Spraying the head with saline solution

How often should you spray the head with the saline solution post surgery. HRBR in Dublin say you should spray it lots, like every 30 minutes if you can, for several days immediately after surgery. Dr Saifi's instructions are different though. He says you should not start spraying it until the day after surgery, and you only need to spray it 4 or 5 times a day for about 5 days.

3 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

How often should you spray the head with the saline solution post surgery. HRBR in Dublin say you should spray it lots, like every 30 minutes if you can, for several days immediately after surgery. Dr Saifi's instructions are different though. He says you should not start spraying it until the day after surgery, and you only need to spray it 4 or 5 times a day for about 5 days.

Dr Saifis instructions after care instructions are more like I’m used too. I would stick with them. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Dr Saifis instructions after care instructions are more like I’m used too. I would stick with them. 

Cool. Cheers. So I'm guessing you only sprayed once every few hours commencing the day after surgery and you ended up with good results yourself? :)

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

I have always followed whichever was my Drs after care advice. From memory that was every 30 mins/ 1 hour with my FUTs. And between every 1/2 hours with my FUEs. Most clinics vary with the after care advice. 

I see ok. So much variance :/

1 hour ago, CosmoKramer said:

Always follow your surgeons instructions with aftercare , but personally for myself, I applied the spray liberally every 30 minutes for 3-4 days maybe more, post ht.

Ok. I think I might start spraying more.

4 hours ago, Rossybop said:

Every 15 minutes according to HDC, at least in the first 2 days and then every hour or so.

8 hours ago, Rossybop said:

Put it in the bathroom and do it at least every hour and if you go for a piss that way you won't forget. I see so many people on here with big scabs on their head over 10 days after surgery because they were scared to spray. Give them a good spray but don't put the nozzle close to your head, just mist. You will notice everytime you spray it will run off red as the blood is washing away. After a couple days it will make a big difference. After my first wash on day 7 my head was perfectly healed and scab free without having to scrub. Good luck 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Richie888 said:

Put it in the bathroom and do it at least every hour and if you go for a piss that way you won't forget. I see so many people on here with big scabs on their head over 10 days after surgery because they were scared to spray. Give them a good spray but don't put the nozzle close to your head, just mist. You will notice everytime you spray it will run off red as the blood is washing away. After a couple days it will make a big difference. After my first wash on day 7 my head was perfectly healed and scab free without having to scrub. Good luck 

I've been at it every two to three hours today. If you put the nozzle too close to the head is it risky? My spray bottle is shit and water splashes out of it. Did you wait until day 7 to wash? HRBR recommend washing after 4 days but Dr Saifi says do it after 1 day. It's so confusing 😥 Do you dry your head with a towel after spraying? I haven't been drying at all, I just let it dribble off me, not sure if I should be doing that though.

16 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

I've been at it every two to three hours today. If you put the nozzle too close to the head is it risky? My spray bottle is shit and water splashes out of it. Did you wait until day 7 to wash? HRBR recommend washing after 4 days but Dr Saifi says do it after 1 day. It's so confusing 😥 Do you dry your head with a towel after spraying? I haven't been drying at all, I just let it dribble off me, not sure if I should be doing that though.

I was given a good sprayer tbh like a small salon one. So I just misted them regularly up until my first wash on day 7. By all means follow what you have been told but just keep them hydrated. Don't dry them just leave it to air dry and pat your face down where it runs off. 

Your one day wash I wouldn't physically touch them I would just lightly swill with a jug over a bath 👍🏼

• Like 1

• Administrators

I didn’t spray that in my last two procedures and I turned out fine, but always follow your instructions.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

I was instructed to spray every 2 hours. As someone else said, regular spraying for the first few days really helps the scabs come off a lot easier and sooner once you start washing your head.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, Richie888 said:

I was given a good sprayer tbh like a small salon one. So I just misted them regularly up until my first wash on day 7. By all means follow what you have been told but just keep them hydrated. Don't dry them just leave it to air dry and pat your face down where it runs off. 

Your one day wash I wouldn't physically touch them I would just lightly swill with a jug over a bath 👍🏼

I've been getting at them every 2 - hours with the salty water thus far. According to my instructions I should give myself a rinse with shampoo and water via a jug/cup now. Of course I'll be very careful if I go for a wash now. Leaving the hair to air dry is what I've been doing. Cool :)

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I didn’t spray that in my last two procedures and I turned out fine, but always follow your instructions.

You didn't spray at all? So perhaps spraying is not totally super important, but yes I'm going to do it anyway as its in my instructions.

20 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I was instructed to spray every 2 hours. As someone else said, regular spraying for the first few days really helps the scabs come off a lot easier and sooner once you start washing your head.

Cool. So its mostly to do with getting the scabs off nice and easy? :) I'm spraying every 2 - 3 hours or thereabouts.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

You didn't spray at all? So perhaps spraying is not totally super important, but yes I'm going to do it anyway as its in my instructions.

Yea didn’t spray at all, my first HT I did spray, but second and third didn’t at all. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, Rossybop said:

He may very well want his patients to wait a full day before spraying which would allow time for the scabs to develop.

Thereafter the key is to keep the grafts moist during the initial healing period....I prefer to go a full 7 days.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

46 minutes ago, gillenator said:

He may very well want his patients to wait a full day before spraying which would allow time for the scabs to develop.

Thereafter the key is to keep the grafts moist during the initial healing period....I prefer to go a full 7 days.

Interesting. Thanks for your input. How important is it to keep the grafts moist and how often would you reccomend spraying in order to achieve efficient moistness? It was impossible to spray every hour today because I was moving through airports, sitting on airplanes and then commuting home via car.

I sprayed once this morning. I sprayed once or maybe twice at the first airport. I sprayed once again at the second airport. Then I did not spray for about 4 hours, until I got home. When I got home I sprayed once then took a nap. Sprayed again when I woke up. Had dinner and sprayed again. Now I have just sprayed it again. I'll spray a few times more before I try to sleep for the night. My salty water ran out so now I just have regular water from the shower. Should a spoonful of salt to it?

If I miss a lot of spraying will my grafts dehydrate and die?

A couple of things...I personally sprayed my recipient area every 3-4 hours for the first week post-op on all of my procedures, however I used a copper peptide enriched product...many docs simply advocate the use of a saline spray....I slept through the night and then resumed spraying when I awoke each morning.

No, your grafts will not dehydrate and perish because the follicles are imbedded in the dermis layer of the scalp...what eventually dries up are the crusts above the scalpline....those are recommended to be removed approximately 10 days post-op....simply refer to your doctor's post-op care instructions for crust removal.

• Like 2

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

21 hours ago, gillenator said:

A couple of things...I personally sprayed my recipient area every 3-4 hours for the first week post-op on all of my procedures, however I used a copper peptide enriched product...many docs simply advocate the use of a saline spray....I slept through the night and then resumed spraying when I awoke each morning.

No, your grafts will not dehydrate and perish because the follicles are imbedded in the dermis layer of the scalp...what eventually dries up are the crusts above the scalpline....those are recommended to be removed approximately 10 days post-op....simply refer to your doctor's post-op care instructions for crust removal.

Cool. Thanks. Does the dermis layer of the scalp hydrate itself?

The dermis layer is where the blood supply exists and where the hair follicles get their life support.

• Like 1

Gillenator