Dr Mwamba June 2022 - Asli Tarcan botch job repair

RTC

2 hours ago, hairywannabe said:

Maybe Dr Mwamba should be notified about the issues so he can address them somehow. Maybe he can talk with his team about the poor communication and not keeping promises. Regarding cases with a poor growth, perhaps it's about optimizing clinic's workflow and reducing the time when grafts are outside of a body. @Melvin- Moderator, could you talk with Dr Mwamba about it?

@hairywannabe, unless @RTC specifically requests @Melvin- Moderator contact Dr. Mwamba, I think it would be inappropriate for Melvin to do that without RTC's permission

People should have the freedom to post criticisms of their doctor without the doctor being notified. It will create a chilling effect on posts if people think anytime they raise an issue about a doctor, that doctor is going to be notified without the patients consent

Additionally, please keep in mind that patients may have continuing, long-lasting relationships with a surgeon even though they may publicly have a critical review of that doctor

An honest yet critical review of a doctor doesn't inherently mean the doctor-patient relationship is over, and certainly doesn't mean the patient wants to completely burn the bridge

Lastly, Dr. Mwamba is undoubtedly already aware of these issues. All of the patients who have recently had issues with Dr. Mwamba have mentioned they have been in contact with the clinic about them

I assume RTC's intent with a critical review is to better educate and inform the patient community. It is content meant for the patient community. It's not meant as a direct message to a surgeon's inbox.

If RTC wanted to communicate directly with Dr. Mwamba, he would do so. 

None of this should involve @Melvin- Moderator unless RTC explicitly says that he would want Melvin to reach out

• Like 2

I think I would agree with HappyMan.

I have sent several emails about the rebate and have also sent emails about the price and received no reply anyway. So my time to talk with the clinic and discuss with them is over.

I have been very fair in my assessment and have never said Dr Mwamba is a bad surgeon or he botched me or anything like that. But I feel I have to report the truth on here for other members, so that's good and bad.

So to summarise, I'm not really interested in a public rebuttal from Dr Mwamba's clinic via Melvin 

Edited by RTC
  • Like 4

Well, I understand everything you wrote and I agree, however it's not exactly what I meant. Dr Mwamba is the recommended surgeon on this forum and it's not only about @RTC critical review but about that there are more and more worrying reports from many people. Thats why I think it's the topic that should be concerning to the whole forum community because the forum recommendation might be misleading for newcomers.

Edited by hairywannabe
  • Like 1

It doesn't set a good precedent that Mwamba will only respond to patient complaints when Melvin reaches out. If Mwamba actually cared, he and his clinic would have honored RTC / HappyMan's rebates when requested by them.

If he's done that to multiple members here, one can only wonder what he's also doing to non-members (who don't have the benefit of Melvin or someone else advocate for them). It's sad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sad to see this I’ve been very busy lately with life so haven’t been on the forum in a couple months but I’m sad to say my result has not been what I expected either I gave up in the progress photos after getting no replies on them my density is just not what I was told it was gonna be and if from what I’m reading is correct there will not be any free or highly discounted touch up in a few years I’ll probably finish up the journey with couto or Cooley 

• Sad 4

On 7/21/2023 at 1:49 AM, RTC said:

My donor looks way way better. I feel this is more from the homogenisation rather than beard grafts though. There is only one more area I'm concerned with in the donor now really, the bottom right side.

I made a video summarising my thoughts if you are interesting.

What is the start of the video hahaha, I thought I was watching an ad for some racy app.

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2023 at 3:35 AM, Dillpickle123 said:

Sad to see this I’ve been very busy lately with life so haven’t been on the forum in a couple months but I’m sad to say my result has not been what I expected either I gave up in the progress photos after getting no replies on them my density is just not what I was told it was gonna be and if from what I’m reading is correct there will not be any free or highly discounted touch up in a few years I’ll probably finish up the journey with couto or Cooley 

Have you spoken to Dr Mwamba?

On 8/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, RTC said:

So sadly, it is now 100% for me that I will not be returning to Dr Mwamba. I have to say, their customer service is awful and is part of the reason I will not be going back. Yes, Dr Mwamba is a nice man and does some good work, and this is not a personal attack on him, but I have been left with a very sour taste in my mouth at the way the clinic operates.

1) I had a significant lack of growth on top. Yes, I am a repair patient. Yes, there may be issues due to the previous transplant. I don't know. I did not really receive an answer as to why the top failed. But over 1000 grafts failed to grow, which for someone with a decimated donor, is a big, big loss. Those 1000 grafts could have solved my problems if even 70% of them grew. 

My main issue here is that I was not offered a free or significantly discounted touch up. At all. To be fair, I did not ask for a free touch up. But I did ask for a discounted touch up, but the best I got was an offer to remove 100 grafts (and to implant 100-150 fresh ones from the dark band at the bottom of my donor) for 4000 euros.

Far too expensive for such a small amount of work imo, ESPECIALLY considering I am a former patient who had spent just under 10k a year prior.

Not to mention that I have referred many people to Dr Mwamba, some who have gone to see him in Brussels and even written 'RTC' as the person who referred them on the form that was filled out at the consultation.

2) I was initially told that if you sent photos at 1 month, 3 months, 9 months, and 12 months I would receive a 10% rebate (15% if face showing). I stuck to this and sent in my photos at the year mark.

After several ignored emails and prompts, I was told they'd process it within 20 days. Nobody asked for my bank details or anything. It's now been more than a month since the 1 year mark of my procedure and my last few emails have been ignored as usual.

Why offer such a thing if you are not able to provide it? Just don't offer it in the first place then. I had a feeling in the back of my head that would be the case anyway.

That rebate, which I doubt I will ever get, would have been useful in my next step of the repair journey.

Overall, I am very disappointed, and it seems it's not just me. I will seek a different doctor for the next step of the journey, and have and will be consulting with a couple of a different doctors.

What a pity to read all these things.
I had Dr Mwamba in my bucket of 6-8 doctors but after following and reading your story, I am dropping this clinic. I believe, customer care is crucial in a business like this and they seem to be lacking big on this now.

Do you have any clinics in your mind for the touch-up? What about Dr Pinto, Dr Bisanga, Dr Feriduni and Dr Couto, have you reached out to any? I am pretty sure you have an easy fix for that hairline so do not worry too much. Also, your donor looks excellent. 

Thanks for sharing your experience and helping others.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 11:24 AM, CharlesBarkley said:

What a pity to read all these things.
I had Dr Mwamba in my bucket of 6-8 doctors but after following and reading your story, I am dropping this clinic. I believe, customer care is crucial in a business like this and they seem to be lacking big on this now.

Do you have any clinics in your mind for the touch-up? What about Dr Pinto, Dr Bisanga, Dr Feriduni and Dr Couto, have you reached out to any? I am pretty sure you have an easy fix for that hairline so do not worry too much. Also, your donor looks excellent. 

Thanks for sharing your experience and helping others.

I have reached out to a couple of highly respected doctors and will be seeing them for consultations in September, God willing. Both names you will know.

Overall I agree with the consensus here. I am pleased with my result. The only thing that could have been better is the density. It is not horrible but not great either. The communication is abysmal. They are nice people but at the clinic I still felt a little uncomfortable since it felt poorly organized. However , I didn’t get botched. But definitely not close to a top clinic. I will get my density touch up with De Freitas

• Like 1

One more thing : results aside. If you lie to your customers and do not communicate with them during difficult times (growth phase,questions etc.) then I consider this inexcusable behavior. A radical change is required or this clinic should be avoided at all costs.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, SteveUrkel02 said:

One more thing : results aside. If you lie to your customers and do not communicate with them during difficult times (growth phase,questions etc.) then I consider this inexcusable behavior. A radical change is required or this clinic should be avoided at all costs.

Agreed. Customer service is huge to me. And it really doesn't take much. Polite, efficient, fast replies.  Honouring agreements. Not difficult. 

Edited by RTC
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, SteveUrkel02 said:

This literal scam. It is not about results anymore. This has to be addressed. Is this even legal ? 

I am not sure, but for me, why promise something you have no intention of delivering on?

It was not a deciding factor in me getting surgery with them anyway, but it's infuriating. It would at least be a small contribution to the next stage of fixing my hairline.

I am sure if I was booking a new procedure, I would receive a reply. And whether I am on good terms with the clinic or not, business is business and there is absolutely no excuse for ghosting emails.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, RTC said:

I am not sure, but for me, why promise something you have no intention of delivering on?

It was not a deciding factor in me getting surgery with them anyway, but it's infuriating. It would at least be a small contribution to the next stage of fixing my hairline.

I am sure if I was booking a new procedure, I would receive a reply. And whether I am on good terms with the clinic or not, business is business and there is absolutely no excuse for ghosting emails.

If I was you, I would definitely insist on getting that rebate. If they don’t respond to you , try via Melvin. This is unacceptable honestly bro…

@SteveUrkel02 I have the same feeling and that's what I meant before:

On 8/7/2023 at 11:01 AM, hairywannabe said:

Well, I understand everything you wrote and I agree, however it's not exactly what I meant. Dr Mwamba is the recommended surgeon on this forum and it's not only about @RTC critical review but about that there are more and more worrying reports from many people. Thats why I think it's the topic that should be concerning to the whole forum community because the forum recommendation might be misleading for newcomers.

Should a clinic like that be recommended on this forum?

3 hours ago, hairywannabe said:

Should a clinic like that be recommended on this forum?

I do think it is time for a review of Mwamba's place on the recommended list

1) hypothetically if Mwamba was not already on the recommended list and he was up for a 1st evaluation, i doubt he  would be placed on the list

There are multiple cases on here that should have been really straightforward, where Mwamba has failed with growth

2) there are very concerning ethical issues regarding the rebate. This is not simply a communication issue or human error. The clinic intentionally and purposefully puts effort into denying the rebate. 

I just want to reiterate that I am a former Mwamba patient and stand with @RTC and corroborate his rebate issues, as I have literally experienced the same

The clinic has shown they are willing to destroy patient relationships over a few thousand dollars, or even just a few hundred dollars depending in surgery cost. 

In @RTC case correct me if im wrong but his rebate is less than $1k. 

This is chump change for the clinic, but they are still willing to burn the bridge...

One does have to wonder if this unethical behavior seeps into the surgery room

• Like 5

On 8/3/2023 at 3:11 PM, RTC said:

So sadly, it is now 100% for me that I will not be returning to Dr Mwamba. I have to say, their customer service is awful and is part of the reason I will not be going back. Yes, Dr Mwamba is a nice man and does some good work, and this is not a personal attack on him, but I have been left with a very sour taste in my mouth at the way the clinic operates.

1) I had a significant lack of growth on top. Yes, I am a repair patient. Yes, there may be issues due to the previous transplant. I don't know. I did not really receive an answer as to why the top failed. But over 1000 grafts failed to grow, which for someone with a decimated donor, is a big, big loss. Those 1000 grafts could have solved my problems if even 70% of them grew. 

My main issue here is that I was not offered a free or significantly discounted touch up. At all. To be fair, I did not ask for a free touch up. But I did ask for a discounted touch up, but the best I got was an offer to remove 100 grafts (and to implant 100-150 fresh ones from the dark band at the bottom of my donor) for 4000 euros.

Far too expensive for such a small amount of work imo, ESPECIALLY considering I am a former patient who had spent just under 10k a year prior.

Not to mention that I have referred many people to Dr Mwamba, some who have gone to see him in Brussels and even written 'RTC' as the person who referred them on the form that was filled out at the consultation.

2) I was initially told that if you sent photos at 1 month, 3 months, 9 months, and 12 months I would receive a 10% rebate (15% if face showing). I stuck to this and sent in my photos at the year mark.

After several ignored emails and prompts, I was told they'd process it within 20 days. Nobody asked for my bank details or anything. It's now been more than a month since the 1 year mark of my procedure and my last few emails have been ignored as usual.

Why offer such a thing if you are not able to provide it? Just don't offer it in the first place then. I had a feeling in the back of my head that would be the case anyway.

That rebate, which I doubt I will ever get, would have been useful in my next step of the repair journey.

Overall, I am very disappointed, and it seems it's not just me. I will seek a different doctor for the next step of the journey, and have and will be consulting with a couple of a different doctors.

I'm in the same situation regarding not receiving a rebate from Dr Mwamba. Was hoping to use it as a discount for my next HT. July 2023 was my 1 year mark and iv sent an email to every address i could find for the clinic and guess what................ radio silence! 🙁

• Like 2
  • Head Bang 1
  • Angry 4

• Administrators

Let me reach out to Dr. Mwamba, he’s been very ethical. I do expect him to stand by his work. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.