examples of long term non finasteride transplant results

Hi all,

I've been struggling to find results of patients who have had a transplant without using finasteride for high grade baldness (over a long duration) 5-10 years. So I know what to expect

Would appreciate if someone can link me a number of examples.

Ps. Before asked I can't take finasteride/dut due to side effects either oral topical or reduced dosage. 

Thanks

You’re taking a big risk here if this is your plan. 

I realize medication is not for everyone, so understand I am sympathetic to this, but my case is an excellent example of what can happen 10 years post transplant without taking preventive meds.

@Parasol I read your entire thread there. So I'm trying to figure out what exactly happened. It seems like your entire front end/hairline area was transplanted back around 10 years ago over the course of two FUT's. Ok. Then 10 years later it looks like the transplanted hair thinned out? If that is the case I must say that is quite rare based on all I've ever seen or read about. Very unfortunate, but most people probably wouldn't have that drastic of a change in transplanted hair. I'm going to guess that your donor wasn't exactly super dense or great to begin with, and you should have never got off fin. If a person's donor hair is somewhat thin to begin with then I'd say there is a greater risk of more thinning down the road. 

I have seen some experiences around the internet but i can't recall exactly where. My opinion think that going for an hair transplant without using fina does still worth it, but one would have to plan a secon and third session in time. I think a the end baldness will still prevail but with transplant only and good planning one could navigate through his best years with some good hair and still not have a very unnatural look later in life.

It's pretty simple imo. If your donor is weak as hell by the time you're in your late 20's/30's and you have a family of NW7's, DON'T get a hair transplant. It will just end up looking like crap down the road if not right away. If you have great donor and understand the circumstances of not taking Fin and can plan for 1-2 more surgeries down the road, or maybe having one surgery and can live with using fibers and dermatch forever, then ok, maybe go for it. 

Edited by SD1984

20 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Isnt Melvin a good example? I think he's diffuse NW5 or NW6 and he mentioned in previous posts that he can't take fin

@deeznuts thanks, yes Melvins I have seen, one of the few cases posted, but even in his case it's not been over a long duration. Im really interested in how it may look over 10+years as I'm still young. 

10 hours ago, SD1984 said:

It's pretty simple imo. If your donor is weak as hell by the time you're in your late 20's/30's and you have a family of NW7's, DON'T get a hair transplant. It will just end up looking like crap down the road if not right away. If you have great donor and understand the circumstances of not taking Fin and can plan for 1-2 more surgeries down the road, or maybe having one surgery and can live with using fibers and dermatch forever, then ok, maybe go for it. 

My donor is strong I've been told and Norwood 3v at 31years old so pretty aggressive, i have a strong history of nw6. So where does that leave me.

I'm happy in doing a frontal and midscalp on transplants with a conservative hairline, but what I'm more worried about is the transplanted hair falling out, I've seen it in a few cases so I'm not sure if this is the exception or the rule.

On 6/26/2021 at 7:04 PM, SD1984 said:

Very unfortunate, but most people probably wouldn't have that drastic of a change in transplanted hair.

Dr. Wong said it is almost a certainty that the transplanted hair will thin down the road.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

15 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Dr. Wong said it is almost a certainty that the transplanted hair will thin down the road.  

By "thin" if you mean ever so slightly, then yes. Nobody will have the same density of hair they did at 75 that they did at 25. But seeing donor/transplanted hair "thin" to a drastic point to where it looks like absolute sh-t? I stand by my opinion that that's quite rare.

• Like 1

@Bobman and @Bill - Seemiller - check these two out, both 15 years + without finasteride. 

I agree with one of the above comments RE. transplanted hair thinning over time, it is a consequence that happens to even those who don't suffer from androgenic alopecia, as it is more of a case of general ageing of an organ, such as your skin - Dr Russell Knudsen explained he started finasteride because his hair wasn't as it was when he was younger, however shortly after stopped, as he identified it wasn't to do with MPB, rather general ageing. 

If you have a NW7 history in your family, and/or weak, thin hair in general - embarking on the HT route will for sure, carry higher risks. However, if no one surpasses a NW6 in your family tree, and your donor is good, you have good BHT and chest hair as a potential donor source, I think that as long as patients are reasonable with their expectations, well researched, and understand the commitment to continual surgeries, its a very feasible option. 

• Like 1