[29M, NW3] 2500-2700 grafts recommended by Eugenix. Possible without Min/Fin?

Before I begin, I would like to thank this incredible forum for it's immense wealth of knowledge and diverse experiences. Even being a silent spectator has been great learning journey. Talking about journeys -  I've thoroughly enjoyed the excellent write-ups from @MazAB  @paddyirishman  @rishibostonian  @Fluffhead, @Wandererind  (Just to name a few) which eventually played a crucial part in deciding to go for a HT. Special Thanks to @Melvin- Moderator for the recent Instagram live with the doctors from Eugenix, India  - It was very detailed & insightful.

My Background: I have been steadily losing hair from the age of 16 to the point that my hairline has receded quite a lot. I'm 29 (almost 30) now & at a NW grade 3 of baldness. My curly hair helps hide the receded hairline a bit & I had been ok with that up until last year.

Eugenix consultation experience:

• I found this clinic while foraging through the amazing hair transformation stories on this forum. IMO Eugenix is one of the most professional clinics out here in India in terms of communication and business ethics. I love the fact that the doctors here look at HT from an artistic perspective which is very rare in this industry.
  • Since mid last year, I had been dabbling with the idea of a HT and have been in touch with the clinic since then. I never faced any delays from them in answering the numerous questions I've thrown at them. Both Dr. Arika and the consultant I'm working with, have been nothing but patient;

Recent Evaluation from Eugenix: 2500 - 2700 grafts on front scalp and Oral finasteride for the rest of the regression.

Challenge: I tried Minoxidil when I was consulting with a Doctor from BLR, India. Tried it for 4 weeks. Had minor side effects like migraine and increased palpitations. Post this, we decided to discontinue using Min. Unfortunately, finasteride didn't work for me either. Some side effects cropped up between the 45 - 50 day mark and I decided to stop it completely. It's been close to 6 months I'm off Fin.

What are my options going forward?

Option A) Try getting back on oral finasteride again before going for a Hair transplant to see if I'm responding to the medication w/o side effects.

• This option was suggested by the consultant from Eugenix itself.  They were completely transparent in communicating that Oral finasteride is the only option to save the existing hair before or after the HT and my side effects were most probably due to over-thinking (may or may not be true). As per the consultant, results from topical fin are not yet proven when compared to oral medication.
  • How long should I be on Fin this time if I take this route?
  • To be honest, I'm a bit taken aback by this and my enthusiasm about the transplant has taken a hit.

Option B) Go ahead with the surgery without taking oral Fin

• This is a pretty risky option in my opinion. The consultant explained that I might end up losing the existing hair in a year or 4 post HT - which might be true and can't be predicted.

Any thoughts and opinions are more than welcome. I would love to know if someone has been in the same boat as me.

N.B. Please excuse my writing flow. 

• Administrators

Can you post some pictures? Have you tried topical fin?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

55 minutes ago, No_time_to_dye said:

Before I begin, I would like to thank this incredible forum for it's immense wealth of knowledge and diverse experiences. Even being a silent spectator has been great learning journey. Talking about journeys -  I've thoroughly enjoyed the excellent write-ups from @MazAB  @paddyirishman  @rishibostonian  @Fluffhead, @Wandererind  (Just to name a few) which eventually played a crucial part in deciding to go for a HT. Special Thanks to @Melvin- Moderator for the recent Instagram live with the doctors from Eugenix, India  - It was very detailed & insightful.

You're welcome. Just paying it forward in smallest ways.

56 minutes ago, No_time_to_dye said:

This is a pretty risky option in my opinion. The consultant explained that I might end up losing the existing hair in a year or 4 post HT - which might be true and can't be predicted.

I think there are a bunch of folks here who are NOT on Fin including @Melvin- Moderator and @Zoomster who can guide you. However, have you tried all options to understand (is it nocebo effect?) and minimize Fin side effects (Microdosing, alternate days etc?). I believe there is no other medication that exists that's as effective as Fin (citation needed)

58 minutes ago, No_time_to_dye said:

How long should I be on Fin this time if I take this route?

I think the answer is forever?

58 minutes ago, No_time_to_dye said:

As per the consultant, results from topical fin are not yet proven when compared to oral medication.

I'd probably rephrase and say it hasn't been proven empirically with a large sample size; and backed by scientific studies and FDA approval like Oral Fin has. In this forum you'll find so many examples of topical fin (and variations with min, dut etc mixed) working really well for people. @mustang comes to mind and so does a bunch of posts from Dr Wesley.

2 hours ago, rishibostonian said:

You're welcome. Just paying it forward in smallest ways.

I think there are a bunch of folks here who are NOT on Fin including @Melvin- Moderator and @Zoomster who can guide you. However, have you tried all options to understand (is it nocebo effect?) and minimize Fin side effects (Microdosing, alternate days etc?). I believe there is no other medication that exists that's as effective as Fin (citation needed)

I think the answer is forever?

I'd probably rephrase and say it hasn't been proven empirically with a large sample size; and backed by scientific studies and FDA approval like Oral Fin has. In this forum you'll find so many examples of topical fin (and variations with min, dut etc mixed) working really well for people. @mustang comes to mind and so does a bunch of posts from Dr Wesley.

I'm 100% open to a possibility of it being a Nocebo effect. I am visiting a local dermatologist tomorrow to discuss more on this. Alternate days of medication is something that I haven't tried yet. Microdosing would be 0.2 mg, right?

Will check posts of the folks you recommended. Thanks for the help.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, No_time_to_dye said:

Have posted the pictures Melvin. I haven't tried the topical finasteride yet. I plan on getting a prescription soon.

I would definitely give the topical a try, it may be nocebo if you didn’t notice sode effects till past a month.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi guys just to clarify I actually do take finasteride ..every Monday Wednesday and Friday ..I get it in 5mg pill form ( Proscar) and cut it into 4 pieces with a pill cutter ..= 1.25 mg each quarter...i guess this is considered microdosing and to date ive experienced no sides to speak of.

I picked up 2 years supply of Finasteride 1mg pill format  at Eugenix when I was there a couple of weeks ago ..I’ll be switching to most probably 1 mg every MWF when my current stash of Proscar runs out ...

I wish you well 

Z

@No_time_to_dyethanks for sharing your journey in the early stages. Best way to leave no stone unturned by the time you pull the trigger on having the procedure done. 

Definitely consider micro dosing on fin in conjunction with topical fin. You cover all basis that way and are much less likely to experience the side effects. 

You've chosen the right clinic for sure. Have you booked a date yet?

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would definitely give the topical a try, it may be nocebo if you didn’t notice sode effects till past a month

Thanks for the recommendation Melvin. I've been taking oral Finasteride 1mg every other day. It's been 45 days now and I'm not facing any side effects.

I would connect with Dr. Arika after my HT to get started on the topical + oral (EOD) regime.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:00 PM, MazAB said:

@No_time_to_dyethanks for sharing your journey in the early stages. Best way to leave no stone unturned by the time you pull the trigger on having the procedure done. 

Definitely consider micro dosing on fin in conjunction with topical fin. You cover all basis that way and are much less likely to experience the side effects. 

You've chosen the right clinic for sure. Have you booked a date yet?

Sure thing mate! I'm doing oral fin EOD and it's working out so far.

And yes! I'm scheduled to undergo the HT on 2nd Jan. Super excited but super nervous as well.