FUE- 1427 GRAFTS- BHR BRUSSELS- Dr BISANGA- 03 /02/22

Top Cat

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I had a hair transplant at BHR in Brussels on 03/02/22 having 1427 grafts. This forum was an invaluable tool to help me research Hair transplants and make an informed decision of where and which clinic to have the procedure with. I think its only fair I document my transplant journey and contribute to the forum, incase it can help someone else. So here goes…

Background & Medication

30 year old. Taking finasteride for 2 years. Started taking oral Minoxidil January 2022.

Surgery graft count

FUE 1427 grafts 

1’s- 396

2’s- 561

3’s- 470

Surgery Goals 

To restore hairline and temples. To reinforce my existing hairs where weak. 

Pre surgery- 02/02/22

02/02/22- Attended the BHR clinic at around 1600 hours and had my pre-surgery consultation with Dr Bisanga and one of his technicians. We discussed the hairline design and he drew this on. The clinic then took a series of photos and shaved the recipient and donor area. Everyone at the clinic I met was very friendly and professional at all times, easing any concerns I had.

03/02/22- date of surgery 

Arrived at 11:00 hours and straight into the surgery room. Got changed into surgical kit and onto the surgery bed. I then had injections to both sides of my head ready for extractions. The injections did sting abit and felt sharp at times. That’s just a necessary part of the process… no pain, no gain I guess.

Some Extraction punches were done by Dr Bisanga and some by Dr Kostis. Dr Bisanga made all the recipient site holes for grafts and drew on the hairline design again. The technicians extracted and placed the grafts. We did break for lunch at some point, but I can’t recall when this was. I think I was all done by about 1700 hours if not before. 

BHR- 

Everyone I’ve dealt with at BHR has been professional and friendly throughout. Answering emails and questions promptly which has been great. 

I will post on this thread a series of pictures to document my journey -  showing pre and post op so far. 

Feel free to comment and ask questions. 

Edited by Top Cat
  • Like 1

Day 10 post op- Scab free- 13/02/22- 

I have noticed once the scabs have been removed- some gaps in the hairline in one temple particularly. I hope this is just from shedding or coming off with the scabs when removing them, and nothing to be concerned about hopefully. I have added some photos of the small hairs that came off when removing the scabs, and some hairs in the scabs - if anyone can comments and advise me..

A54FA69B-B49D-438B-B2A4-828169D4E85C.jpeg

5CF7C365-89EB-436F-86EF-FD2D77038EC9.jpeg

9032BA4E-1608-4D70-AA56-3AD7CDB16BA5.jpeg

D830E40F-663C-4A01-975E-F2EF0F4010FD.jpeg

54AE22BC-E8F4-4E67-B6F0-E9BB1ACF4F96.jpeg

71E12AFE-8877-4DCA-A3D4-E36C3C0BAF90.jpeg

F97932C2-F3DD-4D2F-B3AA-C2C4F1F49D0D.jpeg

23F54A34-50F0-4E16-AF1F-FCFA8C422631.jpeg

0C31C8D8-EBD5-41EF-89FE-1B4E1958F3CE.jpeg

Edited by Top Cat

17 hours ago, Hairsome said:

Looks great! Could you tell me what the density is that they decided on in terms of grafts per cm²?

@Hairsome Thanks. I don’t know the density grafts per cm2. I did ask this at the pre consultation before surgery, but at the time the Dr didn’t know exactly how many grafts he was going to use, until doing the surgery to be able to tell me. I will find out for you and post it on here. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Top Cat said:

Day 10 post op- Scab free- 13/02/22- 

I have noticed once the scabs have been removed- some gaps in the hairline in one temple particularly. I hope this is just from shedding or coming off with the scabs when removing and nothing to be concerned about hopefully. I have added some photos of the small hairs that came off when removing the scabs and some hairs in the scabs in anyone can comments and advise me..

23F54A34-50F0-4E16-AF1F-FCFA8C422631.jpeg

0C31C8D8-EBD5-41EF-89FE-1B4E1958F3CE.jpeg

Hey man, I had exactly the same with removing my final scab on day 10 like on your last picture. The hair grew back! The first days you can't touch the grafts because they are looking for bloodsupply, at the point where you are allowed to remove the scabs they should already have done so and by removing some accidental hairs, you do not remove the graft entirely i.e. the potential for new hair to grow out. The only thing is that you might have ''removed'' the chance for these say +- 30 grafts to be early growers, and even that will not make for any difference with them being only 2% of your total graft count.

The work looks very clean! Congratulations on making the step.

Edited by LeBerry

• Administrators

Wow look at that density incredible 👏🏼

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, LeBerry said:

Hey man, I had exactly the same with removing my final scab on day 10 like on your last picture. The hair grew back! The first days you can't touch the grafts because they are looking for bloodsupply, at the point where you are allowed to remove the scabs they should already have done so and by removing some accidental hairs, you do not remove the graft entirely i.e. the potential for new hair to grow out. The only thing is that you might have ''removed'' the chance for these say +- 30 grafts to be early growers, and even that will not make for any difference with them being only 2% of your total graft count.

The work looks very clean! Congratulations on making the step.

@LeBerry Thank you for the reply. That’s reassuring 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1 Month + 1 Week post op update (37 days post op).

For anyone who is following- I will post monthly updates to track progress and assist others. I shall try and get the best photo quality possible, to accurately document the timeline and recovery for all to see. 

So far- I think I’ve shed most of the  grafts now. I am still seeing small hairs shed when I wash my hair though, these vary in sizes from say 1mm - 4/5mm (photo attached)(I assumed they would all be around the same size, growing to that length then shedding, but they have varied).

I have noticed I did suffer some shock loss on both sides of my head. The left side appears to be more effected  than the right.

For ease the photos are in the following order- 

- Front view 

- Right temple and close up

- Left temple and close up

- Donor left side with shock loss

- Donor right side with shock loss. 

I have last week had the sides shaved at the barbers down to a grade 3. So this length is grade 3 plus 1 week.

Feel free to comment and ask any questions. I’ll do my best to answer if I can. Feedback welcome. 

1E548A1E-C1C9-41DA-A0E7-2858011B3DDE.jpeg

3CB579C0-0A68-49BC-92C1-70AA784C2173.jpeg

6ACA4FCD-E543-4517-9400-3201724D9BF6.png

CD5735D8-BC4D-4F5A-AB77-125A1DA2C38C.jpeg

7919EA6B-2A3F-4BC5-B299-B602E1662C38.png

69D9B586-EB76-4F66-A0C6-4CCF8D5C3AA5.png

82217D40-7D6C-4CD1-9CB9-F96928CFDD99.jpeg

9656DC4C-58B8-40F6-81CF-E6E5A00ADA28.png

Edited by Top Cat
Spelling error amended

46 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

This is going to be a great result. Looking at the day 7 photos the recipient area seems so scabbed up. Is this a cause of concern? 

Thanks. It was quite scabbed up by day 7 and it was very dry. However, by day 10 the scabs came off pretty easy following the post op care instructions so I wasn’t that concerned at the time.

In regards to your question- I don’t know the answer, whether having more scabbing than usual would effect any final result per se to be a cause of concern.

Hopefully someone with far more knowledge and experience that reads this, will answer that question. 

I followed the post op care and there was no bleeding at any point from the scabs, so I don’t think any grafts were lost. So I don’t think it would effect any final result, but I am no expert.