Can pubic hair be used as donor?

Hi @Afro

You may find this thread offers some insight -

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

48 minutes ago, Afro said:

I am wondering how good pubic hair would be for a touch up procedure instead of beard, chest, etc. 

Pubic hair can be used as donor. However, they would grow slower than the scalp or beard hair. They would also not attain the length of the scalp or beard hair.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Valued Contributor
23 minutes ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Pubic hair can be used as donor. However, they would grow slower than the scalp or beard hair. They would also not attain the length of the scalp or beard hair.

Yes. I had pubic hair used to fill in previous scars in the donor region from previous failed hair transplants. I didn't want to waste precious scalp or beard grafts for this (that could be later best utilized for the scalp). All the best!

• Like 2

Great question. 

Technically speaking it can be done for sure. 

Aesthethically speaking, it will look bad...

Because body hairs are very thin single grafts that look like vellus baby hairs. They provide very little coverage and density....

Also body hairs have the disadvantage of having a low survival rate. Between 30% and 60%.... 

I will never forget that one case from the Belicapelli forum of a guy who was a Norwood 7 and who went to Dr. Umar Sanusi in Los Angeles. He literally paid 150 000 USD and got around 30 000 body hair grafts transplanted....

His final result looked like crap....The angles were correct but had absolutely zero density and looked like body hair on scalp...

Think about it twice before ever doing it.

Pubic hair can be used maybe in some cases like Gatsby's to minimize scarring in the donor or on the scalp if mixed with scalp hairs to get a "pinch" more coverage. 

But it is certainly not the miracle cure for baldness. Otherwise all the Norwood 7 guys would just transplant all their pubic, chest, legs, arms hairs on the scalp and fix their baldness....Sadly it doesn't work that way...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Yes. I had pubic hair used to fill in previous scars in the donor region from previous failed hair transplants. I didn't want to waste precious scalp or beard grafts for this (that could be later best utilized for the scalp). All the best!

Yes this is exactly what I want to do. Did it work for you?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hairmills and homeruns said:

Great question. 

Technically speaking it can be done for sure. 

Aesthethically speaking, it will look bad...

Because body hairs are very thin single grafts that look like vellus baby hairs. They provide very little coverage and density....

Also body hairs have the disadvantage of having a low survival rate. Between 30% and 60%.... 

I will never forget that one case from the Belicapelli forum of a guy who was a Norwood 7 and who went to Dr. Umar Sanusi in Los Angeles. He literally paid 150 000 USD and got around 30 000 body hair grafts transplanted....

His final result looked like crap....The angles were correct but had absolutely zero density and looked like body hair on scalp...

Think about it twice before ever doing it.

Pubic hair can be used maybe in some cases like Gatsby's to minimize scarring in the donor or on the scalp if mixed with scalp hairs to get a "pinch" more coverage. 

But it is certainly not the miracle cure for baldness. Otherwise all the Norwood 7 guys would just transplant all their pubic, chest, legs, arms hairs on the scalp and fix their baldness....Sadly it doesn't work that way...

How many grafts would you think is in the region?

1 hour ago, Hairmills and homeruns said:

Wow. Would love to see this if you have a link...?

Afro,

Believe it or not, pubic hair can be used as donor hair however, since transplanted hair will always take on the characteristics they did prior to being transplanted, keep in mind that it would grow in looking essentially the same as it does in the pubic area.  It will also grow more slowly and only to a certain length.

I always tell people that body hair Is always best used as filler hair and after scalp hair has already been depleted.  For a beard in particular, I’m not so sure you’ll want pubic hair being used unless you have no more scalp donor hair and you’re only using it to fill in a few less than optimal dense areas.  But it sounds like you’re talking about using pubic hair on the scalp which would be better concealed however, if you have scalp hair available in the donor I suggest using that instead or first.   Like I said, it can be done, but it may not necessarily be ideal.  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

18 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Afro,

Believe it or not, pubic hair can be used as donor hair however, since transplanted hair will always take on the characteristics they did prior to being transplanted, keep in mind that it would grow in looking essentially the same as it does in the pubic area.  It will also grow more slowly and only to a certain length.

I always tell people that body hair Is always best used as filler hair and after scalp here has already been depleted.  For a beard in particular, I’m not so sure you’ll want pubic hair and being used unless you have no more scalp donor hair and you’re only using it to fill in a few less than optimal dense areas.  Like I said, it can be done, but it may not necessarily be ideal.  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

How many grafts would you say is in the region? Would it be more painful than normal donor extraction?

Afro,

Remember that any donor area where hair is being taken from will be essentially numbed with a local anesthetic. So you shouldn’t feel any pain. That said, I couldn’t personally imagine what numbing the pubic area would feel like and frankly, I don’t want to.  But either way, you shouldn’t feel any pain. As far as the number of hairs… I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking. Are you asking approximately how many pubic hairs would be available for transplanting? That would ultimately depend on the individual.

Just a question, but have you already depleted your scalp donor hair? Do you not have any more available? How many grafts/hair do you think you need implanted into the recipient area? Do you have photos you can share of your scalp?

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Afro hair tends to share common characteristics as body hair. It’s much different transplanting body hair to a person with fine straight hair, compared to someone with afro hair. Take a look at your pubic region, if it resembles the rest of your hair, it should be okay. Though, the growth and life cycles are different than scalp hair. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Afro,

Remember that any donor area where hair is being taken from will be essentially numbed with a local anesthetic. So you shouldn’t feel any pain. That said, I couldn’t personally imagine what numbing the pubic area would feel like and frankly, I don’t want to.  But either way, you shouldn’t feel any pain. As far as the number of hairs… I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking. Are you asking approximately how many pubic hairs would be available for transplanting? That would ultimately depend on the individual.

Just a question, but have you already depleted your scalp donor hair? Do you not have any more available? How many grafts/hair do you think you need implanted into the recipient area? Do you have photos you can share of your scalp?

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Yes I have had 3500 grafts in one sitting and do not want anymore taken. There are some parts of my scalp that aren’t touched and could be used but I don’t want to. I would like probably 400-500 back to hairline and like 300 back to donor so in total 800-1000 grafts. Also how bad will the pubic area be scared after this? 

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Afro hair tends to share common characteristics as body hair. It’s much different transplanting body hair to a person with fine straight hair, compared to someone with afro hair. Take a look at your pubic region, if it resembles the rest of your hair, it should be okay. Though, the growth and life cycles are different than scalp hair. 

Yeah in fact it is actually curlier than my scalp hair which should be better for coverage right? How natural would these hairs look on the hairline?

• Valued Contributor

In the hairline they would be far too course and would not look natural. Also when they go into their telogen phase they will leave the hairline looking sparse (depending on how many pubic hairs are grafted in this area). But as a filler they grow. I can feel mine in my donor region. I had 232 pubic hairs (really 500 was needed) but it does make a subtle difference. However I also have SMP in those donor scars so having pubic hairs farmed into the donor scars was really just icing on the cake. It wasn't a necessity. All the best!

1 hour ago, sukh123 said:

WTF, pubic hair you want some person punching near your penis lol. I mean i know people want hair, but this is pushing it, this is a violation lol

It kills two birds with one stone man. You get hair on your head and you don't have to shave your nuts (or your ass). Sadly, my hair is straight as an arrow 

1 hour ago, sukh123 said:

WTF, pubic hair you want some person punching near your penis lol. I mean i know people want hair, but this is pushing it, this is a violation lol

I'm also averse to the idea but it's up to the person i think. Desperate situation needs desperate measures. But yeah.

33 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

It kills two birds with one stone man. You get hair on your head and you don't have to shave your nuts (or your ass). Sadly, my hair is straight as an arrow 

... i certainly don't want my balls to be poked out. Scary on a whole new level. I get the part where they uses the upper part near the navel to almost there but... yeah they ain't touching deeznuts

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, mafpe said:

I'm also averse to the idea but it's up to the person i think. Desperate situation needs desperate measures. But yeah.

... i certainly don't want my balls to be poked out. Scary on a whole new level. I get the part where they uses the upper part near the navel to almost there but... yeah they ain't touching deeznuts

Oh no they ain’t touching the nuts at all. Just the upper area lol.

23 hours ago, Gatsby said:

In the hairline they would be far too course and would not look natural. Also when they go into their telogen phase they will leave the hairline looking sparse (depending on how many pubic hairs are grafted in this area). But as a filler they grow. I can feel mine in my donor region. I had 232 pubic hairs (really 500 was needed) but it does make a subtle difference. However I also have SMP in those donor scars so having pubic hairs farmed into the donor scars was really just icing on the cake. It wasn't a necessity. All the best!

So I should use public for donor area and facial hair for hairline?

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Oh no they ain’t touching the nuts at all. Just the upper area lol.

yeah i just can't resist making deeznuts jokes after seeing his post and name 😂

On 6/13/2022 at 5:19 AM, Gatsby said:

To be honest it was closer to

the scrotum! 🤣🤣🤣

Oh man! I had no idea this was a part of your repair journey, and I would've bet money that nobody had had this done. You're quite the revolutionary! 😝

Learning that this is a viable option honestly blows my mind a little... Thanks for educating us - and good for you for doing whatever it takes to get your hair the way you want it. 

• Haha 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 6/9/2022 at 7:07 AM, Hair transplant is a huge said:

Did you even read the original post?  He asked about touch ups, not restoring NW7 level baldness.