Does the feeling come back?

It would be very uncommon for that sensation to last a full year. It varies from person to person, but I think a few months would be on the longer side of average. I don't know if there's any hard data/research to give a definitive answer, but 4-6 weeks seems like a safe bet based on years of reading various reviews. And some people barely experience it at all.

From my own experience, my recipient area was completely fine. It was the donor area that was a bit numb/achey for the first month or so, but even that was fairly mild and nothing to be alarmed about. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Long numbness can happen, in fact can take 18 months in some cases. If by month 6 you have no return of sensation whatsoever then get checked out, but don't let anyone freak you out if it's taking a while to return.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you have multiple transplants over the same area to keep adding density or perhaps remove pluggy grafts and then add grafts again a few times, then the numbness may eventually never go away.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The nerves in your scalp in many cases get severed when the follicles are removed and need to re-attach which takes time but usually the body will recover this sensation within a year. 

However, this is assuming that nothing more untoward has been done during the procedure because there is imo a slight possibility of permanent nerve damage. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:17 PM, AlexMeister21 said:

Not sure about the recipient area because I didn't want to make any contact with it after HT, but my donor area was numb and sore for like 3-4 months.

Yeah, mine feels semi numb. But not nearly as numb as the recipient area. It honestly feels like I'm wearing a tortoise shell on my head.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:49 AM, BeHappy said:

If you have multiple transplants over the same area to keep adding density or perhaps remove pluggy grafts and then add grafts again a few times, then the numbness may eventually never go away.

Fortunately, this is my first and hopefully LAST transplant. I've had enough grafts in the most important area put in for this lifetime. Maybe I'll have another one with 1/3 the amount of grafts. I want the numbness to go away so soon it's laughable.

The numbness lasted between 3-6 months on all 4 of my procedures.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY