3888 grafts with Dr Rahal

Had 3888 grafts with Dr Rahal on my frontal 1/3. The doctor mentioned I had very good donor density (above 100cm2) and laxity. I previously had 100-200 minigrafts in my hairline 13 years ago.

The haircount was:

singles - 832

doubles - 1735

triples - 1283

quads - 38

912105192_B630F71BDA7B7476AA287F5A396E0F30.jpg.thumb 622105192_1E5876A6674380751974772DC17C7F0B.jpg.thumb 522105192_46AB774402FD80E03B92DBE828C67B74.jpg.thumb 422105192_5614542C5CEB61FDD6F0E8BE363DFB22.jpg.thumb 322105192_94E9534A4484B0396A6C14E65DA5934E.jpg.thumb 222105192_DFC58471CB5FE3DB8DEB66CDC58988A8.jpg.thumb 122105192_5D0CF36C6131D1E5596C02D9673FB602.jpg.thumb

Holy jabenero jalepenos ---that's a TON of grafts icon_eek.gif ! Looks as though your going to have TRUE density when all is said & done.

congrats.

Delicately helping those fragile souls who suffer from hair loss, w/motherly nourishment & care.

Yea I was a bit shocked when Dr Rahal told me the final numbers. In the preop and online consultations he aimed for around 3000. He also told me the scar from my previously minigraft job back in 1996 was too high and he couldnt remove it.

Shamrock,

Unfortunately, sometimes previous scars are placed too low or too high and they can't be safely harvested. Thus, sometimes it's best to leave them where they are and take hair from where it's optimal.

It looks like you're going ot have an incredible result.

Are you on Propecia to help against future loss?

Best wishes,

Bill

4000 grafts in that small an area is very aggressive. He surely will have a thick full mane when all is said and done.

Shamrock, If you dont mind me asking... How old are you? Are you on med's to slow down the proccess of continual hairloss?, and did Dr. Rahal happen to mention how much donar you possibly have left?

Thanks for the comments everyone. Like I said I was surprised by the final number but Dr Rahal reassured me that with the high density in my donor area, I have a lot left for further loss if needed. I dont remember for sure, but when he was going over the specifics and post op instructions, I think told me donor density was around 140cm2. Is that even possible?? This was after 7 hours in the chair though and I cant remember everything, so I can check with Adrian and see if he can get me the exact number. During preop went went over family history of baldness, hairline design, and finally the plan was laid out for 60-65% in the the hairline and then going to 50% behind the hairline.

I am 32 and starting propecia and rogaine foam next week per Dr instructions. I had a great experience there, his techs were very accommodating and skilled. Dr Rahal even gave me and my girlfriend dinner to take back to the hotel.

Eman and Mane, thanks for the encouragement before my surgery. I ended up leaving the day after surgery and just wore the blue surgical cap. I did get a few stares in the airports, but I was never was asked to remove it. Just one guy in Ottawa airport security asked me if I was a doctor, haha

Shamrock,

150 FU/cm2 donor density is the highest I've ever seen. I must say however, according to your pictures, your donor density does not appear that thick, maybe more like 70 FU/cm2. Maybe Adrian can confirm this for us and maybe even show us some photos of the shaved strip pre or post harvest?

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Here are the facts we have from the surgery. The donor strip measured 24.3 cm after removal (little bigger pre removal).

the graft count we got was 3888 with the following breakdown of singles, 2's and 3's and 4's.

1's - 832

2's - 1735

3's - 1283

4's - 38

This puts his donor density at slightly higher than 150grafts/cm based on actual measurement and not guess work.

In general, we have seen patients with densities as low at 65 grafts/cm and ranging up to higher than 150 grafts/cm. In fact we have seen many other patients with such a high density (they don't always make it to the forum). They are rare but do exist and if one does enough surgeries the odds are we will see more.

(3888 divided by 24.3 puts him at 160 grafts per cm2)

To the other posters, just to clarify, the plan for shamrock was to graft about 3000 grafts not 3888. Our intent was not to be too aggressive but we do not throw any grafts away and wanted to utilize the total amount harvested.

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...opyID=2174&WebID=920

I'm really surprised by density. I had 45cm2 to fill, which works out at an average recipient density of 65Fu/cm2 with 2900 grafts

Our hair loss seems to be similar

Bearing in mind Dr Rahal planned with 3000 for but could harvest 3800, you can count yourself a lucky guy

I'd be very interested to follow your progress, hope you update your blog

Adrian,

Now you have me really confused. How is that you're getting the hair density of this patient without using the width measurement of the strrip in addition to the length?

Density is not determined by the number of grafts divided by the length of the strip. It's determined by the number of grafts divided by the length, then divided by the width.

For instance - if the width of the strip was 2.0 CM, density would be 3888 grafts / 24.3cm (length) / 2cm (width) which would be 80 FU/cm2 - which is much more realistic.

The only way the donor density is 160 FU/cm2 is if the width of the strip was 1cm. I'm not saying this is impossible. I'm just looking for clarification on your math.

Best wishes,

Bill

With all due respect Bill

24.3 cm is the actual surface area.

Length and width of the strip was already factored into this measurement

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 4 months later...

why are we all so obsessed with graft counts and number of fu/cm2? wouldn't it be better and easier to simply compare the area of the removed strip - i.e. 24.3 cm2, with the area that needed to be covered as discussed/drawn in pre-op consultation? not sure what that is in this case, but Shamrock you must have it, or ask Adrian to give it to you... let's say it's 40 cm2 or 45 cm2 (similar to Predator)... so, grafts/donor density aside, you had 24.3 cm2 worth of donor hair spread over 40 cm2, which gives you 61% coverage overall at your normal/donor density, whatever that may be... you probably got more than that in the hairline and a little less in the back, but overall it sounds very good to me, your result should be great...

isn't that a better way of looking at things? i wish more people, when posting results, would include the measurements of the strip removed and the area that needs to be covered, especially since you get those things from your doctor anyway... and not focus obsessively on grafts received and fu/cm2 in donor/recepient...

however, as for grafts received and fu/cm2 in donor/recepient in Shamrock's case... 3888 grafts in an area of about 40 cm2 - that's over 97 fu/cm2!!! surely, that cannot be, can it??? or is Shamrock's recepient area much larger than it seems?