Topical finasteride

On 1/6/2021 at 3:47 AM, TommyLucchese said:

It's not for me to even speculate, word of mouth and the studies that have been done suggest it works though

Well, studies suggest topical fin is effective at maintaining or possibly improving hair.

That said, studies of topical vs oral fin also confirm that the topical application lowers the serum DHT to the same extent as the oral version. Frankly, this means that the systemic (throughout your body) effect of topical fin should be the same as oral fin. I had sides with oral fin and have toyed with the idea of trying the topical version, but I just don't see how it is less risky when it has the same systemic hormonal impact as the pill does. 

11 hours ago, yesplease said:

Well, studies suggest topical fin is effective at maintaining or possibly improving hair.

That said, studies of topical vs oral fin also confirm that the topical application lowers the serum DHT to the same extent as the oral version. Frankly, this means that the systemic (throughout your body) effect of topical fin should be the same as oral fin. I had sides with oral fin and have toyed with the idea of trying the topical version, but I just don't see how it is less risky when it has the same systemic hormonal impact as the pill does. 

yeah to be honest I don't feel much of a difference, I still have a degree of lowness and numbness that I've had since I took Aindeem in 2018/2019. I hoped I'd have more energy and enthusiasm by now after 3 months.

Maybe it's because I've still taken some proscar over the last 3 months along with the topical - plus I've seen others say it took a year of no pills before they felt better.

I do think it's worth trying though. If you aren't currently dealing with any sides then you're more of a blank canvas and can be a better judge of topical side effects.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I can't see how topical would result in less sides than oral version: if you don't lower the serum DHT your hair follicles will get the DHT from elsewhere in your body, I don't think DHT production/circulation is localized. I am not a doctor though, but this is logical to me as oral finasteride is absorbed systemically and lowers the DHT systemically. 

If you do lower the serum DHT though, well then there are potential sides and if you don't have them with oral, then you should be good. Playing with dosages might be something feasible (and this is where topical could be better imo) but I am kinda afraid to go off label and do it.

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

5 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

I can't see how topical would result in less sides than oral version: if you don't lower the serum DHT your hair follicles will get the DHT from elsewhere in your body, I don't think DHT production/circulation is localized. I am not a doctor though, but this is logical to me as oral finasteride is absorbed systemically and lowers the DHT systemically. 

If you do lower the serum DHT though, well then there are potential sides and if you don't have them with oral, then you should be good. Playing with dosages might be something feasible (and this is where topical could be better imo) but I am kinda afraid to go off label and do it.

Precisely.

I actually am a doctor, and given the data that we do have about topical fin impacting serum/systemic DHT to a comparable extent as the oral formulation, physiologically it doesn’t make sense to me that using the topical version would eliminate the potential for adverse hormonal effects. Despite how much I wish that were the case. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yesplease said:

Precisely.

I actually am a doctor, and given the data that we do have about topical fin impacting serum/systemic DHT to a comparable extent as the oral formulation, physiologically it doesn’t make sense to me that using the topical version would eliminate the potential for adverse hormonal effects. Despite how much I wish that were the case. 

Would it not be better in the sense that it is not going through your digestive system and liver etc and is just localised. I know it can possibly be absorbed into the bloodstream but I would I thought it was a better option??

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, yesplease said:

Precisely.

I think with any medication you have to titrate the amount that would give you the best result but would give the lowest chance of side effects.   

When I place topical finasteride on my scalp I try to keep it localized to areas that are thinning only and focus on these areas.  It works out to around 0.5mg of fin every 3 days or so.  I try to subdivide my scalp Into thirds and do a third of it every 3 days.   There may be some systemic absorption from this method but I don't believe it will be the same amount as oral fin.

I understand that people have varying degrees of baldness and this may not be enough for everyone.   

Any medication you take too much of will cause side effects even over the counter stuff. 

I think the most important thing before starting topical finasteride is to spend a month or two and make a small list of what your body goes through and feels like on a day to day basis.   This way you won't attribute normal weird feelings you have to your body to the topical fin. 

Edited by johnto