Creatine & Finasteride

Hey guys, 

A question for the forum. Is it fine to take creatine (recommended 5g dosage) along with Finasteride? I’ve been taking Fin daily for over 2 and half years now and recently started Creatine. 

Within the past couple of months I’ve seen a real positive effect through adding the supplement to my whey protein shake. The gym is important to me but of course I would never want to compromise my hair in the long run. The attached photo was around 3/4 weeks since taking it and feel it’s the best I’ve ever looked physically.

My advisor at the clinic said it’s fine to add the supplement but would be great to get your opinions.

Thanks Craig 

3FED81AE-5105-40BF-AAE4-26DB4DDCBADB.jpeg

Edited by Craig2412

There isn't a problem/contraindication in taking creatine with finasteride specifically, no. So you're fine to take the two together - everyone gets creatine in daily from meat etc, you're just getting a fair bit more through direct supplementation. 

As far as creatine causing hair loss in general, the data isn't the best from what I can tell. But it may potentially exacerbate it via an increase in DHT levels.

I think you'll be absolutely fine to be honest, but I personally don't use it as I don't really like to take any risks in terms of potentially worsening the progression of MPB, even if unlikely. Not to mention that the benefits are minimal in the first place and it's not really going to make much of a difference in terms of gains in the gym either way. 

Here's a good video so you can decide for yourself: 

• Like 1

Thanks @JDEE0

Your feedback is much appreciated and just watched the video. I can totally understand your point about not taking any risks. I have a feeling I might stop it and try to push my diet more instead as I gained around 3kg since stating it.

There seems to be no clear evidence either way so far barring the small study from 2009 I think it was.

Edited by Craig2412

No worries mate, I don't really think it will cause any issues in reality, especially being on fin.

You could just keep taking it if you're enjoying its effects and keep an eye on your hair - just discontinue if you feel anything negative is happening as a result of it. 

Yeah, the 3kg will just be an increase of water retention within your muscles. You're looking good anyway mate, so just keep up with whatever you're doing training wise either way and you'll be fine creatine or not. 

Great hair, great physique. JDEE nails the creatine and dht connection, although I’m not convinced either that it’s entirely detrimental, especially since you are on fin anyway. Your body secretes enough creatine, personally don’t see why you need it, you have a lot of size as is and it could be causing some water retention.

have you had a ht? I don’t recognize much loss in that photo 

• Administrators

Based on what Dr. Charles said about TRT, he feels that fin is enough to inhibit DHT for most, but it comes down to your sensitivity to the androgen. For example, if you’re a guy with aggressive hair loss, probably not a good idea. If you’re a guy with minor hairline recession and everything else in tact and healthy, fin is probably enough to inhibit DHT from affecting your hair. It really is dependent on the individual.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Cheers fellas really appreciate the responses. A lot to think about it. I do personally feel creatine has had a positive impact since I’ve started using it (look a little more bigger/bulky) so maybe a case of carrying on as I am and if I do notice any slight negative towards my hair I’ll stop straight away. 

@TorontoMan yes mate I had my hair transplant early 2019. My hair has improved  massively since then, that’s why I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts so I don’t ruin it. 

74F1D7A1-42BB-4587-A296-3936AFFD8D5E.png

Edited by Craig2412

• Administrators

I would continue to take it, and monitor your hair loss. Take weekly photos dry and wet, if you don’t notice a difference continue on it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 hours ago, Craig2412 said:

Cheers fellas really appreciate the responses. A lot to think about it. I do personally feel creatine has had a positive impact since I’ve started using it (look a little more bigger/bulky) so maybe a case of carrying on as I am and if I do notice any slight negative towards my hair I’ll stop straight away. 

@TorontoMan yes mate I had my hair transplant early 2019. My hair has improved  massively since then, that’s why I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts so I don’t ruin it. 

74F1D7A1-42BB-4587-A296-3936AFFD8D5E.png

Wow what a difference. Did your hair get to this point before finasteride ?

& my opinion is to just stay off creatine. If it has any chance of ruining your hair then I don’t see the point 

Edited by TorontoMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

& my opinion is to just stay off creatine. If it has any chance of ruining your hair then I don’t see the point 

It’s been a huge difference, so much has changed in the last few years for the better. Yes that was my hair before Fin. I only started fin around 6-8 weeks prior to my procedure. 

Thanks for the advice I’ve been thinking about it a lot since I created this thread and pretty sure I will come off it. I care way more about my hair over the positive effects of creatine. 

13 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

It’s been a huge difference, so much has changed in the last few years for the better. Yes that was my hair before Fin. I only started fin around 6-8 weeks prior to my procedure. 

Thanks for the advice I’ve been thinking about it a lot since I created this thread and pretty sure I will come off it. I care way more about my hair over the positive effects of creatine. 

Yeah I think it’s a good call, it honestly doesn’t look like something you even need, you’ve built a great body. Keep on moving forward 💪🏻💪🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Based on what Dr. Charles said about TRT, he feels that fin is enough to inhibit DHT for most, but it comes down to your sensitivity to the androgen. For example, if you’re a guy with aggressive hair loss, probably not a good idea. If you’re a guy with minor hairline recession and everything else in tact and healthy, fin is probably enough to inhibit DHT from affecting your hair. It really is dependent on the individual.

Very interesting Melvin, so let me ask you a question then, I’m part of the minor hairline recession(I mean I was) so are you saying that for some people a reduction of only 40% of scalp dht would be enough to completely stop hair loss caused by dht? 

thanks 

40 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

I have to agree with him, it’s just not worth it. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’ve sent out a request to Dr. Charles, he’s a surgeon who’s into lifting himself, he’s been working with bodybuilders and athletes. Should hear back next week stay tuned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

I would have thought if there is any such minimal elevation in your levels of DHT from creatinine, the finasteride will be enough to keep on top of it. 

MPMD did a video with some steroid users who also stacked finasteride, and they were fine hair wise - obviously we don’t know if they are genetically predisposed to hair loss, I think he himself is a pretty big steroid user however and IS a hairloss sufferer, and his finasteride usage seems to be keeping him above the water at the moment. 

38 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Yeah I think it’s a good call, it honestly doesn’t look like something you even need, you’ve built a great body. Keep on moving forward 💪🏻💪🏻

Thanks bro appreciate it. You too mate good luck for the future 😊

1 minute ago, Curious25 said:

I would have thought if there is any such minimal elevation in your levels of DHT from creatinine, the finasteride will be enough to keep on top of it. 

MPMD did a video with some steroid users who also stacked finasteride, and they were fine hair wise - obviously we don’t know if they are genetically predisposed to hair loss, I think he himself is a pretty big steroid user however and IS a hairloss sufferer, and his finasteride usage seems to be keeping him above the water at the moment. 

I believe Derek doesn't cycle anymore, he did in the past (and lost a lot of ground doing so which he subsequently recovered), but just uses a reasonable TRT dose now I think. 

But yeah, for most people, fin should be able to stave off hairloss on a reasonable TRT dose that places them into the high end of the reference range. Although he does use RU on top of fin. 

In terms of actually blasting and causing various different steroids, fin won't help much, if at all, for a lot of the various compounds out there to choose from though.

26 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’ve sent out a request to Dr. Charles, he’s a surgeon who’s into lifting himself, he’s been working with bodybuilders and athletes. Should hear back next week stay tuned.

Wicked, cheers Melvin would be great to hear his take on it. I see some figures at the beginning of the YouTube video and kind of scared the life out of me regarding levels of DHT increase after 14 days on Creatine.

Edited by Craig2412

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Wicked, cheers Melvin would be great to hear his take on it. I see some figures at the beginning of the YouTube video and kind of scared the life out of me regarding levels of DHT increase after 14 days on Creatine.

He’s probably the fittest hair transplant surgeon that I know of, definitely knows his stuff when it comes to supplements and TRT. 

79A65DE7-C1B5-48AA-A91B-86B799EDE8DA.png

• Like 1

View my thread

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 10:10 PM, Craig2412 said:

Hey Mr, what did you decide to do? Did you carry on taking Creatine all ok? Or did you drop it? Curious coz i had same question today

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 1:31 PM, londonhairlossvictim said:

Hey Mr, what did you decide to do? Did you carry on taking Creatine all ok? Or did you drop it? Curious coz i had same question today

Hi @londonhairlossvictim

After the feedback on here I decided to drop it completely. Was a shame as did notice a small improvement from it but at the end of the day my hair is more important then slight gains in the gym.

Generally speaking, Creatine is a pretty good supplement.  But like you said, those 3kg you gained from it, don't expect to really gain any more.  Creatine increases how much water your muscles hold, meaning your muscles look bigger and fuller (and perform slightly better to an extent).  But once you're saturated with Creatine, it doesn't really go any higher.  So think of Creatine as a 2-3kg buffer.  You will not gain any further from it per say, and if you stop, you'll simply lose that same water weight from it.  So it's not a huge deal.

Check out my journey here:

3 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

Generally speaking, Creatine is a pretty good supplement.  But like you said, those 3kg you gained from it, don't expect to really gain any more.  Creatine increases how much water your muscles hold, meaning your muscles look bigger and fuller (and perform slightly better to an extent).  But once you're saturated with Creatine, it doesn't really go any higher.  So think of Creatine as a 2-3kg buffer.  You will not gain any further from it per say, and if you stop, you'll simply lose that same water weight from it.  So it's not a huge deal.

Yeah I was impressed with it the couple of months I used it for. Gave me a slight edge training and made me look slightly bulkier too. But it’s not a huge deal as you say, hair is much more important and not worth the risk. It’s a shame for such a popular supplement there’s not really any solid research regarding Creatine and hair loss.