Dr Mwamba June 2022 - Asli Tarcan botch job repair

RTC

On 8/16/2023 at 6:12 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

I do think it is time for a review of Mwamba's place on the recommended list

1) hypothetically if Mwamba was not already on the recommended list and he was up for a 1st evaluation, i doubt he  would be placed on the list

There are multiple cases on here that should have been really straightforward, where Mwamba has failed with growth

2) there are very concerning ethical issues regarding the rebate. This is not simply a communication issue or human error. The clinic intentionally and purposefully puts effort into denying the rebate. 

I just want to reiterate that I am a former Mwamba patient and stand with @RTC and corroborate his rebate issues, as I have literally experienced the same

The clinic has shown they are willing to destroy patient relationships over a few thousand dollars, or even just a few hundred dollars depending in surgery cost. 

In @RTC case correct me if im wrong but his rebate is less than $1k. 

This is chump change for the clinic, but they are still willing to burn the bridge...

One does have to wonder if this unethical behavior seeps into the surgery room

Agreed. Doctors should be re-evaluated on an annual basis.

Edited by Z--
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 3:11 PM, RTC said:

So sadly, it is now 100% for me that I will not be returning to Dr Mwamba. I have to say, their customer service is awful and is part of the reason I will not be going back. Yes, Dr Mwamba is a nice man and does some good work, and this is not a personal attack on him, but I have been left with a very sour taste in my mouth at the way the clinic operates.

1) I had a significant lack of growth on top. Yes, I am a repair patient. Yes, there may be issues due to the previous transplant. I don't know. I did not really receive an answer as to why the top failed. But over 1000 grafts failed to grow, which for someone with a decimated donor, is a big, big loss. Those 1000 grafts could have solved my problems if even 70% of them grew. 

My main issue here is that I was not offered a free or significantly discounted touch up. At all. To be fair, I did not ask for a free touch up. But I did ask for a discounted touch up, but the best I got was an offer to remove 100 grafts (and to implant 100-150 fresh ones from the dark band at the bottom of my donor) for 4000 euros.

Far too expensive for such a small amount of work imo, ESPECIALLY considering I am a former patient who had spent just under 10k a year prior.

Not to mention that I have referred many people to Dr Mwamba, some who have gone to see him in Brussels and even written 'RTC' as the person who referred them on the form that was filled out at the consultation.

2) I was initially told that if you sent photos at 1 month, 3 months, 9 months, and 12 months I would receive a 10% rebate (15% if face showing). I stuck to this and sent in my photos at the year mark.

After several ignored emails and prompts, I was told they'd process it within 20 days. Nobody asked for my bank details or anything. It's now been more than a month since the 1 year mark of my procedure and my last few emails have been ignored as usual.

Why offer such a thing if you are not able to provide it? Just don't offer it in the first place then. I had a feeling in the back of my head that would be the case anyway.

That rebate, which I doubt I will ever get, would have been useful in my next step of the repair journey.

Overall, I am very disappointed, and it seems it's not just me. I will seek a different doctor for the next step of the journey, and have and will be consulting with a couple of a different doctors.

14 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Let me reach out to Dr. Mwamba, he’s been very ethical. I do expect him to stand by his work. 

Thanks! I didn't want to moan on this thread and wanted to send someone a private message, but i'm not able to as iv'e not got enough points? :/ 

As a Mwamba patient it really saddens me to read all of this.

While Dr Mwamba is a highly ethical doctor (and a great person) the clinic obviously needs to hire someone and restructure their customer service. I had great results with him but also struggle to receive a response.

Anyone can have a bad result but a poor result + no communication is a recipe for disaster.

Having been there multiple times I know how late Dr Mwamba finishes surgery and how early he starts next day , non stop. He does not have time to eat sometimes much less to check his emails. They need to get a competent customer service rep and assistant to look after patients to say the least as most clinics do. 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:40 PM, hairywannabe said:

Well, I really hoped that Mwamba could be the best doctor for my repair surgery but after so many testimonials of negative experiences from patients who trusted Mwamba (and praised him at the beggining) it just seems like playing Russian roulette. Considering mixed results, problems with achieving a proper density, lack of free touch ups offers when a growth percentage is subpar and a poor communication, it's too much in my opinion.

I feel like an opinion about Mwamba being one of the best doctors appeard way too quickly on the Internet considering that not many cases were documented by his patients. Then this opinion was repeated again and again, until it was checked in real life by more patients and now it seems not really acurrate.

I completely disagree with this.

Mwamba’s practice has been around for almost 20 years now and nobody, and I really mean nobody would take my case to repair my donor but Mwamba.

Thanks to his skills as a surgeon I know have a normal looking donor after being botched twice with over harvesting.

My advice to Mwamba at this point would be to stop taking repair cases and just stick to healthy heads were his work can shine like on capitancalico. Repair patients are way too difficult to predict growth and it then comes back to bite him if it doesn’t grow well when it most likely has nothing to do with his protocols.

My second advice would be to hire a competent patient coordinator for his customer service they proactively reaches out to patients. 

The rebates things are always honored but just like their customer service it’s a pain to get someone to respond, they eventually do. They really need to address this urgently.

1 hour ago, mustang said:

Mwamba’s practice has been around for almost 20 years now and nobody, and I really mean nobody would take my case to repair my donor but Mwamba.

Thanks to his skills as a surgeon I know have a normal looking donor after being botched twice with over harvesting.

My advice to Mwamba at this point would be to stop taking repair cases and just stick to healthy heads were his work can shine like on capitancalico. Repair patients are way too difficult to predict growth and it then comes back to bite him if it doesn’t grow well when it most likely has nothing to do with his protocols.

My second advice would be to hire a competent patient coordinator for his customer service they proactively reaches out to patients. 

The rebates things are always honored but just like their customer service it’s a pain to get someone to respond, they eventually do. They really need to address this urgently.

Rightly or wrongly reputations built up over decades can be severely impacted by just a handful of cases . Mwamba urgently needs to review his comms team.

No surgery can be a guaranteed success….but follow up actions when things don’t go to plan go a long way to dictating perception of a clinic.

I actually wonder how aware Dr Mwamba is? I’m pretty certain an ethical Dr like him with many years of experience wouldn't willing allow radio silence to happen?

Edited by ScottishGuy21
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Rightly or wrongly reputations built up over decades can be severely impacted by just a handful of cases . Mwamba urgently needs to review his comms team.

No surgery can be a guaranteed success….but follow up actions when things don’t go to plan go a long way to dictating perception of a clinic.

I actually wonder how aware Dr Mwamba is? I’m pretty certain an ethical Dr like him with many years of experience behind him wouldn't willing allow radio silence to happen?

I honestly think it doesn’t know until things blow out of proportion and it’s too late to offer a solution to patients. 

They need to set a new protocol in place for follow ups. I will be reaching out to Dr Mwamba about this. He is a an open minded guy and I am sure measures will be taken to stop this from happening again. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mustang said:

They need to get a competent customer service rep and assistant to look after patients to say the least as most clinics do. 

@mustang Dr. Mwamba and Clara are solely responsible for the rebates. No one else.

It sounds like you are trying to shift blame to Justine the customer service rep, who has no control over the rebate.

Accountability starts at the top....

Dr. Mwamba and Clara should take ownership and responsibility of this issue they alone created. 

Throwing their innocent employee under the bus would likely make this issue messier than it already is. 

The solution is simple - the clinic needs to honor the rebates they promised patients. Anything else is filibustering and avoiding the issue. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

@mustang Dr. Mwamba and Clara are solely responsible for the rebates. No one else.

It sounds like you are trying to shift blame to Justine the customer service rep, who has no control over the rebate.

Accountability starts at the top....

Dr. Mwamba and Clara should take ownership and responsibility of this issue they alone created. 

Throwing their innocent employee under the bus would likely make this issue messier than it already is. 

The solution is simple - the clinic needs to honor the rebates they promised patients. Anything else is filibustering and avoiding the issue. 

It sounds like nothing. I am no one to blame x or y. It's obvious that the owners are always the responsible ones for financial matters. What I am saying is communication is horrible and emails should be replied too which has not been the case and this is also the responsibility of the patient coordinator or whoever is in charge of responding to patients.

6 hours ago, mustang said:

Well, there are first procedure cases which didn't go well too:
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/65602-dr-mwambas-fue-2200-grafts-work-7-months-review/
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/66589-1935-graft-fue-hair-transplant-nw2-dr-mwamba-brussels/page/8/

and there are simple touch ups which didn't go well:
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/67566-repair-procedure-7-months-can-i-expect-much-more/

and there are repair cases from @Ajamilo@HappyMan2021@RTC  who have their complains about their density and growth percentage.

In comparison, there is simillar (or smaller) amonut of success stories from independent reviewers. This ratio of successes and failures is just worse than in other recommended clinics and that's a fact. Maybe Dr Mwamba indeed have too much work, in addition working in the night must make him and technicans tired (and then people make mistakes easier) and long time with grafts outside of a body doesn't help too. Of course we can argue that this style of working doesn't make a difference - but again, the ratio of successes and failures speaks volumes.

Edited by hairywannabe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hairywannabe said:

Well, there are first procedure cases which didn't go well too:
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/65602-dr-mwambas-fue-2200-grafts-work-7-months-review/
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/66589-1935-graft-fue-hair-transplant-nw2-dr-mwamba-brussels/page/8/

and there are simple touch ups which didn't go well:
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/67566-repair-procedure-7-months-can-i-expect-much-more/

and there are repair cases from @Ajamilo@HappyMan2021@RTC  who have their complains about their density and growth percentage.

In comparison, there is simillar (or smaller) amonut of success stories from independent reviewers. This ratio of successes and failures is just worse than in other recommended clinics and that's a fact. Maybe Dr Mwamba indeed have too much work, in addition working in the night must make him and technicans tired (and then people make mistakes easier) and long time with grafts outside of a body doesn't help too. Of course we can argue that this style of working doesn't make a difference - but again, the ratio of successes and failures speaks volumes.

I don't question that and I am not here to defend Mwamba just because I had a good result. I agree with what you say but you also have to think that he does almost four hundred cases a year and the good ones will rarely post a review. People just move on. 

Hopefully we will see more positive cases soon for the sake of the clinic on this forum. It's a shame that three people are not satisfied, hopefully a solution will be offered to them.

47 minutes ago, mustang said:

I don't question that and I am not here to defend Mwamba just because I had a good result. I agree with what you say but you also have to think that he does almost four hundred cases a year and the good ones will rarely post a review. People just move on. 

Hopefully we will see more positive cases soon for the sake of the clinic on this forum. It's a shame that three people are not satisfied, hopefully a solution will be offered to them.

Sure, I am not here to attack anybody either, it's just a matter of stating the truth and hoping that something can improve. Unfortunately there are more than "three people" that are not satisfied and I even mentioned those cases in the previous post. It's true that hair transplant clinics perform a lot of procedures per year but it refers to most of the clinics and most of reccomended clinics don't seem to have so many negative feedbacks in such a short time.

Edited by hairywannabe

I'm surprised that Dr Mwamba has not posted on your thread yet.

I've noticed on other patients threads, specifically Dillpickle123 and Ajamilo, that he will provide comments that do provide more context on what he is thinking and what he can do for you. Its a shame and also quite questionable that he has not done that here especially after accusations of broken promises, poor growth and overall shady practices.

The silence is not helping his and the clinics image.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• Administrators

I spoke to Dr. Mwamba last night. I thought he was going to respond, but I think he’s trying to post a response to multiple key issues that may take some time to write. 

Here’s my understanding, there was an error in the updating of RTC’s patient profile. They do offer this discount/ rebate as many other clinics do, he will honor it and was very apologetic. It looks like he’s recognized some chinks in the chain of command at his clinic. 

I have made a commitment to the members of this community. Any member that sends him an email can cc me at service@hairtransplantnetwork.com. I will ensure there is a timely response. Dr. Mwamba is a deeply caring and ethical surgeon. He’s assured me that this will be handled moving forward. But in the spirit of taking care of our community I’ve offered to help out. I want to make sure there are no gaps in communication.

This will be temporary, until the process is streamlined. I appreciate the communities input, while I can understand the frustration and anxiety. There can be a mob mentality at times that go to extremes where the situation doesn’t call for it. Communication is the best path forward in any conflict resolution. Hair transplants are difficult, and the difficulty is compounded on a repair. Let’s allow the clinic the opportunity to resolve any issues or concerns. 

Onwards and upwards, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I really did not want this to become a public spat or exchange with Dr Mwamba or the clinic. Although I guess it's fair game seeing as I posted it here.

I have tried to stay very balanced in my appraisal of the work.

My main grief was in the follow up as I've stated many times. The top growth was poorer than I expected, but the rest was pretty good, particular my donor and temple growth.

If the follow up was handled better none of this would have been as big an issue as it has become. My main gripe is the rebate and also what I felt was far too expensive a follow up offer (considering the poor growth on top).

Yes I spoke to Dr Mwamba in person, but after I went away and compared to what other clinics quoted, it was way too much.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@RTC

I have read everything and i would say you have been pretty much balanced..you habe shown a great maturity and maintained the decorum which is tough in this situation...i feel sorry for evrythng you have been going through since so long and i wish you can fix the issues soon....

On 8/20/2023 at 12:07 AM, Z-- said:

Doctors should be re-evaluated on an annual basis.

1000% agree to this....this will keep evrythn in check....

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

39 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

@RTC

I have read everything and i would say you have been pretty much balanced..you habe shown a great maturity and maintained the decorum which is tough in this situation...i feel sorry for evrythng you have been going through since so long and i wish you can fix the issues soon....

1000% agree to this....this will keep evrythn in check....

Thank you sir

• Administrators
4 hours ago, RTC said:

I really did not want this to become a public spat or exchange with Dr Mwamba or the clinic. Although I guess it's fair game seeing as I posted it here.

I have tried to stay very balanced in my appraisal of the work.

My main grief was in the follow up as I've stated many times. The top growth was poorer than I expected, but the rest was pretty good, particular my donor and temple growth.

If the follow up was handled better none of this would have been as big an issue as it has become. My main gripe is the rebate and also what I felt was far too expensive a follow up offer (considering the poor growth on top).

Yes I spoke to Dr Mwamba in person, but after I went away and compared to what other clinics quoted, it was way too much.

You have been very fair and balanced. I think you raised some valid concerns. I want you to know that you are validated in your concerns. If you had this agreement of a rebate, then you should receive it. I value you, and you're a great member of our community. I believe that there was a communication breakdown (not your fault). Hopefully, moving forward, I can assist in bridging this gap until a system is put in place. You've done nothing wrong I want you to know that. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You have been very fair and balanced. I think you raised some valid concerns. I want you to know that you are validated in your concerns. If you had this agreement of a rebate, then you should receive it. I value you, and you're a great member of our community. I believe that there was a communication breakdown (not your fault). Hopefully, moving forward, I can assist in bridging this gap until a system is put in place. You've done nothing wrong I want you to know that. 

For transparency, could you confirm if you’ll be getting paid extra by the clinic for helping them with this @Melvin- Moderator?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, FITA said:

For transparency, could you confirm if you’ll be getting paid extra by the clinic for helping them with this @Melvin- Moderator?

I have never and will never accept any compensation from any clinic. That is a conflict of interest. I’m not doing this to help the clinic. I’m doing this to help our members get quicker communication. 

I’ve removed your incendiary post. It’s a flat out lie. You’re free to critique me and my moderation. But you’re not allowed to spread lies. 

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I have never and will never accept any compensation from any clinic. That is a conflict of interest. I’m not doing this to help the clinic. I’m doing this to help our members get quicker communication. 

I’ve removed your incendiary post. It’s a flat out lie. You’re free to critique me and my moderation. But you’re not allowed to spread lies. 

Clinics don’t pay to advertise on here? I’m sure you admitted that on another thread…

Dr. Couto literally told me that you approached him but he rejected as he doesn’t need the extra marketing so didn’t want to pay. And you seemed to deliberately spell his name wrong in response. None of that’s true?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, FITA said:

Clinics don’t pay to advertise on here? I’m sure you admitted that on another thread…

Dr. Couto literally told me that you approached him but he rejected as he doesn’t need the extra marketing so didn’t want to pay. And you seemed to deliberately spell his name wrong in response. None of that’s true?

Recommended clinics pay a monthly sponsorship fee. I’m not paid directly by any clinic. I work for the forum, not the clinics. 

Your claims that I’m being paid additional compensation by the clinic is false. I have not and will not receive any compensation for doing this service for our members. My duty is to the community and to ensure that our recommendations are standing by them and their work.

We’ve been very transparent about our process, it’s on our list of recommendations and it’s on our pinned post in this sub. It’s bolded that we receive monthly sponsorship fees to support the cost of running this community.

IMG_8645.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg
IMG_8643.jpeg

Yes I did approach Dr. Couto for a potential recommendation. He wasn’t interested at the moment, but agreed to do a podcast. I have spelled his name wrong by mistake. That has nothing to do with him not joining, he’s an excellent surgeon with incredible results I’ve always said that and reply on all of his patients posts. That’s why I’d like to highlight his work on a podcast. 

In closing, you’re free to think whatever you like. If you think accepting sponsorships to promote top-notch doctors is bad, well, what can I say that’s your opinion and your entitled to it. But I draw the line at false accusations. If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to create a separate thread. This thread is about RTC and his journey. 

Onwards and upwards,

• Like 2

View my thread

So Dr Mwamba's clinic reached out to me today and have issued the rebate and also a free touch up. I had a good chat with them about what my concerns were and Dr Mwamba is trying his best to fix things.

I'm glad this is finally sorted, and to be honest I never wanted it to get this. I've also spoken to them about the lack of organisation from the clinic and it seems they have taken this on board for the future, mentioning some steps they will take to avoid stuff happening like this in the future. 

• Like 11
  • Well Done 1

1 minute ago, RTC said:

So Dr Mwamba's clinic reached out to me today and have issued the rebate and also a free touch up. I had a good chat with them about what my concerns were and Dr Mwamba is trying his best to fix things.

I'm glad this is finally sorted, and to be honest I never wanted it to get this. I've also spoken to them about the lack of organisation from the clinic and it seems they have taken this on board for the future, mentioning some steps they will take to avoid stuff happening like this in the future. 

Good to hear, I’m pleased they finally are looking to fix some of the issues we have seen recently. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’m glad it’s sorted. I look forward to your next journey 🙏

• Like 2

View my thread