Johnny Depp’s Hair Loss

• Administrators

Like many, I’ve been watching the Amber Heard and Johnny Depp trial. I received a recommended video from Johnny when he was young, my god what a luscious head of hair. 

At 50+ years he’s definitely showing signs of hair loss. Even guys with fantastic heads of hair in their 20’s would benefit from preventive medication. Thoughts?

AB641EDB-6AEC-4B25-AA6E-73B8D852BEBF.jpeg

A6C43518-C038-462D-A9E1-8F9B3876F205.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Personally I think his hair has held on very well. Given his age, and likely his lifestyle too, I think most of us would kill to be in his position as a norwood 2.5 at 50+. The fact that he has a pulled back ponytail accentuates the minimal hairline loss.

• Like 4

Nobody can escape the Hair Reaper ! Happens to pretty much all of us in the end. Some of us a lot, lot earlier 😬My hair was pretty awesome in my younger days too… 

Edited by J.A.C

• Moderators

Johnny Depp is 58, so I think he has some darn good hair for that age. At 58 he has more than I had at 19.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Johnny Depps hair when not slicks back and tight into a ponytail looks pretty good but i think there's either a chance he's had work done or just done really well with medication. 

Suits him overall even as it is right now. 

• Like 1

he's 50+, and with a lot of stress for the last decade of his life, not to mention his hairline.

i suppose everyone can benefit from the meds, but the risk means most that are not affected shouldn't take it if they don't need it.

it's like how we only take med when we're sick, supplements and vitamins are good in certain dose, but what we take are usually all "risk-free".

minox would be good even for people not suffering, but topical one does require dedication that they don't want to commit to unless they have the problem.

28 minutes ago, mafpe said:

he's 50+, and with a lot of stress for the last decade of his life, not to mention his hairline.

i suppose everyone can benefit from the meds, but the risk means most that are not affected shouldn't take it if they don't need it.

it's like how we only take med when we're sick, supplements and vitamins are good in certain dose, but what we take are usually all "risk-free".

minox would be good even for people not suffering, but topical one does require dedication that they don't want to commit to unless they have the problem.

I think you're ignoring the obvious and clear difference between male pattern hair loss which is a progressive condition and needs to be managed regularly and something infrequent like a headache, stomach bug etc. which you treat as and when it arises. 

Stress also doesn't cause permanent hair loss

• Administrators
11 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Personally I think his hair has held on very well. Given his age, and likely his lifestyle too, I think most of us would kill to be in his position as a norwood 2.5 at 50+. The fact that he has a pulled back ponytail accentuates the minimal hairline loss.

Oh I agree, but imagine if he would’ve been on preventive medication, he’d probably still look the same hair wise. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

I guess my point is, even guys with no visible sign could benefit from getting on meds to stop their hairline from maturing a lot. 

View my thread

35 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I guess my point is, even guys with no visible sign could benefit from getting on meds to stop their hairline from maturing a lot. 

Honestly, i'm pretty sure he's probably been on it and for quite a while and wouldn't be surprised if he has had something conservative done too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I think you're ignoring the obvious and clear difference between male pattern hair loss which is a progressive condition and needs to be managed regularly and something infrequent like a headache, stomach bug etc. which you treat as and when it arises. 

Stress also doesn't cause permanent hair loss

i think you're ignoring my point of risk on medications, no matter how small the chance are, if the said person is unlucky enough, he's that guy on the small percentage of unlucky guys. there's a reason many meds needs to be prescribed, not freely sold.

some people takes vitamin / supplements daily, some doesn't bother.

if they don't think it affect them, most people wouldn't act on a routine which they don't think work for them.

do i think the meds would help them retain their hairline? yes.

should everyone takes them regardless of the chance of them actually having MPB, since young age?
it's their own choice, i think best that they know the benefit of taking them, but also the risk associated with it

*edit : forgot about the stress, yes, there's no proof that stress lead to permanent hair loss, and most can be regrown with favorable condition

Edited by mafpe

Melvin,

Objection - hearsay 🙂

On a serious note, I think this is a good example of how even men with the thickest most lustrous heads of hair can thin out at least a little over the years.

I’ll admit, as much as I’m a Johnny Depp fan and have been following the trial,  I’ve never really attempted to evaluate his hair by looking at the different angles of his scalp.

But by looking at the front, it looks like he has somewhat of a receding or maturing hairline.  But that said, I think most men in general let alone men in their 50’s would love to have Johnny’s fairly thick looking mane let alone his desirability factor.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

35 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Even on DHT blockers most men's hairlines will still recede if genetically predisposed to. Whether it be referred to as maturing or recession is a mute point. It's the crown that gets the most benefit from preventative medication.

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

1 minute ago, mafpe said:

i think you're ignoring my point of risk on medications, no matter how small the chance are, if the said person is unlucky enough, he's that guy on the small percentage of unlucky guys. there's a reason many meds needs to be prescribed, not freely sold.

some people takes vitamin / supplements daily, some doesn't bother.

if they don't think it affect them, most people wouldn't act on a routine which they don't think work for them.

do i think the meds would help them retain their hairline? yes.

should everyone takes them regardless of the chance of them actually having MPB, since young age?
it's their own choice, i think best that they know the benefit of taking them, but also the risk associated with it

Everybody has to do their own research, do their own tests and imo personally as a person who put it off for like a decade i regret not getting on it sooner. 

Tbh, if somebody said to me there's a medication to help you with your hair loss with only a circa <5% chance of side affects and less than 2% of anything being persistent, i'd gladly jump on that medication and is exactly what i did after almost a decade and so glad i did before things fall even more off a cliff. 

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/reel/314470970834462?fs=e&s=cl

The above URL shows a good shot of the top of Johnny Depp‘s hair and frankly, it looks pretty good and quite thick.

now having longer hair myself, I know that it can conceal the appearance of thinning on top if it exists but I highly doubt there’s much if any thinning up there.

frankly, it just looks like he has a mature hairline or very mild hairline recession. But frankly, it looks great and I think most of us would agree that we wouldn’t mind having his hair.

Since I posted on the time earlier and just saw this video, I thought I would share.

Rahal Hair Transplant

AC5AE160-87D2-4385-9631-4F5EEC24E28A.png

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I remember when I was 18 and worried I was balding, I'd look at Johnny Depp as reference because he had some mild recession at the temples when he was in his 20s but it didn't progress much past that. I was hoping I'd be in the same boat, but nope. 

Edited by AlexMeister21

• Administrators
10 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

Even on DHT blockers most men's hairlines will still recede if genetically predisposed to. Whether it be referred to as maturing or recession is a mute point. It's the crown that gets the most benefit from preventative medication.

Honestly, it depends on the level of sensitivity. I really believe someone like Depp with a minimal amount of DHT sensitivity, probably would have a hairline like Brad Pitt right now, had he gotten on meds. 

View my thread

It is an interesting discussion but In my view Depp is doing very well without meds. I would not even recommend meds to him. With meds you never know what you get in the long term. If you get do without them more power to you.

Johnny Depp had a HT 100% to reinforce the hairline(respecting the same shape)as he was losing hair there around 10 y ago or so, it can be seen more when he dyes his hair black

Even Brad Pitt had a tiny one in around late 2012-2013, he was then shaving his temple points for a while to give the illusion of less recession(there was no recession, it was on the way of maturing like his brother, but it was compared to his juvenile hairline) 

2 hours ago, MattJosh said:

Johnny Depp had a HT 100% to reinforce the hairline(respecting the same shape)as he was losing hair there around 10 y ago or so, it can be seen more when he dyes his hair black

Even Brad Pitt had a tiny one in around late 2012-2013, he was then shaving his temple points for a while to give the illusion of less recession(there was no recession, it was on the way of maturing like his brother, but it was compared to his juvenile hairline) 

It would be interesting to see if you can post some comparison pictures. 

Brad Pitt's hair is solid even now. The only slight thing about him though is his temple point narrow in a fair bit over the brow and then swing back a bit more sharper than probably aesthetically ideal. 

@Melvin- Moderatorit's also depends on the angle, I think Depp might have no hairloss at all , he had curves over his temples since the 90s, he always had that M shape hairline which can have wider curves due to skin goes backwards, it happens to men over the 40's-50's, very few cases men starting to have NW2 pattern and stuck with that forever, but I think in Depp's case it's more skin change, hard for me to believe he had a job done.

Screenshot_20220506-140244_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220506-140533_Google.jpg

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

Here is JD at 31 and 32 years old, he had a transplant years later keeping his natural high hairline, while very natural you can see the sharp design over the last decade 

2004.jpg

2005.jpg