My FUT scar stretched

I had a FUT procedure with a reputable surgeon over a year ago. At some point, the strip scar stretched, which has caused the scar to look pretty gruesome. I’ve been in contact with the surgeon, who informed me that the stretching was likely due to genetic factors, such as excess skin elasticity. He offered to do a scar revision, with the caveat that the scar may stretch again. Obviously, given the outcome of my first strip scar, I have trepidation about returning to the same surgeon. Rather, I’ve been considering Dr. Konior for a scar revision procedure, as his FUT work always looks impeccable. However, before I proceed further, I have two questions. 

First, the surgeon who performed my FUT procedure sutured the strip wound using some kind of intricate sewing technique. Given that this technique was ineffective at preventing my scar from stretching, should I undergo a scar revision procedure with a surgeon who employs a different technique, such as closing the strip wound using staples?

Second, I was pretty diligent about my scalp exercises prior to my hair transplant. Could the scalp exercises have contributed to the excess elasticity of my scalp? If so, should I avoid scalp exercises for my scar revision? 

Thanks for your help, guys.

B8DA0301-45F4-4706-A875-92215FB09E70.jpeg

BEB1286E-2E26-4D9A-BE09-22D5BCAD0EAF.jpeg

Most of time it's just the way our body heals. There would be no guarantee that the scar will not stretch again. The scalp laxity would have actually worked in your favor rather than against. Some people are more prone to stretched scars. There was an article from Dr Bernstein on scar revisions and how he uses staples and removes most but not all at 2 weeks. He either leaves a few in longer or removes all and adds a few more for some more time. I don't recall exactly.

Instead of getting it cut open and going through the healing all over I would recommend you get FUE into the scar. You would not need many grafts maybe a few hundred and you don't have to deal with having staples in your head for 2 weeks.

I should also add that FUE into the scar will allow you to keep your hair much shorter on the sides.

Edited by deitel130

I am not a strip scar expert by my 50 cents:

- It does not look too bad

- I am not sure if stretching is the right word as it always sounds a little bit like it the patients error maybe scar growing would be better

- Depending on your overall status FUE into the scar might also worth considering

Good luck

• Like 2

• Administrators

Honestly, the surgeon is telling the truth, sometimes strip scars come down to your own physiology. If you’re concerned I wouldn’t opt for a revision, as I’m sure Konior will tell you, he cannot guarantee it won’t stretch. I would opt for FUE BHT to the scar or smp

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have had x2 FUT and unfortunately I have a stretched scar. I had it revised and it didn’t really improve it much.

Now I’m looking at grafting some Beard hair in to it. To me yours doesn’t actually look that bad. 

Have you got anymore pics of it? I cannot really see how stretched yours is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Most of time it's just the way our body heals. There would be no guarantee that the scar will not stretch again. The scalp laxity would have actually worked in your favor rather than against. Some people are more prone to stretched scars. There was an article from Dr Bernstein on scar revisions and how he uses staples and removes most but not all at 2 weeks. He either leaves a few in longer or removes all and adds a few more for some more time. I don't recall exactly.

Instead of getting it cut open and going through the healing all over I would recommend you get FUE into the scar. You would not need many grafts maybe a few hundred and you don't have to deal with having staples in your head for 2 weeks.

I should also add that FUE into the scar will allow you to keep your hair much shorter on the sides.

thank you for your input. it sounds like Dr. Bernstein is pretty savvy with respect to strip scars. do you think he would be a good option for scar revision?

with regard to having an FUE procedure to cover the scar, do you happen to know if hair grafts generally survive in scar tissue?

• Administrators
Just now, rhal22 said:

thank you for your input. it sounds like Dr. Bernstein is pretty savvy with respect to strip scars. do you think he would be a good option for scar revision?

with regard to having an FUE procedure to cover the scar, do you happen to know if hair grafts generally survive in scar tissue?

Yes, scars survive well in scar tissue, as long as the grafts are healthy. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Honestly, the surgeon is telling the truth, sometimes strip scars come down to your own physiology. If you’re concerned I wouldn’t opt for a revision, as I’m sure Konior will tell you, he cannot guarantee it won’t stretch. I would opt for FUE BHT to the scar or smp

thanks for chiming in, Melvin. do you happen to know if hair grafts survive well in scar tissue?

also, what is the benefit of doing a BHT, as opposed to taking grafts from the back of the head?

5 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I have had x2 FUT and unfortunately I have a stretched scar. I had it revised and it didn’t really improve it much.

Now I’m looking at grafting some Beard hair in to it. To me yours doesn’t actually look that bad. 

i apologize for the picture quality. I took about 100 pictures, and the pictures I’ve provided are the best ones. as you can imagine, it’s a difficult picture to take without some assistance from a third party. 

7 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I’m sorry to hear about your scar. what is the benefit of using beard hair, as opposed to head hair?

32 minutes ago, rhal22 said:

I’m sorry to hear about your scar. what is the benefit of using beard hair, as opposed to head hair?

38 minutes ago, rhal22 said:

Keep in mind sutures are a lot more comfortable in comparison to staples. My first strip was closed using sutures and I had minimal discomfort but with my second strip I had staples and tbh sleeping was uncomfortable. I slept with a neck pillow for like a month. I do think that staples are the better chose cause they don't cause strangulation of tissue nor train tracks. I had some mild train tracks from my first strip. I think in your case getting FUE is probably the better choice cause if the scar stretches again with a revision you will have gone through all the healing for no reason.

Whether sutures or staples is still preference based on surgeon and arguments on both sides but it also has a lot to do with how you heal. 

Edited by deitel130
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Keep in mind sutures are a lot more comfortable in comparison to staples. My first strip was closed using sutures and I had minimal discomfort but with my second strip I had staples and tbh sleeping was uncomfortable. I slept with a neck pillow for like a month. I do think that staples are the better chose cause they don't cause strangulation of tissue nor train tracks. I had some mild train tracks from my first strip. I think in your case getting FUE is probably the better choice cause if the scar stretches again with a revision you will have gone through all the healing for no reason.

Whether sutures or staples is still preference based on surgeon and arguments on both sides but it also has a lot to do with how you heal. 

this is really helpful. thanks again. 

you mentioned Dr. Bernstein in your earlier post, do you have any personal experience with respect to his scar revision technique?

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, rhal22 said:

thanks for chiming in, Melvin. do you happen to know if hair grafts survive well in scar tissue?

also, what is the benefit of doing a BHT, as opposed to taking grafts from the back of the head?

The benefit is you don't waste precious sclap grafts on a scar. The growth rate is good, as long as you choose a good surgeon competent in BHT.

• Like 1

View my thread

7 minutes ago, rhal22 said:

this is really helpful. thanks again. 

you mentioned Dr. Bernstein in your earlier post, do you have any personal experience with respect to his scar revision technique?

It was just based on an article I read. I don't have it handy but you should be able to find it on his site.

Edited by deitel130

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The benefit is you don't waste precious sclap grafts on a scar. The growth rate is good, as long as you choose a good surgeon competent in BHT.

that makes sense. do you happen to know of any competent BHT surgeons?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Dr Bisanga @slis someone who stands out for me ! As well as Eugenix @Abhinay Singh

Yea I second this, @DrTBarghouthi is active on this forum as well, feel free to reach out.

View my thread

14 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

@rhal22 Is it stretched everywhere or just a few places? 

Out of curiosity, how many months post op did you notice you scar stretches?

I agree with what we there's have said, beard head would be perfect for transplanting into it. 

it’s stretched the entire length of the scar. I just recently noticed that the scar was stretched, as I had been growing my hair long. I noticed it immediately upon getting my hair cut. thus, I cannot say for certain when the scar stretched. 

Edited by rhal22

Sorry to hear your situation. 

Dr Mwamba is pioneering BHT to donor areas and FUT scars - there’s a YouTube video of him performing this exact procedure on a renowned hair loss blogger that may be of interest to you. 

Wish you the best