How long should I wait until I begin the repair process?

Approximately 15 weeks ago I had 2000 grafts implanted via FUE.  The surgeon was well reviewed and expensive ($8/graft) but unfortunately the result at this stage has been extremely disappointing.  There is scarring on the recipient area (around the entire new hairline)/ noticeable cobblestoning/still pinkness all over the receipient area.  Growth seems ok for this stage.  I know its still early but this is not a good sign and I am almost certain I will need another procedure to repair and try to mask the damage.

My question is, how long should I wait until I start consulting a new Doctor about repairing this mess?  My guess is 12-16 months but I don't know if that is correct.  For my next procedure I will definitely be going to one of the surgeons recommended on this site such as Konior or someone similar.  Unfortinately I did not know this website existed until recently...it could have saved me from this first procedure.

I will post pictures in the next post.

• Administrators

3.5 months is WAAAAAYY too early to call it a failure. You’re still healing, the timeframe is 12 months for a reason.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I appreciate that, and it alleviates some of my concerns.  Im not worried about the growth atm, moreso the scarring, cobblestoning and rough skin.  There is a chance that my scalp heals over time and these problems are resolved on their own?

Edit: I will post pics when I get to my PC at home.

Edited by JeffHanrick

• Administrators
2 hours ago, JeffHanrick said:

I appreciate that, and it alleviates some of my concerns.  Im not worried about the growth atm, moreso the scarring, cobblestoning and rough skin.  There is a chance that my scalp heals over time and these problems are resolved on their own?

Edit: I will post pics when I get to my PC at home.

Yes, there’s a BIG chance you heal and it looks normal at 12 months. Patience is key 🙌🏼

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Here are some pics that were taken today.  To me the scarring/discoloration/rough skin/cobblestoning looks unlike most of the other photos Ive seen from this stage.  I know its possible that I am a slow healer but wouldn't the cobblestoning be due to surgeon error and therefore not something that is going to heal over time?

20201211_202554.jpg

20201211_201426.jpg

20201211_203133.jpg

20201211_200343.jpg

20201211_200236.jpg

Edited by JeffHanrick

Who was your surgeon? Are you on any medications? 
I’m about to embark on my first transplant. I have a similar looking hairline to yours. From everything I read here, months 8-9 seem to be a good place to have your successful/unsuccessful baseline. Cheers! 

14 minutes ago, Krech84 said:

Who was your surgeon? Are you on any medications? 
I’m about to embark on my first transplant. I have a similar looking hairline to yours. From everything I read here, months 8-9 seem to be a good place to have your successful/unsuccessful baseline. Cheers! 

Im on fin.  I would rather not say my surgeons name until after 9-10 months.  He was well reviewed and came recommended and was expensive.  I searched his name on here yesterday and his name came up positively a few times but he is not one that is recommended by the forum.  Unfortunately I did not know of this forum when I had my HT.

Im confident the discoloration will likely fade with time but the cobblestoning seems very bad to me and Im not quite sure how that is going to be resolved on its own?  I guess my best option would be to have another fue to cover it up and thicken the area that I just had transplanted? 

Edited by JeffHanrick

10 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Be nice to hear a Drs thoughts on this. @DrTBarghouthiwould you be kind enough to chip in here? Thanks 🙏 

Hi @JeffHanrick

It is quite early to really comment on any success or any longterm scarring/complications. Scars can take months to heal and sometimes a year before skin settles back to its near normal state. I would wait until your full growth potential takes place before considering any additional work. It would help to massage the area with some aloe vera to aid with healing further in my opinion. Do not worry now. 

• Like 7

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

You’re welcome. Again it is quite hard to judge based on photos only and with no insight as to what sort of tools/technique was used. Make sure you massage the skin rather than only applying the gel. Massaging has a better healing effect than the actual substance used. If it is simply a skin healing process then things will look normal with time. 

• Like 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
11 hours ago, JeffHanrick said:

Here are some pics that were taken today.  To me the scarring/discoloration/rough skin/cobblestoning looks unlike most of the other photos Ive seen from this stage.  I know its possible that I am a slow healer but wouldn't the cobblestoning be due to surgeon error and therefore not something that is going to heal over time?

20201211_202554.jpg

20201211_201426.jpg

20201211_203133.jpg

20201211_200343.jpg

20201211_200236.jpg

That looks perfectly normal. You’re still healing, the skin will heal, and the hair will grow. That looks like 99.9% of hair transplants at 3.5 months.

• Like 3

View my thread

• 1 month later...

I thought I would use this thread to post updates of my progress.  It has now been 5 months and two days since my procedure.  The right side growth looks good for this stage and there is no scarring on the recipient area and no noticeable grafts when looking up close.  Im happy with this side.  There were two techs that did the implanting and this tech was obviously far more skilled than the one that did the left side.

The left side is a different story.  There is poor growth so far, but I know I'm only 5 months in so I will be patient with that aspect.  The biggest concern for me is the grafts that were placed in cornrow formation.   Close to the hairline there is a very clear row of four cornrows.  I don't know if there is pitting as well, but the rows are very noticeable in person.  They aren't as easy to define with my phone camera but can still see them.

There is also still pinkness and potential scarring on the left side in the same area as the cornrow formations (again not super clear in the photos but very noticeable in person).  I guess my only option is to wait for the growth to finish and then get a new procedure to increase density to try and camouflage the cornrows/scarring?  Its very frustrating that one side looks fine and the other is so poorly done. 

Again, I will wait for the full growth before I say who the surgeon was.  I did not know of this site before my procedure, but he was well reviewed and his pictures looked like high quality.  He was expensive and seemed to be very ethical based on my discussions w him.  Suffice to say I am not happy with the result as of this point and I would not use him in the future, regardless of how this turns out.

20210119_134051.jpg

20210119_144828.jpg

20210119_133943.jpg

20210119_151124.jpg

Edited by JeffHanrick

• Administrators

You look right on track, again it takes 12 months. It’s massively improved from the last set of photos.

• Like 3

View my thread

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You look right on track, again it takes 12 months. It’s massively improved from the last set of photos.

Yes I'm most concerned with the noticeable cornrows.  My only realistic option is to hope the growth camouflages them, correct?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, JeffHanrick said:

Yes I'm most concerned with the noticeable cornrows.  My only realistic option is to hope the growth camouflages them, correct?

Once you see growth there, the only thing you will see is hair. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Give it more time.

• Like 3

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:57 PM, JeffHanrick said:

The left side is a different story.  There is poor growth so far, but I know I'm only 5 months in so I will be patient with that aspect

Every hair transplant I've ever seen (including mine) the left side of the scalp always lags behind the right side of the scalp when it comes to initial growth.  I have no idea why that is

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

I know it's incredibly frustrating but you are not even at the half way mark of your journey from this surgery. Patience is a difficult thing to maintain but as others have said you can only make an informed judgement once you've reached 12 months. All the best.

• Like 1