Whats the Most Grafts a Doctor Can Transplant?

Was wondering whats the ballpark limit on how many grafts a doctor can transplant before problems can ensue in the scalp. There have been mega sessions where patients are subjected to huge amount of grafts in 1 procedure which sounds dangerous and unhealthy. Let me know.

There isn't a clear cut answer to this question to be honest. Some of the best in the world such as H&W regularly do over 6,000 grafts in a single day, granted they are usually FUT from what I can gather. I think the extraction method matters, with FUT you can do extremely large amounts as the trauma to the overall scalp is less. With FUE, you're punching thousands of tiny holes into the head, above a certain number and things can get tricky in terms of damaging surrounding tissues, disrupting blood supply etc.

That said, there are even some cases of FUE mega sessions from surgeons such as Zarev who harvest similar - higher even - amounts via FUE. I think generally though for most people, not going above 3500 grafts with FUE in a single session (whilst more has been done many times) is a good upper limit in which I see a lot of surgeons I personally like the work of draw the line.

Usually they dress the frontal third with this number for example and then you come back a year later for a few thousand in the crown or wherever the grafts are needed. But as I say, there are many cases of higher amounts with good results so you can't really draw any solid conclusions. 

• Like 1

If it’s FUT then yes it’s possible to do large numbers of grafts in a day. Lots of the elite clinics will do this with no issues.

With FUE a lot would be down to if it was automated or manual. I see around 2000 grafts or so with automated and then 3500 approx for automated as the more common numbers. 

The hair mills doing ridiculously high numbers in a day is the danger zone. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

If it’s FUT then yes it’s possible to do large numbers of grafts in a day. Lots of the elite clinics will do this with no issues.

With FUE a lot would be down to if it was automated or manual. I see around 2000 grafts or so with automated and then 3500 approx for automated as the more common numbers. 

The hair mills doing ridiculously high numbers in a day is the danger zone. 

Hi @JohnAC71

what would you consider a high number in a day for FUE typically seen by the hair mills?

thanks

How many grafts can be transplanted in one procedure depends on many factors.  The size of your head, current density, quality of hair, type of procedure, etc.  Let's get into some of these.

The bigger the head, the more transplants? Perhaps.  But the pattern is bigger too! So, if we consider FUT, the most  the doctor can harvest would be a strip from ear to ear.  The most conservative doctors will take a conservative width which will likely allow for minimal scarring.  A more aggressive approach would be to take a very wide strip.  Yes, more grafts, but possibly-and likely-wider scar.

Poor density, diffused thinning, would likely not yield many grafts. Here you need to start looking into the reasons why this is happening.  Perhaps a self immune system.

Hair quality.  Blond is great, Fine, very natural results.  But typically it requires more grafts to achieve density due to the fine hair.  

And to make matters worse, now there are so many newer techniques, doctors are able to accomplish great density in a single procedure.  We'll have to wait and see what comes down the pike.  

Lastly, money.  Always a concern to everyone.  Perhaps this brings up the question - not so much what is the most you can do....but how much can you afford to do?

At the end of the day - this is truly unimportant.  Concentrate on your goals, formulate a plan based on your pattern, research, visit with doctors, look at photos of results, consider medical therapy....and spend money. (I am out of breath).

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Be careful about doing these super mega-sessions...they really are not necessary IMHO.

Here's why....when there are literally thousands of incisions made to the scalp, the trauma level goes up correspondingly....as the trauma level to the scalp increases, the overall yield can decrease...so why not do several sessions at say 3000-4000 grafts max per session?

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 7/8/2021 at 2:58 PM, JDEE0 said:

There isn't a clear cut answer to this question to be honest. Some of the best in the world such as H&W regularly do over 6,000 grafts in a single day, granted they are usually FUT from what I can gather. I think the extraction method matters, with FUT you can do extremely large amounts as the trauma to the overall scalp is less. With FUE, you're punching thousands of tiny holes into the head, above a certain number and things can get tricky in terms of damaging surrounding tissues, disrupting blood supply etc.

That said, there are even some cases of FUE mega sessions from surgeons such as Zarev who harvest similar - higher even - amounts via FUE. I think generally though for most people, not going above 3500 grafts with FUE in a single session (whilst more has been done many times) is a good upper limit in which I see a lot of surgeons I personally like the work of draw the line.

Usually they dress the frontal third with this number for example and then you come back a year later for a few thousand in the crown or wherever the grafts are needed. But as I say, there are many cases of higher amounts with good results so you can't really draw any solid conclusions. 

Thanks for the replies. Ok a doctor said I'd need 3000 grafts. Does that mean he'll do all 3000 in 1 session? Or will I have this done over a few sessions? If so how many days will it take between sessions?

10 minutes ago, dtap said:

Thanks for the replies. Ok a doctor said I'd need 3000 grafts. Does that mean he'll do all 3000 in 1 session? Or will I have this done over a few sessions? If so how many days will it take between sessions?

3000 can be done in a day. Depends on method and which Dr/Clinic it is.

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

3000 can be done in a day. Depends on method and which Dr/Clinic it is.

But is it safe? According to users here 3500 is the limit to whats considered risky. 3000 is close to 3500. What do you think?

4 minutes ago, dtap said:

But is it safe? According to users here 3500 is the limit to whats considered risky. 3000 is close to 3500. What do you think?

A decent clinic then yes i believe it’s safe. Hair mills will aim to do ridiculous amounts, ethical clinics will not. 

• Like 1

If the individual performing the manual extractions is highly skilled and experienced then yes 3,000 is possible.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

20 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

A decent clinic then yes i believe it’s safe. Hair mills will aim to do ridiculous amounts, ethical clinics will not. 

6 hours ago, gillenator said:

If the individual performing the manual extractions is highly skilled and experienced then yes 3,000 is possible.

But in one session or spaced out in 2 or 3 sessions?

I do not recommend over 1800-2000 grafts for a fue session in a single day.  

too long to extract safely and you do not want your grafts out of body for too long. 

Speed extraction leaves room for more errors as the surgery is very intricate and delicate.  

ive been through this so i am talking from surgical inflicted experience. 

18 hours ago, MachoVato said:

What do you mean "session"?

Huh?? What are you talking about.

15 hours ago, Sean said:

I do not recommend over 1800-2000 grafts for a fue session in a single day.

too long to extract safely and you do not want your grafts out of body for too long.

Speed extraction leaves room for more errors as the surgery is very intricate and delicate. 

Hi sean. So a safe session of 2000 grafts should be the limit?

A doctor told me he thinks I'd need 3000 grafts. Do you think he'll do 2 sessions of 1500 grafts instead of one session of 3000 just to be safe?

17 hours ago, MachoVato said:

I'll ask again... What do you mean "session"? I don't think the word brands what you think it does.

If you dont know what "session" means then you need to do more research on hair restoration.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, dtap said:

Huh?? What are you talking about.

Hi sean. So a safe session of 2000 grafts should be the limit?

A doctor told me he thinks I'd need 3000 grafts. Do you think he'll do 2 sessions of 1500 grafts instead of one session of 3000 just to be safe?

Honestly 1500 months apart is not a bad idea to keep healing optimal and scalp safer.  

Rahal did 3016 in one day when it was scheduled originally for two.  All i know it was very long.  Lots of room for errors and when the yield and shape of hairline was not as dense as promised or outlined, then it was due to the high density in a smaller zone that caused more issues.  Honestly, I am still trying to get repaired to this day and it has really affected me negatively.  

with 1500 grafts you can safely gauge real  growth without wasting another 1500 grafts.  If it doesnt grow well then you did not waste too much nor deplete your donor and can stop safely.  If you do 3000 grafts, it can be significant hit on your donor and if it doesnt grow well then you are held hostage as you paid a lot and risked priceless grafts in the process.    This isnt a cut and dry successful procedure.  Ive spoke to thousands who went back into the chair to so call tweak or fix and etc.  most of the time they do not post so they do not break with the clinic due to funds or free repairs etc.  

out of body graft time should be kept to minimum and multiple patients should not be worked on when you have surgery.  People talk about fue fatigue but do not say a word when a doc is doing fue on you then two other strip patients simultaneously which is wrong.  Fatigue is fatigue and if you are paying thousands for a procedure then the focus should be you you but the dollars and cents matter in the end.  I am going to say it as is.  

best of luck to you and please be super careful. I do not want anyone to face what I am facing.  

On 7/15/2021 at 2:52 AM, Sean said:

Honestly 1500 months apart is not a bad idea to keep healing optimal and scalp safer. 

Rahal did 3016 in one day when it was scheduled originally for two.  All i know it was very long.  Lots of room for errors and when the yield and shape of hairline was not as dense as promised or outlined, then it was due to the high density in a smaller zone that caused more issues.  Honestly, I am still trying to get repaired to this day and it has really affected me negatively. 

with 1500 grafts you can safely gauge real  growth without wasting another 1500 grafts.  If it doesnt grow well then you did not waste too much nor deplete your donor and can stop safely.  If you do 3000 grafts, it can be significant hit on your donor and if it doesnt grow well then you are held hostage as you paid a lot and risked priceless grafts in the process.    This isnt a cut and dry successful procedure.  Ive spoke to thousands who went back into the chair to so call tweak or fix and etc.  most of the time they do not post so they do not break with the clinic due to funds or free repairs etc. 

out of body graft time should be kept to minimum and multiple patients should not be worked on when you have surgery.  People talk about fue fatigue but do not say a word when a doc is doing fue on you then two other strip patients simultaneously which is wrong.  Fatigue is fatigue and if you are paying thousands for a procedure then the focus should be you you but the dollars and cents matter in the end.  I am going to say it as is.  

Hi sean,

Appreciate the response. Would you please explain what you mean by, "then it was due to the high density in a smaller zone that caused more issues?" I dont know what you mean by this. Please explain.

So tbh I'm very scared as anyone else should be about a ht.

According to you, there are many many many people who have gone back to get their original ht fixed.. is this correct? If thats so, are you saying a ht isnt really worth the risk?

• Administrators
On 7/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, dtap said:

If you dont know what "session" means then you need to do more research on hair restoration.

There’s no need to be snooty. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.