Donor Hair - What is your opinion of donor quality/characteristics?

Good afternoon!

I appreciate the resource that has been this forum over the last 6+ months of my browsing anonymously.  I am 30 years old, 31 in July.

My hair loss has, unfortunately, accelerated the last two years even while on finasteride (2.5 years) and minoxidal (6 years).  I would consider myself a norwood 3 vertex at this stage.  All of my uncles on my mother's side, and my grandfather, are bald.  My grandfather on my mother's side was a norwood 5 or 6 when he passed in 2015 at 75 years old.  I am fearful I am on the same trajectory. (My father and father's side have full heads of hair.)

As such I have scheduled a hair transplant with Dr. Konior to take place in July 2021.  

I expect my hairline and frontal zone to be the recipient of 2000-3000 grafts FUT. I doubt I will lower the hairline much, if any, in order to preserve grafts and keep a natural look as I age. (I had chosen FUT as a means for conservatism in order to preserve as much future grafts as possible for future procedures.  I am at peace with knowing I will need future hair transplants over the next 10+ years and, hopefully, we will have more preventative medication/procedures over that time to slow any loss.)

The purpose for this post, however, is to gauge my donor hair quality.  Would the experts on this forum consider my donor hair average or above average? Would my hair be considered coarse? Fine, medium, thick? 

My hair does have a natural wave and curl.  If I had to guess I'd assume it medium to thick / coarse.  However I could not find a good comparison in pictures online to gauge.  The hair on my sides like to poof out when the hair becomes long which is unflattering. 

I plan to document my hair transplant journey with Dr. Konior via my own thread when the time comes with pictures and progress.

(The pictures I've attached are under various light.  The last two are under more harsh light. I have no product in my hair. The bald circle on the back of my head is a combination of natural balding and a bad habit I had as a kid of twisting my hair.  I've had this spot on the back of my head for 10+ years. My crown has started to thin around and north of it the last 5+ years.)

Thank you all for your input and expertise!

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

While your donor pictures are slightly blurry I think it's suffice to say that your donor hair is slightly above average in terms of density. The diameter looks to be medium coarseness as well. Those two characteristics along with the natural wave make your overall donor hair very good in my opinion. In the hands of Dr. Konior you should have a very respectable result. Depending on exactly where you place the hairline I think you need closer to 3000 than 2000 to get the density you're looking for. Your hair behind looks very solid, so bear in mind that it is difficult to match density like that in one pass even from the most elite surgeons. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

BDK -

Thank you for the response! That is reassuring.

My paperwork with Konior committing to the surgery indicates a 3000 FUT procedure.  In my correspondence via email, however, he was mentioning approximately 2500 grafts being what he perceived.  That being said, after further review, the pictures I sent him were not as harsh as the two above ... I can definitely see 3000 being a more satisfying choice.  

I will keep my expectations in check for 1st surgery density.  I don't love my hairline (as my front is thinning along with deeper recession in the temples) but if my hair would stay at this level for life I would be perfectly fine.  What gives me anxiety is the constant thought in the back of my mind that my hair is getting worst.  I am the type of person that tries to make progress, daily, in every aspect in my life (gym, career, education, appearance, etc.)  Balding is really damaging as I constantly have the feeling of going backwards with my physical attraction.

I've uploaded two additional pictures with, hopefully, better lighting.  The red shirt was in Jan 2021 ... I sent this to Dr Konior for his review prior to committing to the hair transplant.  The other has a flash and was taken 10 minutes ago using my back camera on the iPhone.  It focuses more on the back of my head from my left side.

Cheers

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

From these updated pics, it is confirmed your donor is solid. A 3000 graft FUT with Dr Konior will be a fantastic result and his scars are so good you could probably keep the same length and style you have in the red shirt picture.

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Awesome. Thank you, you've made my day.

If I can keep the tapered fade that would be above and beyond my expectations.

Cheers, I plan to start another thread closer to my surgery date to have another first hand experience of Dr Konior's work.

• Like 1

@rocktitan are you getting work done on your crown as well, or has Dr. Konior commented on it at all? Curious to hear what he has said. 

Also when did you make your appt? I know in normal times Dr. Konior is a yr long wait, wondering if you got in early due to COVID, etc. 

Edited by SadMan2021

No work on my crown for this surgery.

The pictures I had sent Konior I believe understated my thinning crown. (IE I didn't send him anything under harsh light)  In his response he was quoted as saying I had "no significant thinning in the crown and he does not advocate preventive grafting, so no need to do anything at this time."

Being a realist I know it will progressively get worst the next few years.  That being said nobody can really tell the crown is thinning other than the bald spot from twirling my hair when I was younger.  Being 6'2 myself it is not as much of a concern at this time.

My next hair transplant (hopefully in 5 years ... however I have a feeling it will be less) I will see about addressing the crown with any additional work that is needed in front / middle scalp.

@SadMan2021

For your second question.

I scheduled in January 2021.  His wait was until January 2022.  However, a few days later, he reached out wondering if I wanted to take a July 2021 slot given someone had to reschedule.

I jumped on that date!

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

I will agree with the initial assessment of 3000 FUT. I’m sure if you wet your hair, the reality is further revealed. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@rocktitan Did you end up getting your surgery in July? If so, you should be growing pretty well at this point. Any update?

Gentleman -

Yes I sure did.

I hit 6 months on January 7th.  I am very pleased and I will give you guys some pictures / updates.

Dr Konior did a phenomenal job.

I can do a 3 without the scar being shown as well.  Eventually I am going to try going with a 2.

Thank you

• Like 1

Everyone,

Thank you for the patience.  I planned to post in here but I wanted to make some progress first. My surgery with Dr. Konior was on July 7th 2021.  Everything went well.  January 7th 2022 was my 6 month mark.  I feel I have seen tremendous growth and I am uncertain if it can look any better!

I am very pleased.  No complaints.  Dr. Konior is an amazing doctor and has alleviated my anxiety with hair loss. I am completely satisfied with the result as is at 6 months.

(The only problem I have now is that I will have to come off of Propecia after 3.5 years.  About a year ago I was hit with severe side effects almost out of the blue ... sexual anhedonia, etc.  I've been tapering it off over the last 6 months from 1mg, down to 0.5mg per day, now down to 0.25mg per day.  My intention is in the next 2 months get off completely and see if I can recover.  I understand my hair loss will likely accelerate which is a disappointment as I am pleased with my current state.)

Pictures are attached. (Sorry that they are not in identical light and position each time.  I took them sporadically over the course of the last 6 months.  Tried to remain consistent with dates.)

I labeled each picture with a date of when it was taken.  Order goes directly after surgery, 1 month, 2 month, 3 month, 4 month, 5 month, 6 month.

Thank you all for encouraging me to see the best! Dr. Konior.

(I am going to request my pre transplant pictures from the Dr.  I simply have not gotten around to it.)

Pic 1 - Directly After Surgery

Pic 2 - Directly After Surgery (Scar)

Pic 3 - Directly After Surgery (Scar 2)

Pic 4 - Pre Surgery

Pic 5 - Pre Surgery 2

Pic 6 - August 15th 2021 (1 month, 1 week)

Pic 7 - September 5th 2021 (~2 months)

Pic 8 - October 4th 2021 (~3 months)

Pic 9 - October 4th 2021 (~3 months)

Pic 10 - November 13th 2021 (~4 months 1 week)

Pic 11 - November 16th 2021 (~4 months, 1 week)

Pic 12 - December 13th 2021 (~5 months, 1 week)

Pic 13 - December 27th 2021 (~5 months, 3 weeks)

Pic 14 - January 3rd 2022 (~5 months, 3.75 weeks)

Pic 15 - January 7th 2022 (~6 months)

Pic 16 - January 7th 2022 (~6 months)

Pic 17 - January 7th 2022 (~6 months)

Pic 18 - January 7th 2022 (~6 months)

Pic 19 - January 12th 2022 (~6 months, almost 1 week) - Directly overhead.

Directly After Surgery .jpg

After Surgery #2.PNG

After Surgery #3.jpg

Pre Surgery 1.PNG

Pre Surgery 2.PNG

August 15 2021.PNG

September 5 2021.PNG

October 4 2021 2.PNG

October 4 2021.PNG

November 13 2021.PNG

November 16 2021.PNG

December 13 2021.PNG

December 27 2021.PNG

January 3rd 2022.PNG

Jan 7 2022 2.jpg

Jan 7 2022 3.jpg

Jan 7 2022 4.PNG

Jan 7 2022.jpg

Directly Overhead.jpg

Edited by rocktitan
  • Like 1

Thanks for updating! Your restoration looks great.  It has density and naturalness. Something that is not easy to accomplish in one go. Hopefully coming off fin won't affect your result too much. You will more than likely continue to lose behind the transplant but fin can actually help the transplanted hair remain strong as well. 

@TEXAN35 @Gatsby @JC71 @BDK081522 @Ryan Rap

Thank you all for the kind words.  It has gone better than expected.

I will likely make a new thread with this content in the "Hair Restoration Results Posted by Patients" section in order to do Dr. Konior justice and increase visibility of his work.  I wil update that thread going forward with a monthly picture until 12 months.

(BDK - Yes, I sure hope it won't but unfortunately I have to make the decision.  The side effects are very much tangible and I am fearful I am one of the few who has PFS.)