ year waitlists, which doesn’t seem all that feasible. They either do too many surgeries alone and burn-out or outsource and risk quality drop. 

That said, there’s always going to be new doctors popping up who do great work but charge less until they build that reputation. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the more affordable Portuguese/Spainish doctors begin charging more, but by then, there might be some new great clinics in, say, Italy or Turkey (once you cut past the noise of bad clinics there).

the trend I think is that more established doctors are hiring junior doctors and the newer doctors charging less to make it manageable or entice additional patients. 

I agree, the biggest issue I see with the Spanish and Portuguese doctors is they're not following the supply/demand fundamental rule. That is why their wait list is astronomical. The only way to get a reasonable wait time is to increase the cost. If the demand exceeds the supply you have to increase the price. It benefits no one keeping the cost the same but closing wait lists and turning patients away. 

• Like 1

View my thread

30 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I can see there being more packages in the future. I see the good clinics bringing on more trainee doctors, and giving the patients the ability to choose a lower package with a trainee. I think it's better than going to a hair mill. I'm already seeing doctors like Dr. Bisanga and Dr. Mwamba training surgeons. I think most middle class people in advanced western countries can afford $5-8 per graft, especially if they just need the hairline. The issue is that people often shop for surgeons like they're shopping for objects. This is your head we're talking about here. You can't just undo it or take it back. There's no take backs after surgery. 

That is very true. I forget that many of the world renown surgeons are getting up there in age so they are passing on their talents to the next future of great hair docs. This is really cool to see. Yes I agree. Hairline 5-8 is 100% reasonable and I think good clinics deserve that. It’s when you get into mid frontal and crown work where it is 3k+ grafts that above 10-12 I’d say for most is pretty pricey. It will be interesting to see how many doctors go past that with time.

30 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Very true. I was not active on this site 6-7+ years ago but im sure to people who were you’ve noticed a change in recommended surgeons. With time in let’s say 10-20 years the list will probably look a lot different. So ideally 5-10 may always hopefully atleast be the benchmark price for the new up and comers

Desperate for hair or not, the common man (myself included) simply cannot afford to pay $8,000-10,000 per surgery overseas at these 3, some now 3.5 euro per graft clinics, not to mention the cost of the trip (flights, hotels, ubers, etc).

Of course I am talking about good clinics here and not hair mills. Dr. Bruno Ferreira as an example is now 3.5 euro per graft. A 3,000 graft surgery would be a whopping $10,500. That just feels like too much imho.

2 minutes ago, ML488 said:

Desperate for hair or not, the common man (myself included) simply cannot afford to pay $8,000-10,000 per surgery overseas at these 3, some now 3.5 euro per graft clinics, not to mention the cost of the trip (flights, hotels, ubers, etc).

Of course I am talking about good clinics here and not hair mills. Dr. Bruno Ferreira as an example is now 3.5 euro per graft. A 3,000 graft surgery would be a whopping $10,500. That just feels like too much imho.

Hi I completely understand you and tbh that is the case with a lot of people, a few on this forum always spout the " Never let finance dictate your choice of the clinic" as if everyone has 15k to just throw. Most people don't have that spare cash and have mortgages, bills, and all sorts to pay. And now with inflation and fuel so high it's even more difficult for people. I'm lucky without sounding arrogant as I am in a strong financial position so I don't have to think about the cost as long as I'm getting the quality. The fact remains for most people to afford a clinic that charges 3.5 euro per graft and more is simply not feasible. 

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, ML488 said:

I paid that for my first surgery and was only making 50k a year. I got it on finance interest free for two years and paid it off. It was only like $400 a month. 

There’s a difference between “can’t” and “wont.” Most people can pay that, they just don’t want too.  If you’re not willing to invest in yourself, which is the gift that keeps on giving, do nothing. Shaving is free and a better option for most. 

The fact is that most people are only willing to do something about it if it costs a certain number, which is usually “hair mill” territory. Given that all HTs are a gamble, you want the odds in your favor. It’s funny most people would never say 10,500 is too much for a car, that depreciates as soon as you drive off the lot. But it’s too much to invest in themselves. Again, doing nothing is never a bad thing. 

• Like 2

View my thread

@Melvin- ModeratorWell I'm a bit confused. If we are talking about a loan to pay for a hair transplant then that would be much different. Is that what you did? I can't say I know of any banks who would loan me 10 grand for a cosmetic surgery interest free. By no means are all of us unwilling to invest in oursleves for the better good. But parting with 10k on the spot is very difficult for most. The majority of people don't have tens of thousands in their bank account. That's just reality. The majority also wouldn't ever cut a check for $10,500 for a car imo. Most lease, or put down a few grand and make monthly payments. 

Nomorenorwood,

that’s a very difficult question to answer for many reasons. Obviously, overtime The overall cost-of-living increases. As a result, costs increased. While our clinic does our best to keep prices from going up as much as possible, sometimes we have no choice but to raise cost a little to keep up with the cost of living. Keep in mind, that a hair transplant clinic costs a lot to keep running. It’s not just the Doctor Who gets paid but all staff members who work for the clinic. Then there’s the building, the electric, overhead costs, supplies, everything that goes along with it.   As all of those costs continue to rise, it sometimes becomes necessary to raise the cost of a hair transplant.

that said, I think it would be rather difficult to give you an idea of how much a hair transplant will cost in 20 years.  After all, in addition to the ongoing increases in living expenses, the hair restoration profession as a whole continues to evolve on a regular basis. Therefore, it would be just about a possible to say what will be happening in 20 years.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, ML488 said:

@Melvin- ModeratorWell I'm a bit confused. If we are talking about a loan to pay for a hair transplant then that would be much different. Is that what you did? I can't say I know of any banks who would loan me 10 grand for a cosmetic surgery interest free. By no means are all of us unwilling to invest in oursleves for the better good. But parting with 10k on the spot is very difficult for most. The majority of people don't have tens of thousands in their bank account. That's just reality. The majority also wouldn't ever cut a check for $10,500 for a car imo. Most lease, or put down a few grand and make monthly payments. 

Almost every clinic I know offers a financing option. Care credit is the most popular. There’s also credit cards. I have good credit, thankfully, I was approved. I applied for a 10k 12-month interest free credit card and paid for my second procedure. I only put 3k down. These options are available to everyone. Very few people pay 10k all at once or cash. 

• Like 1

View my thread

I took a loan for the first HT as I didn't want to use cash savings.  5 year fixed rate with a repayment equivalent to about $250pm.  Not sure what the rate was - maybe 5.19%.  Most UK banks don't need proof of what you're spending the money on, although if there was a box on the application form I may have put 'car loan'. 

I didn't bother with loans for the other procedures.

Costs are unlikely to go down unless everyone is forced back into the office and abandon working from home.  The whole WfH thing made the process of getting a HT far more appealing, exponentially increasing the demand.

I don't see the spansih surgeons raising their fees that much either.  If they charge too much they won't be able to produce so many 6000 graft + transformations because they will become unaffordable to most (even if over 3 or 4 surgeries).  Not many would pay circa EUR60,000.  EUR30,000 maybe, but EUR60,000 less so.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ML488 said:

@Melvin- ModeratorWell I'm a bit confused. If we are talking about a loan to pay for a hair transplant then that would be much different. Is that what you did? I can't say I know of any banks who would loan me 10 grand for a cosmetic surgery interest free.

What I did was apply for a credit card with no interest on transfers for a year. It did have a 2% fee on the amount transferred, but I got around that by putting the hair transplant on another card that gives me 1% cash back rewards. So for example (not the actual amounts) I could put $10k for the hair transplant on my card with 1% cash back ($100 back) and when that first months bill was due a month later I paid $5k on that ( I did have some money saved for the HT) and transferred the other $5k to the no interest card and paid $100 for the 2% fee which was the same $100 I got cash back from the first card. Then I had a year to pay off the $5k I still owed. So in the end I paid $5k up front and had 1 year to pay the other $5k without paying any extra money.

That is not the actual amounts I paid, but that is a rough example of how I paid for several hair transplants. The bank continued to give me "No Interest for one year" offers on that credit card every year, so I was able to do the same thing for several hair transplants.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, 1978matt said:

I took a loan for the first HT as I didn't want to use cash savings.  5 year fixed rate with a repayment equivalent to about $250pm.  Not sure what the rate was - maybe 5.19%.  Most UK banks don't need proof of what you're spending the money on, although if there was a box on the application form I may have put 'car loan'. 

I didn't bother with loans for the other procedures.

Costs are unlikely to go down unless everyone is forced back into the office and abandon working from home.  The whole WfH thing made the process of getting a HT far more appealing, exponentially increasing the demand.

I don't see the spansih surgeons raising their fees that much either.  If they charge too much they won't be able to produce so many 6000 graft + transformations because they will become unaffordable to most (even if over 3 or 4 surgeries).  Not many would pay circa EUR60,000.  EUR30,000 maybe, but EUR60,000 less so.

I disagree with the last portion. The Spanish surgeons appeal to a broader market, because they’re relatively low in cost under €3 per graft. If they were to raise their cost to €5 they’d be on par with the other top surgeons in Belgium. They’re wait list would go from 3-4 years to 6 months. Many would have to save up, or go to Turkey, Asia or South America. 

There’s no point in keeping costs that low when you have to stop accepting new consults and patients. It’s actually detrimental to your business and the patients who want to go to you and could afford it.

The waiting lists are astronomical, to get a consult it’s over a year. That’s not good and helps no one. Demand goes up, so does cost, that’s how the free market works.  I’m sure it sucks for those who get priced out, but it’s better for everyone in the long run. 

View my thread