Donor area after Hair Transplant (Eugenix)

Hey guys,

discovered this forum from Melvin’s channel, so thanks Melvin.

I had my hair transplant done 2 months and 22 days ago from Eugenix in India. I know it’s too early to expect results so I am not worried about that at this stage. I am concerned about how the donor area looks, especially on both sides near the ears.

I had 4500 grafts implanted in two days sitting: 1800 on day 1 and rest on day 2. 

I will share some pics and hope you can share some advice..

(last 3 pics are the most recent, 3 above those were at 5 weeks mark)

(Adding last two pics pre extraction)

thanks everyone 

5869427B-00A1-46E4-96D7-C2F4F023E980.jpeg

74147C37-0518-41E8-BCDE-7F3D119D3D49.jpeg

04BECBAB-B749-4100-BD04-FC0F7AC1914F.jpeg

2B1C9E87-70CD-4B5C-B81E-39AAA91C7F33.jpeg

62398BB3-120C-48E2-9C11-E76458A0C527.jpeg

8E1DC977-9387-46F2-ACC0-A1F88D6F0FC9.jpeg

D8FFD86F-6BAD-450F-AF49-D70C1F9D1673.jpeg

36EE2EDE-7022-4ADB-8891-FE4AFAABFE8B.jpeg

87B314B8-53EB-4AC0-83FC-C1FBD083BB15.jpeg

07945114-AAAC-4F7B-932F-21A1D867757D.jpeg

8E6B5F9D-9516-4A5F-9608-E51C84B2D9D3.jpeg

4F6FA8D5-99A4-494F-BFCD-5B0FAFBA9EF8.jpeg

D78A67AC-3D3B-491F-941D-65B6EEC69762.jpeg

D8D217EB-76D9-4E56-9339-6D72D441A8CB.jpeg

436F99CF-95A4-4D4F-84A2-C75C9DF0BDE1.jpeg

Edited by Boomerang
Adding couple more pics
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeev123 said:

This is the second over harvesting of donor I’ve seen this week on this forum from eugenix, this is actually really shocking

Post op team initially said it’s shock loss and will recover...

yesterday I spoke to one of their Sr Doc.. he said it’s not their work they don’t do such close extractions..

I was shocked, how can you just deny.. pics are in front of you..

he then said grow the hairs long to cover it...

no one is letting me through to Dr Arika even after raising concern so my times. Sr Dr who came for video consultation, came without homework ie without looking at the pre and post op pics... 

very disappointed with the post op careless communication, lack of responsibility and no empathy.

not feeling confident about the results now

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

On 5/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Captain Haddock said:

Got a fade cut today and it's interesting to note how bad my extraction looks.

At the time I got the surgery I was under the impression that it was a shock loss and a lot of people affirmed but it seems like my donor wasn't operated on carefully. 

Especially when you're just 1.4K grafts down. It shouldn't really look like this.

IMG-20220503-WA0005.jpg

2 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

That’s shocking 🙁

I took the clinic on the face value.. not sure what could I have done to avoid this. 
I am curious to speak to Dr Arika re my situation, she made the slits, she was fantastic. Only disappointment is that techs were not supervised during the op

• Boomerang changed the title to Donor area after Hair Transplant (Eugenix)

At this point, I wouldn’t say it is 100 percent over-harvesting. 
You had a strip procedure and in my opinion the blood flow around that area is not was it used to be, but the donor should recover. 

The after care you described is a catastrophe indeed!

If it comes down to Eugenix, I was never impressed by their over-all work and also their package system is very confusing to me. 

2 hours ago, Boomerang said:

I took the clinic on the face value.. not sure what could I have done to avoid this.

You did no wrong, trust me. The last thing HT patients should do is blame themselves after not getting the care they deserved.

You might think that a higher package must mean better results but no, I've had the founding surgeon do my donor extraction and it hasn't turned out good either.

38 minutes ago, didu911 said:

At this point, I wouldn’t say it is 100 percent over-harvesting. 
You had a strip procedure and in my opinion the blood flow around that area is not was it used to be, but the donor should recover. 

The after care you described is a catastrophe indeed!

If it comes down to Eugenix, I was never impressed by their over-all work and also their package system is very confusing to me. 

At this point I can only hope that the results come good to make up for it. 

re Eugenix, Dr Arika no doubt is fantastic. There are people there who lack professionalism, I wish had known them I could have dealt with it better and could have avoided this.

9 minutes ago, Captain Haddock said:

You did no wrong, trust me. The last thing HT patients should do is blame themselves after not getting the care they deserved.

You might think that a higher package must mean better results but no, I've had the founding surgeon do my donor extraction and it hasn't turned out good either.

feel bad for you man. How you dealing with it?

It just sad that knowing that someone who has had two unsuccessful procedures and has traveled from another country with hope... and in general people who pay Eugenix prices expect good care and results.

so far feedback on care is -ve 

results we will have to wait and see

4 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Post op team initially said it’s shock loss and will recover...

yesterday I spoke to one of their Sr Doc.. he said it’s not their work they don’t do such close extractions..

I was shocked, how can you just deny.. pics are in front of you..

no one is letting me through to Dr Arika even after raising concern so my times. Sr Dr who came for video consultation, came without homework ie without looking at the pre and post op pics... 

very disappointed with the post op careless communication, lack of responsibility and no empathy.

not feeling confident about the results now

"yesterday I spoke to one of their Sr Doc.. he said it’s not their work they don’t do such close extractions.."

THAT is a shocker and if true requires some investigation, flat out denying work carried out is careless and shows complete lack of empathy. I hope things work out for you OP :(

My hair transplant Journey with Dr. Freitas

2 hours ago, drawdownfx said:

"yesterday I spoke to one of their Sr Doc.. he said it’s not their work they don’t do such close extractions.."

THAT is a shocker and if true requires some investigation, flat out denying work carried out is careless and shows complete lack of empathy. I hope things work out for you OP :(

Thanks mate 

all the best to you too

This is all very concerning. 

I have been enjoying Eugenix' work for a long time but did have a nagging doubt that they could soon start getting overbooked and standards could start slipping. 

If true, for the doctor to deny this is their work, is quite appalling.

Hang in there and let us hope that this is mostly shock loss. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Egy said:

Wait a few more months, the shock loss takes up to the third / fourth month after the transplant to recover well, in any case, yes, the comment where they say that it is not their job is strange, here I expect that @Eugenix Hair Science @Eugenix Hair Science to intervene and clarify.

Thanks and I really do hope that it is shock loss. 
The Dr didn’t seem interested, seemed rather bothered. 
straight up his words were ‘where is it from, we don’t do this close extraction’... and he said that couple of times... 

Their post op care is good for sending std follow up messages for periodic pics and a std response ‘according to dr assessment everything is on track’

Irony, when you talk to dr they say it’s not their job

Anyway, thanks for the support guys, means a lot 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Boomerang

Welcome to the forum. I can definitely empathize with your concern. I was struggling with the same issue after my second hair transplant, which to date, was my best procedure. See below

Now, having said that, I want you to know that two months is still very early. It's common for you to be experiencing shock loss in the donor and possibly the recipient site. This time period is called the 'ugly duckling' phase.  When I look at these pictures, I'm fairly certain that it is indeed shock loss by the circular nature. Over harvesting generally has smaller patches. Shock loss has larger, circular patches. I would start taking oral minoxidil to recover, or applying topical minoxidil to the affected area. Shock loss is essentially telogen effluvium- this occurs because the trauma from the surgery caused the hair follicles to enter the dormant phase. It takes a few months for the follicles to return to the growing (anagen phase). Give it a few more months. 

image.png

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 hours ago, Boomerang said:

@Melvin- Moderatorand as for that, what can you tell us? since the clinic has not yet intervened on the forum?

Edited by Egy

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Egy said:

@Melvin- Moderatorand as for that, what can you tell us? since the clinic has not yet intervened on the forum?

Based on what he is saying he has been in contact with the clinic. I have forwarded this to them, for their response. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @Boomerang

I do not believe this is over harvesting as you seem to have had an excellent donor area pre-op. But I could be wrong, nothing is guaranteed

The extraction seems to be very balanced on the back judging from the post-op photos they took of you

I have a theory that by extracting so many grafts on separate days might have been traumatizing on your backside, not everyone's scalp reacts the same way and may end up with a different outcome to SHOCK LOSS.

This is how my donor area looked 1 month after 3000 grafts FUE in TURKEY. It was horrible and traumatizing. 

I believe after a few weeks later from month 1 it started to fill up. I think I got my first haircut at the end of month 2

image.png.44ed36711229d68890b711ebfd09a731.png        

Lucky for them (and me) my hair grew back.  Still to this day I have extraction scars larger than they should be. The extractions that I had from Eugenix were much smaller. None the less, I still cannot keep short haircuts but with some length everything is covered.

You have 2 choices,  wait for improvement and see what happens. Or else if the situation remains bad you must demand that your donor area gets fixed free of charge (most probably using beard grafts to fill in) You mentioned you are at two months, this is usually quite on the late side of shock loss but it can happen. I would remain calm for the next month or two months and then take action.

Good luck sir

5 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Hi @Boomerang

I do not believe this is over harvesting as you seem to have had an excellent donor area pre-op. But I could be wrong, nothing is guaranteed

The extraction seems to be very balanced on the back judging from the post-op photos they took of you

I have a theory that by extracting so many grafts on separate days might have been traumatizing on your backside, not everyone's scalp reacts the same way and may end up with a different outcome to SHOCK LOSS.

This is how my donor area looked 1 month after 3000 grafts FUE in TURKEY. It was horrible and traumatizing. 

I believe after a few weeks later from month 1 it started to fill up. I think I got my first haircut at the end of month 2

image.png.44ed36711229d68890b711ebfd09a731.png        

Lucky for them (and me) my hair grew back.  Still to this day I have extraction scars larger than they should be. The extractions that I had from Eugenix were much smaller. None the less, I still cannot keep short haircuts but with some length everything is covered.

You have 2 choices,  wait for improvement and see what happens. Or else if the situation remains bad you must demand that your donor area gets fixed free of charge (most probably using beard grafts to fill in) You mentioned you are at two months, this is usually quite on the late side of shock loss but it can happen. I would remain calm for the next month or two months and then take action.

Good luck sir

what Turkey clinic you go to?

We are sorry to hear your concerns. Let me speak to you directly. I will send you the private message once I have pulled out all your detaills

And I will surely connect you to Dr Arika directly 

• Like 1

Counsellor at Eugenix Hair Sciences,

Dr. Arika Bansal and Dr. Pradeep Sethi

This certainly is not an inspiring after care approach we'd expect for a patient when feeling vulnerable.

OP, i sincerely hope that it is in fact shock loss in the donor area and not over harvesting but you likely will know imo more definitely around the 6+ month mark and that should allow ample time for around two hair cycles (3 months each) to have been and show improvement. 

Eugenix are highly praised for their work and it seems many patients from this forum have posted favourable reviews etc. however its also apparent that most recently they are having a few cases where they are falling low of the great standards they have set for themselves.