When Do Hairs Finish Popping?

I'm less than 5 months out of surgery. I know its relatively early but I've seen some people show huge development in the early stages.

My status so far is that new hairs are definitely developing and making a cosmetic difference, but only a sparse few hairs of the 2,040 that I had transplanted. There's huge gaps in the hairline and things are not dense at all. I am wondering when will all the hairs pop? Or am I showing early signs of poor growth?

Everyone is different. I was a super early grower and my hairline was completely in by 5 months. But I’ve seen others whose HT almost looked like it was a failure until around 9 months on, at which point growth really started. @Melvin-Moderatorhas a great video about slow growers and how long results can take. 

it would help if you post pictures before your HT, immediately post op, as well as today. That way we can compare them all. 

• Like 1

Pics please. While growth can and does happen from 7-12 months, you should really be seeing the blueprint/foundation/snapshot of the HT end-state by 5 months if not earlier. By 5 months, if you have large sections of your recipient area that have absolutely zero growth, I honestly would be a bit concerned. 

Of course, the official response, and what you will hear often, is that it is possible for people to have zero growth at all and then just when they lose all hope, by month 8 or 9 they miraculously have profound growth and the their initial worries are unfounded. However, I would say these late bloomer cases are really the exception rather than the rule. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi guys, its surprisingly hard to get well-positioned highly detailed selfies that captivate every minute detail of the hair transplant.

Anyway, here are two pics that I've taken today. The right side is the one that looks better in the pics, the left side is the one that looks a lot more sparse. When the hair is styled a certain way and under certain lights there is definitely a somewhat pleasing cosmetic difference, but in reality when the transplant is scrutinized it is not dense or stunning, its in fact still somewhat bare and "infantile." I'm hopping that there will be way more popping to come, I'll be a bit disappointed if not much grows.

I'm now just less than 5 months out from surgery.

**apologies for not replying here sooner.

20210506_162236.jpg

20210506_162124.jpg

Thanks. Captain Haddock its assuring to know you are experiencing the same thing.

Dr Verma I know that it takes 12 - 18 months for the final verdict, but a lot of people seem to see a lot of activity blossom between month 4 - month 7. I'm just hoping a lot more will pop, especially on my left side.

It's variable.  When our patients are edging towards being a slow grower (though at 5 months is a not considered slow...typically at the 6 month mark) we recommend they trial a PRP session to to enhance the scalp tissue environment and promote growth.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...