Close to booking my first surgery.. Need opinions. (pics included)

If you're doing FUT, I would go for Hasson & Wong who live in Vancouver. They're honestly my pick for the best price and arguably the best work. Many people consider them a top 5 FUT clinic though they are moving away from FUT due to them believing FUE is just superior. 

Who have you even contacted so far anyway? Or is it just Dr. Diep and Dr. Cooley? 

edit: nevermind looks like you decided on dr. cooley

Edited by deeznuts

7 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

If you're doing FUT, I would go for Hasson & Wong who live in Vancouver. They're honestly my pick for the best price and arguably the best work. Many people consider them a top 5 FUT clinic though they are moving away from FUT due to them believing FUE is just superior. 

Who have you even contacted so far anyway? Or is it just Dr. Diep and Dr. Cooley? 

edit: nevermind looks like you decided on dr. cooley

I considered H&W and had a consult. They recommended the most grafts (4000-4500) and were the most expensive (around 20k for FUT & 30k for FUE based on the graph recommendations). My two choices came mainly from to wanting to stay in the US. 

1 minute ago, hotrod999 said:

I considered H&W and had a consult. They recommended the most grafts (4000-4500) and were the most expensive (around 20k for FUT & 30k for FUE based on the graph recommendations). My two choices came mainly from to wanting to stay in the US. 

Wow. 4k is higher than I would have guessed but I got a similarly high recommendation at first before they revised the number down a bit to maybe 3k. They've got some examples of lower norwoods where they put in like 4k grafts and the results are insane but obviously it's also using a ton of grafts. H&W try to dense pack a bit more due to how they operate but you could always ask for a lower density. I doubt they'll say no. 

Any reason you're staying in the US? Vancouver is right on the border so it's not like you're going out of the way.

Cooley is well regarded by his peers. I was personal friends with a HT surgeon, and he chose Cooley for his own procedure, Technically very competent---and that is what you want because your procedure looks pretty straight forward--improve hairline and close temples. I also think you are making wise decision with FUT---can always FUE later if need be. Your hair will continue to look very youthful for many years to come, and you will be able to put hair concerns aside. Good decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're pretty much the exact same patient type.  I also come from a family of high hairlines (not quite as high as yours) and have no balding in either side of family, and hid it with the exact hairstyle you had.  If you look at my thread, my result has been going very well so far.  You should have an absolutely amazing result if the surgeon does his job well, since your donor will be immaculate, and you don't have to worry about future loss.

Edited by Fue3361

Check out my journey here:

On 12/12/2021 at 7:17 PM, SadMan2021 said:

well to be fair I have seen bad results from Dr. Diep on this forum, and even from Dr. Konior who is undoubtedly the #1 HT doc in the world. Dr. Diep could be considered downright controversial and reckless depending on who your asking (particularly with how he does the donor area). 

There is always a chance something can go wrong, its just the better the doc is the less of a chance there is. 

Regarding your naturally high hairline, I would perhaps move it down ever so slightly, but wouldn't make it significantly lower than you've ever naturally had it. You know your naturally high hairline frames your face as nature intended, with a much lower hairline, perhaps the HT could technically go off great, but your face might be framed wrong. 

That's the only reason I think 2500-3000 is overkill. Its overkill for keeping your hairline in place and just filling in the temples. But if you are lowering the hairline perhaps its a good #. Its a large amount either way idk. 

I disagree, If I was him, I'd lower it quite a bit.  Just because nature intended it to be high doesn't mean it's the ideal height.  But a good surgeon usually has good methods for designing hairline height and will work with him accordingly to his other proportions.

As for clinic, personally I wouldn't go with Dr. Diep just because some of the bad results I've seen from him.  If it was my hair, and I was adamant on doing it somewhere local (or close to local), I think H&W is where I'd go.  But yeah, their price is pretty insane.  

That said, I honestly think 4k+ grafts would give a better result than 3k grafts (albeit more expensive).  My forehead reduction was quite a bit smaller than what I assume you'd want, and I had it super dense packed and they used 3.3k grafts.  Since you don't really have to fear any balding, I see nothing wrong with just going for as much of a home run as you can get.

I did mine in Brazil, but that's a bit controversial and wouldn't recommend it since this forum doesn't have any cases with the Dr. I used.

Edited by Fue3361

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 11:36 PM, hotrod999 said:

Just checked out your thread & you got amazing results! I decided on going with Dr. Cooley a few weeks ago, looking forward to it! 

Awesome mate, I look forward to following your journey!

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures in the first post, i can understand the desire to lower the hairline and that will definitely take a lot of grafts to do and having the right density to stand up for the long term. 

A lot of individuals also forget the importance of the Frontalis muscles in deciding where to place the frontal hairline. So when you basically wrinkle your forehead, you can see a natural point where going below that is probably going to cause you issues from an aesthetic PoV too imo. 

Eugenix have a great video on their YouTube channel about hairline positioning and how it's best chosen. 

Everybody is an individual and whilst some are born with high hairlines, if the Frontalis allows, you could get away with it and there's others who must keep it higher. That's just natural and generally there's other factors in play to ensure something frames your face well. 

• Like 1