How many hairs do you see in the shower everyday?

I used to shave my head, and only a few months ago started growing my hair out. 

I never used to notice any real hair loss, but now every time I shower and wash my hair, I see numerous hairs in my hand. At least 50 probably.

Today I have also noticed more gaps in my hair (which is transplanted), but I don't know if it's normal or an actual loss in hair, and why I would have only started losing hair since growing it out (i.e. it might have been normal but just unnoticeable).

I'm not on Finasteride and am very reluctant to get on it.

Edited by Aslitarcan sucks

Stop stressing. Causes more hair loss lol

You can shed 50-150 hairs a day as a normal rate. People say the less hair you have, the less you should shed but i think it's a bit of a fallacy and i think that the range is around a normal figure. 

I would definitely say the scalp inflammation and Vitamin deficiencies usually aren't discussed as much on this forum but they do need to be addressed as hair loss is multi-factorial 

• Like 2

U are obviously continuing balding .. n yes it’s normal to shed that many hairs a day. 
but it’s not normal when ur hair don’t grow back fast enough to replenish what u just loss. Therefore u are suffering from MPB .. that’s why u had a hair transplant . n if u don’t hop on meds u will continue to lose hair n be bald. 

I experienced the same issue as u .. freaked me out until I got stabilized on meds .. the 50 hair fall during shower became 5 to 10 hairs instead of 50… face the facts. N stop ignoring what your hair is telling u to do .. they need help. 

Edited by Legend007

That may be so, but I just don't see the point in stopping hair loss and potentially growing breasts and having your penis stop working

1 minute ago, Legend007 said:

U are obviously continuing balding .. n yes it’s normal to shed that many hairs a day. 
but it’s not normal when ur hair don’t grow back fast enough to replenish what u just loss. Therefore u are suffering from MPB .. that’s why u had a hair transplant . n if u don’t hop on meds u will continue to lose hair n be bald. 

I experienced the same issue as u .. freaked me out until I got stabilized on meds .. the 50 hair fall during shower became 5 to 10 hairs instead of 50… face the facts. N stop ignoring what your hair is telling u to do .. they need help. 

Less than 10 hairs. I understand your reluctance to get on Finansteride. WIth everything we know now you know, the wider occurence of side effects and the potential even being it minimal of PFS. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

That may be so, but I just don't see the point in stopping hair loss and potentially growing breasts and having your penis stop working

i think this is more to steroid than finas. most common side effect on it i hear is weaker erection/less libido, but you can microdose it and see how it perform.

this is also dependent on how affected is your confidence, with your hair in equation. If you are very self conscious on how your hair look, even on bed, i think that'll do more number to your performace compared to what finas did to most people.

also 50 hair is... on the lower side. i've been losing 100+ per day even with meds, and while it was worrisome, the rate im balding is lesser than those who aren't taking any meds, if they have balding genetic. honestly i think i'll be norwood 5 already without the meds.

that said, the meds does come with side effect, just educate yourself thoroughly on the benefit and risk, then decide.

• Like 1

I’ve been using fin for the last 5 years .. it literally saved my hair .. I must of been going thru some things but my hair was falling out like krazy. 

But it’s stabilized n hair is no longer an issue for me. I have no big tits.. my penis still works .. libido might be less .   But it’s not dramatic to be an issue. 

N I’m getting close to the age where I have to start taking fin for prostrate enlargement issues too .. so if I’m not taking it for hairloss it would be for my prostrate .. 

either way Imma be on it for the rest of my life probably .. but I don’t take it consistently either .. 1 mg every 2 days or something .. 

I think once ur hair stabilizes n not fall out like leaves on a tree u can definitely lower the dosage. 

U just have to be on the meds long enough  to take effect n make the roots of the hair thick n healthy again .. 

peeps think it’s okay to let yourself lose hair .. think of every hair follicle that falls out n don’t grown back .. that’s an 8$ hair there .. u losing 50 in a day .. that’s potentially $400 every day u losing .. 

Only about 2 or 3 these days, but I remember 15-20 years ago there were tons in the shower and on the pillow.  Probably 50-100 daily.

On 1.25mg fin every third day.  Interestingly I don't get any sides when I take it straight after breakfast.  Taking it outside meal times seems to give very minor brain fog.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

14 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I used to shave my head, and only a few months ago started growing my hair out. 

I never used to notice any real hair loss, but now every time I shower and wash my hair, I see numerous hairs in my hand. At least 50 probably.

Today I have also noticed more gaps in my hair (which is transplanted), but I don't know if it's normal or an actual loss in hair, and why I would have only started losing hair since growing it out (i.e. it might have been normal but just unnoticeable).

I'm not on Finasteride and am very reluctant to get on it.

it depends on how frequent you wash your hair. its normal to lose about 50 to 100 hairs daily. If you do not wash daily expect to see 50-100 hairs of daily accumulation falling out each time. This may not mean you lose it all in one shower. But it could be hair that has already fallen out. Which is technically being 'exfoliated' out of your scalp.

Are there any reasons youre against taking finasteride?

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

8 hours ago, Vann said:

it depends on how frequent you wash your hair. its normal to lose about 50 to 100 hairs daily. If you do not wash daily expect to see 50-100 hairs of daily accumulation falling out each time. This may not mean you lose it all in one shower. But it could be hair that has already fallen out. Which is technically being 'exfoliated' out of your scalp.

Are there any reasons youre against taking finasteride?

Sexual side effects mainly...

2 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Sexual side effects mainly...

If I were you I’d see a doctor and get a prescription and have them explain to you how the drug works… I don’t think you understand the side effects. Or the small chances it effects most people. The amount of men that take the drug from doctors are much higher than you think. 

Most of the of reported sexual side effects I have seen are coming from some people who are inexperienced and may report it effects them and stop taking the drug. Or those who could have started earlier and found out later in life and have no reported issues.

consult your physician and understand how it may effect you and any ways you can work around it. Assuming you want to keep whatever remainder of hair thickness that is already preexisting. 

just an fyi, most of finasterides side effects stop once taking the drug. 

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

43 minutes ago, Vann said:

If I were you I’d see a doctor and get a prescription and have them explain to you how the drug works… I don’t think you understand the side effects. Or the small chances it effects most people. The amount of men that take the drug from doctors are much higher than you think. 

Most of the of reported sexual side effects I have seen are coming from some people who are inexperienced and may report it effects them and stop taking the drug. Or those who could have started earlier and found out later in life and have no reported issues.

consult your physician and understand how it may effect you and any ways you can work around it. Assuming you want to keep whatever remainder of hair thickness that is already preexisting. 

just an fyi, most of finasterides side effects stop once taking the drug. 

Within the past two days alone I've seen posts on here talking about loss of libido and softer erections

I think people downplay the risk of side effects way too much

On 4/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Within the past two days alone I've seen posts on here talking about loss of libido and softer erections

And how many guys are actually handsome enough to get women (much less consistently decent quality women) with hair loss?  Very few.  Hell, most can't even without the loss.  And looks are more and more important in dating these days with dating apps. Weaker erections mean less likelihood of unwanted pregnancy - you can still get off and get a woman off without a fully (or consistently) functional third member.  It's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world nor will it relegate you living like Ralph from the Sopranos.  Now gyno and loss of the ability to ejaculate (which I presume are even rarer) is another story - if you literally can't ejaculate, that's a whole other world of pain.  I'm posting this because it's not a view I've ever seen espoused, but it's a legitimate option.  Again, it's not ideal, but neither is losing your hair 15-20 years before you have to.

Edited by John1991

On 4/20/2022 at 11:52 PM, Aslitarcan sucks said:

this is highly dependent on the dose and recipient. i do agree that the % are usually downplayed, but not in the sense the numbers are tweaked.

For most people its not "loss" of libido entirely, nor that they would have soft erection all the time, but more to you having less libido compared to usual, and not as hard as you would normally when you're not really aroused. If it is, trust me, way more people are going to talk about the sides and it won't be as acceptable.

the point is that it won't lead to a total loss, nor make you have an ED type of problem, just that you'll be less wanting, but you would still need to take care of the need, and it won't fail you when you're in bed, minus the case where you aren't into it, which probably will make it harder to do it.

my own case it like that, i do feel less urge, but the drug won't make you go abstain, otherwise the drug will probably a recommended medication for hyper people or those who wants to go into abstinency or monkhood or the likes...

i'll be frank, like john said, hair -> better attractiveness -> better chance of getting with other people. This is one of the main reason people care, attractiveness. self confidence included in the package (who doesn't like it when they aren't better looking)

confidence and mental problem is usually a worse offender for sexual performance, bar the chance of ever getting into it.

my advice is to try the topical one and see if you have any adverse effect, and no, just because you tried it once or for a week, it won't give you permanent side effect *unless you have a very unique genetic interaction with the meds, people don't grow a gyno suddenly, masses take time to build. (i've changed from oral finas to topical, it's less effective, but there is less pronounced side effect)
otherwise if you're not willing to go for the topical, i'm afraid you have limited option because the 2 meds are highly recommended due to its proven effectiveness and relative safety.

you can still give other methods a try though, for example, biotin (vitamin B), and dermarolling due note that these two aren't as effective in arresting further hair loss, and with diverse results compared to finas + minox

TLDR :
1. sexual side effect is not fully disabling on most people (most only felt just slight reduction that its not a problem, some don't even notice nor are they affected at all), if it is, it's usually compounded with other factor such as stress / mental state. IF you do feel the side effect is pronounced, do stop the meds.
2. you can try topical which is said to be less effective but with way lower risk.
3. there is side effect, you will have to either risk it and dose it (please research the dose and %), or accept it. You can try other method, but they are less proven.

3 hours ago, John1991 said:

And how many guys are actually handsome enough to get women (much less consistently decent quality women) with hair loss?  Very few.  Hell, most can't even without the loss.  And looks are more and more important in dating these days with dating apps. Weaker erections mean less likelihood of unwanted pregnancy - you can still get off and get a woman off without a fully (or consistently) functional third member.  It's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world nor will it relegate you living like Ralph from the Sopranos.  Now gyno and loss of the ability to ejaculate (which I presume are even rarer) is another story - if you literally can't ejaculate, that's a whole other world of pain.  I'm posting this because it's not a view I've ever seen espoused, but it's a legitimate option.  Again, it's not ideal, but neither is losing your hair 15-20 years before you have to.

I can't believe you are proposing that having softer erections is a viable solution for anyone.

The ability to get an erection is fundamental to being a physiologically functioning man.. if you can't, it feels bad and does have an impact on self esteem.

And your point about men not being able to pull women therefore not needing their penis is moot, some men are in relationships or married.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:34 PM, Gatsby said:

It's normal to shed about 100 hairs a day in a 24 hour period.

I have noticed that the older I get, the more hair I shed which is more noticeable when shampooing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

12 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I can't believe you are proposing that having softer erections is a viable solution for anyone.

The ability to get an erection is fundamental to being a physiologically functioning man.. if you can't, it feels bad and does have an impact on self esteem.

And your point about men not being able to pull women therefore not needing their penis is moot, some men are in relationships or married.

Your dick has far less impact on your day-to-day, moment-to-moment self confidence than your hair does.  And it has precisely no impact on anything outside of the bedroom. Whereas hair impacts every interaction you have (including the ones that you hope will lead to the bedroom). Not having hair feels bad and has (as mentioned) serious negative impact on self esteem too.  You act as if I proposed a perfect solution. I neither did nor pretended to. 

Edited by John1991

Before Fin, I used to get a lot of hairs in my hands when shampooing. After Fin, I may get a few here and there. When I first started taking Fin, I did have decreased libido, so I started taking it once every three days until my body got used to it. Now I take it almost every day and don’t have problems for the most part. Sometimes I feel a little less libido so I skip a few days of Fin to get back on track.

• 4 months later...
On 19.04.2022 at 17:31, RTC said:

Saçımı tıraş ederdim ve sadece birkaç ay önce saçlarımı uzatmaya başladım. 

Gerçek bir saç dökülmesini hiç fark etmezdim, ama şimdi her duş aldığımda ve saçımı yıkadığımda elimde çok sayıda saç görüyorum. En az 50 muhtemelen.

Bugün ayrıca saçlarımda (ekilen) daha fazla boşluk olduğunu fark ettim, ancak bunun normal mi yoksa gerçek bir saç dökülmesi mi olduğunu bilmiyorum ve neden saçlarım uzadıktan sonra dökülmeye başladım (yani dökülmüş olabilir). normaldi ama sadece farkedilemezdi).

Finasteride kullanmıyorum ve almak konusunda çok isteksizim.

Hey friend! Let me explain. As I know each strand lives for 4-6 years, then it rests and then the hair falls out. Losing hair in this way is naturally a job and it is considered normal to lose 50-100 strands of hair a day. So I think it's normal. However, if you feel confused, you can discuss it with an expert :)

Do you guys think its normal to lose between 30-40 hairs a day ? I shower every day and usually lose between 10-15. In the past two days I lost between 30-40. There is also always that very small yellow/white bulb on them. Does that mean the follicle fell out as well ?! 

the same thing happened to me 2-3 weeks ago, I lost between 30-40 hairs 5 days in a row. That was the result of using a very harsh shampoo, it became normal again after stopping it. But now I have it again for some reason. So far I have not noticed any difference in hair density, I hope nothing bad will happen.

It sounds perfectly normal to me and nothing sounds unusual.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY