Dr. Pittella • Norwood 7, Large head, Poor donor, Thin Hair: Come and see (WET)

4 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@Dr Pittella I take it from the break down no scalp hair was harvested? Do you know how many of the chest grafts didn’t survive? It’s an incredible result! 

7815 scalp hairs, 3276 Beard & 1065 chest hairs ! Total = 12156 🤩

• Haha 1

I think its incredible how you were able to extract 7815 from what was considered to be a poor donor area. 

Can you go into a bit of detail with the forum what your extraction pattern technique involves, and how you were able to execute this? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SLA said:

Wonderful!!! What percentage of the donor area did you extract? I am assuming it was well over than 40%, no?

Sure it was. Maybe even over 50%. Actually I do not always rely on a very rigid surgical plan ruled by numbers and percentages. I'd rather make some of my decisions, specially on very difficult cases, based on some subjectives standards. Those are such as "color" of the remaining hair in donor; impression of homogeneity between donor and bald areas; impression of the volume of hair that I may achieve after covering an area with some density (hipotetcaly comparing with another density) and so on. 

Although there is described some mathematical formulas to try to calculate this ("coverage value" or "hair coverage index"). IMO Those are values that cannot be precisely calculated so I may trust also in some kind of "artistic feeling"/subjective judgment... 

I understand this may sound controversial though.

Idk if I made myself clear... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SLA said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is advantage of FUE in that one can 'over-harvest', yet if homogenized it looks 'normal' and scarring is prevalent, a good SMP artist can usually conceal well.  

That is correct. Although I've never needed SMP for my FUE pacients donor area (maybe because of punch size or only good healing from my pacients) I would recommend if scarring was visible. What I DO NOT recommend is SMP for the bald area. I believe bald area must be covered with hair, not ink. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SLA said:

How do get to know more about you such as years in the business, who trained you, how to have a consultation, etc?

My early masters were Dr Roberto Trivellini and Dr Marcelo Pitchon. After some years I've developed my own ways to optimize the surgeries. 

I need to update my profile. Melvin is really asking me my bio. I'll soon update it. 

To schedule a consultation Whatsapp +55(27)98119-0577 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Do you know how many of the chest grafts didn’t survive? Also how far apart were each of the three surgeries carried out? It’s an incredible result! 

This pacient came from Spain, so I had to plan the 3 procedures according to his travels. When he first came to Brazil, we did 2 FUE (6 weeks apart) and the other one 10 months later. 

About the chest grafts, I can't tell you precisely. The fact is that if the technique is performed properly, and there is no accidents in the post op (graft avulsion or infection), there is no reason why the grafts should not grow. Chest grafts indeed have a very poor coverage value... But in a case like this, there was no other option. BTW, this pacient asked me not to harvest grafts from noble beard areas (face, mustache etc), so I only had left the neck area (fortunately it was "enough"). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Additionally, what is extraordinary about this case is the patient hair caliber seems pretty fine.

Masterful work! He would have been turned away by 99% of clinics.

…and the fact that he still has plenty of beard donor if he wanted to use is also amazing to think there is more density that could be added if desired.

• Like 3

Some surgeons won’t harvest more than around 40% of scalp donor as they are concerned as to how the donor region will look over time since hair gets naturally thinner as we age.

Any thoughts on this Dr. Pittella?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Felipe Pittella said:

The objective was to intentionally lower the density of the donor area beyond the 'recommended' limit in order to get a uniformity/homogeneity in the areas i've covered.

Great to see surgeons like yourself and Dr. Zarev going in this direction: if the characteristics are good, more of the donor area can be harvested and can still be esthetically pleasing if the harvesting is done uniformly.

I see an opportunity here for tech innovation in the industry: HD cameras and AI showing surgeons the specific grafts to take while maintaining homogeneity across the entire donor area. 

• Like 4

Also interesting, Dr. Pittella  that you don’t think SMP in recipient area is a good idea. I have seen HT patients get ‘density treatments’ in recipient area with SMP with excellent results.

I’m curious to know the reasons for your thoughts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, SLA said:

Also interesting, Dr. Pittella  that you don’t think SMP in recipient area is a good idea. I have seen HT patients get ‘density treatments’ in recipient area with SMP with excellent results.

I’m curious to know the reasons for your thoughts.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Ryan Rap said:

Would also like to know why you do not recommend SMP to add density to top of head? Great result by the way! 

sorry to take so long to answer. Why I do not like SMP in recipient area: my thoghts are if a patient is looking for a HT he wants real hair to cover the baldness, natural hair. He wants his own hair back. And that is possible even in the most advanced classes of norwood. Of course the higher the class, more grafts are going to be needed. SMP may give a good "density" effect in a picture, but pacient wont have the 3D effect in reality and also won't have the feeling of volume when he combs it with his hand.

PS: are there 'impossible' cases? Yes there are. But especially on those cases, SMP is not even going to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 4:52 AM, Curious25 said:

I think its incredible how you were able to extract 7815 from what was considered to be a poor donor area. 

Can you go into a bit of detail with the forum what your extraction pattern technique involves, and how you were able to execute this? 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:17 AM, Dr. Felipe Pittella said:

Maybe even over 50%. Actually I do not always rely on a very rigid surgical plan ruled by numbers and percentages. I'd rather make some of my decisions, specially on very difficult cases, based on some subjectives standards. Those are such as "color" of the remaining hair in donor; impression of homogeneity between donor and bald areas; impression of the volume of hair that I may achieve after covering an area with some density (hipotetcaly comparing with another density) and so on. 

Although there is described some mathematical formulas to try to calculate this ("coverage value" or "hair coverage index"). IMO Those are values that cannot be precisely calculated so I may trust also in some kind of "artistic feeling"/subjective judgment... 

I got literally to the limits of the donor area: to the limit next to bald area and neck, to the limit of the remaining density in the donor.
The objective was to intentionally lower the density of the donor area beyond the 'recommended' limit in order to get a uniformity/homogeneity in the areas i've covered.

I think this quotes may answer your question. Sorry for late reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Felipe Pittella said:

sorry to take so long to answer. Why I do not like SMP in recipient area: my thoghts are if a patient is looking for a HT he wants real hair to cover the baldness, natural hair. He wants his own hair back. And that is possible even in the most advanced classes of norwood. Of course the higher the class, more grafts are going to be needed. SMP may give a good "density" effect in a picture, but pacient wont have the 3D effect in reality and also won't have the feeling of volume when he combs it with his hand.

PS: are there 'impossible' cases? Yes there are. But especially on those cases, SMP is not even going to help.

Thanks for the response and I agree however I and others on this forum have seen cases in which decent density is added to the recipient area with real hair and SMP is added additionally to make it look very dense.

• Like 1