Dr. Pittella • Norwood 7, Large head, Poor donor, Thin Hair: Come and see (WET)

On 9/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, Dr. Felipe Pittella said:

Asked him and he just sent me these pictures from last week. 

So this is a 2 and a half years update. Tell me what you think about it ☺️

7957AB84-F488-4482-B687-8A4424A19735.thumb.jpeg.721030f09fabf2632a3cec2cdbb70774.jpeg91300E8A-80DF-4D1B-945B-711B08C9EABF.thumb.jpeg.3b82ed9784ca6b9c30a8eb2e0189fd65.jpeg42D8A44A-E2BE-4E61-8089-6F449E2DEAB7.thumb.jpeg.cbf0621406fc9ea337df3cfd81bdef3d.jpegAD22BC73-8558-4683-8424-DBC18AEA065F.thumb.jpeg.648eba3c5184b40fc55d0a0d9555034f.jpeg

And this one is only after the one procedure?

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@Dr. Felipe Pittella That is the best result we all would have seen for someone who is norwood 7...over harvesting the donor in such an artistic way would help get more grafts and even make the overall density looks better..plz post results of the follow up surgery as well..😊

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Great work

Seeing the photos I have a few questions. How do you distinguish nw6 from nw7? He looks more like a 6 to me as his sides and crown don’t dip all that low.

If you were able to extract 8k grafts, and have his donor area still look thick when it’s grown out, in what sense did he have a weak donor?

What I particularly appreciate about this is the drs willingness to go to the very edge of the donor and harvest as much as possible, with the goal of homogenising the donor with the recipient. I’ve always thought this was a good idea for high Norwoods. Depleting the donor to the point it looks thinner doesn’t sound like the nicest idea, but sometimes it’s either that or the recipient, and I know I’d rather the recipient be as thick as the donor than have a clear demarcation between the two, with the donor being thicker. 

also appreciate dr Pitella’s clear passion for the craft and good communication on the forum, I would consider going to him for surgery myself. Clearly a rising star.

Now I’m curious what the patient has done for his latest surgery. Did he densify the crown? Lower the hairline perhaps? Maybe some temples? Hopefully find out soon

Edited by Rafael Manelli

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Seeing the photos I have a few questions. How do you distinguish nw6 from nw7? He looks more like a 6 to me as his sides and crown don’t dip all that low.

It's always a bit subjective and everyone has different balding patterns, so it's not always easy to pinpoint a specific NW level on everyone. In this particular case, if you look at him from the front it does appear that he had high sides, but when you see his side view that's when you can really see how low the sides have dipped. I've seen some other patients be labeled by clinics as NW 7 when they are clearly not, but I think this person can be labeled a NW 7 in my opinion.

image.png.610e9fce3b70a6953d0c9d3a72e39a82.pngimage.png.33cc8f18d43b776482c062f1c9a5f8fd.png

image.png.b287a72e28a29602922dedc57857a1fe.pngimage.png.33dc538ed886991b4df8dafa218cc331.png

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

47 minutes ago, Joseph James said:

That is an amazing result, and NO FINASTERIDE. The patient must be thrilled.

Finasteride is kind of pointless when there’s nothing left to save. All his DHT prone hairs are already destroyed. Unless he develops the dreaded donor thinning BUPA, he should be okay 

8 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Finasteride is kind of pointless when there’s nothing left to save. All his DHT prone hairs are already destroyed. Unless he develops the dreaded donor thinning BUPA, he should be okay 

I've heard that most surgeons prefer patients are on finasteride to thicken the donor hair.

Just now, Joseph James said:

I've heard that most surgeons prefer patients are on finasteride to thicken the donor hair.

They prefer them to be on fin to save the natives in the recipient and prevent further loss. It only thickens the donor in those rare cases where androgenic alopecia affects the donor too, aka BUPA

11 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

They prefer them to be on fin to save the natives in the recipient and prevent further loss. It only thickens the donor in those rare cases where androgenic alopecia affects the donor too, aka BUPA

I've heard dht can eventually thin the donor hair as well. There's lots of conflicting information out there.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, Dr. Felipe Pittella said:

Asked him and he just sent me these pictures from last week. 

So this is a 2 and a half years update. Tell me what you think about it ☺️

7957AB84-F488-4482-B687-8A4424A19735.thumb.jpeg.721030f09fabf2632a3cec2cdbb70774.jpeg91300E8A-80DF-4D1B-945B-711B08C9EABF.thumb.jpeg.3b82ed9784ca6b9c30a8eb2e0189fd65.jpeg42D8A44A-E2BE-4E61-8089-6F449E2DEAB7.thumb.jpeg.cbf0621406fc9ea337df3cfd81bdef3d.jpegAD22BC73-8558-4683-8424-DBC18AEA065F.thumb.jpeg.648eba3c5184b40fc55d0a0d9555034f.jpeg

Quite a transformation. Brilliant result by Dr Pitella!

• Moderators
On 2/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, Joseph James said:

I've heard dht can eventually thin the donor hair as well. There's lots of conflicting information out there.

I have a lot of thinning throughout the entire donor area, so it does happen to some people. 

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Joseph James said:

Are you on finasteride?

I was on it a long time ago for about 11 years, but I was still thinning, although probably slower than I would have been without it. Being a NW 7 and no useable scalp donor left I knew I needed to use a lot of body hair and Finasteride was thinning my body hair, so I stopped using it. I’ve since had over 6500 body grafts transplanted to my scalp. I will never go back on Finasteride because at this point it wouldn’t be worth thinning out the body hair grafts that were transplanted to try to improve the natural scalp hair. 

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

I was on it a long time ago for about 11 years, but I was still thinning, although probably slower than I would have been without it. Being a NW 7 and no useable scalp donor left I knew I needed to use a lot of body hair and Finasteride was thinning my body hair, so I stopped using it. I’ve since had over 6500 body grafts transplanted to my scalp. I will never go back on Finasteride because at this point it wouldn’t be worth thinning out the body hair grafts that were transplanted to try to improve the natural scalp hair. 

Interesting. Thanks for your reply.

If you have photos I'd be interested to see them. Also, who was your doctor, if you don't mind me asking?

• Administrators

You’re a good example of how medications may not work if you have an extreme sensitivity to DHT. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Very interesting case. You would benefit a lot by the use of oral minoxidil because it'll increase the diameter of your body-hair and therefore the diameter of the transplanted grafts. Helping your future HT and also your performed ones.

• Like 2